PDA

View Full Version : OS Giken Gear Oil

endlessCT9Amr
05-16-2009, 03:17 PM
I know OS Giken recommends this gear oil for the LSDs, but wondering if anyone's used it in a stock rear pumpkin. Too thick? Doesn't seem to be any thicker than Redline Shockproof heavy...

Some insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's 80W-250 GL-5 by the way.

j_nizzle
05-16-2009, 03:26 PM
i know this stuff is especially popular with the nissan crowd.

seems like it should work fine considering it's a performance oriented LSD oil....

endlessCT9Amr
05-16-2009, 03:37 PM

seems like it should work fine considering it's a performance oriented LSD oil....

Yeah, I have two cans left after some work on an S15. Wondering if this would work well in the transfer case as well.

j_nizzle
05-16-2009, 03:39 PM

Yeah, I have two cans left after some work on an S15. Wondering if this would work well in the transfer case as well.

i would rather let some experts (RRE/MFQ/TT or of the like) to chime in on this...given the weight of the oil, seems to be heavier than the OEM diaqueen...

endlessCT9Amr
05-16-2009, 03:42 PM

i would rather let some experts (RRE/MFQ/TT or of the like) to chime in on this...given the weight of the oil, seems to be heavier than the OEM diaqueen...

Hmm... well, I've been using Redline Shockproof Heavy in the transfer case and it's worked beautifully. Considering how thick that shiet is, I'm thinking this stuff should be fine... I'm open to hearing other opinions regardless.

j_nizzle
05-16-2009, 03:46 PM
i run Redline Shockproof as well...it doesnt seem to upset anything.

in the end, it's lubricant :gheyfight: try it out, so long as it's as thick/heavy as the oem stuff, i dont see any catastrophic failure in your future.

Charlie@MFQ
05-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Motul Gear Competition LSD Oil - 75W140 or Cusco LSd oil.Â* This what i uses on my race evo with cusco 1.5way RS LSD.Â* Your OS Giken is clutch type LSD and should be he same as Cusco.

Massimo Power
05-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Redline Heavy Weight Shock Proof has the characteristics of 85w-250 weight oil...

Considering that it is used all the time for the Center diff, This oil would definetly work in the Center Diff...

As far as the rear diff, as long as it has friction modifier in it for LSD's, It should work wonders as well...

The heavy weight stuff is mostly used by the track guys to help protect the rear diff under extreme heat and abuse.. Seeing as you wont really see heavy abuse on it during Daily Driving even with 100º weather, it isnt really needed to run that fluid... But it won't hurt...

Charlie@MFQ
05-16-2009, 04:10 PM
putting redline stuff in clutch type lsd will fk it up.

Massimo Power
05-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Not with the proper Friction Modifier...

Charlie@MFQ
05-16-2009, 05:32 PM

why go through all that, when you just go out and buy the right fluids first the time.

P.S. do you have clutch type LSD in your evo ?

Massimo Power
05-16-2009, 05:37 PM

why go through all that, when you just go out and buy the right fluids first the time.

Some people like to use the thicker fluids to help protect the rear diff under high heat and stress like that experianced during track conditions... So they'll go with the Heavy Weight Shock Proof and friction modifier... For those who dont want to even bother with that there are other fluids like redline 75w140 which already has the LSD addative in it so its good to go...

I have the stock rear LSD so yes i have a clutch type LSD....

endlessCT9Amr
05-16-2009, 05:51 PM

Some people like to use the thicker fluids to help protect the rear diff under high heat and stress like that experianced during track conditions... So they'll go with the Heavy Weight Shock Proof and friction modifier... For those who dont want to even bother with that there are other fluids like redline 75w140 which already has the LSD addative in it so its good to go...

I think you guys may have gone off topic for a sec.... :) In any case, I'm assuming from all the back and forth that the OS Giken 80W-250 would be fine for the pumpkin and the transfer case...?

Massimo Power
05-16-2009, 05:59 PM

I think you guys may have gone off topic for a sec.... :) In any case, I'm assuming from all the back and forth that the OS Giken 80W-250 would be fine for the pumpkin and the transfer case...?

Yes Sir O0