Looney Tuning
05-26-2009, 03:13 PM
This Evo X GSR belongs to mrdeluxe86. It had the following modifications:

HKS Exhaust
HKS Downpipe
HKS intake
HKS hard pipes
HKS BOV VTA

The two main parts that I did not like were the VTA BOV and the HKS intake.

It is well known that a VTA BOV is problematic on an Evo, especially the Evo X. I told the owner to swap back to the stock BOV, but he insisted on keeping the VTA BOV. Well, the VTS BOV triggers a p1241 code and the car goes into limp mod because of it. It is possible that the code would be eliminated if the BOV is re-circulated, but I am not sure of that. The best option here is to swap back to the stock BOV.

The HKS intake is also of a poor design. It sits in the engine bay right behind of the radiator fan w/o any heat shield. Just take a look at this picture and see for yourself.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Tommy/HKS_Evo_Intake.gif

Predictably the intake failed to reduce the IATs much. Here are the average IAT numbers for the intake as logged on 3 WOT 4th gear logs:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Tommy/hks_iat.gif

The average IAT starts at ~91* F and ends at ~89* F, a slight decrease of 2* F. By contrast, the stock intake is capable of reducing IATs, by 6* F during a 4th gear WOT pull. I have been collecting IAT data on several drop-ins and intakes and I will soon do a write-up on my findings. As a sneak preview, the intake that lowers IATs the most has been the Injen.

It is also common to expect the AFR to go leaner with an intake, but that is the not the case with the HKS. HKS probably used a MAF housing that is the same size as stock and this prevented the AFR from leaning out. The AFR was incredibly rich on this car. It basically flat lined the Zeitronix meter at 9.6:1. I never knew that the ZT2 does not go below 9.6:1. I would have loved to test with the LM-1 to see the richness of the AFR on this car. FWIW, here are the results of the stock AFR and the tuned AFR.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Tommy/afr_b4_after.gif

The tuned AFR was much leaner than the stock one. I do not know by how much since the AFR meter flat-lined. I set the AFR in the mid 11s at peak and then slowly tapered it to 11:1 by redline.

The stock boost on this car was also on the low side of things. First, boost peaked at 21 psi at a rather late 4500 rpm and then tapered to peak of 15 psi by redline. By contrast, the tuned boost peak 1000 rpm higher at 24-25 psi and held to 18.8 psi by redline. This was 4-5 psi higher at peak and 3.8 psi higher by redline.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Tommy/boost_b4_after.gif

The airflow numbers on the car also improved. While peak airflow at 3500 rpm was ~20 lb/min on the stock tune, it improved to ~ 23 lbs/min on after the tune. The all important redline airflow improved by 3.4 lb/min to 38 lbs/min. Some estimate that the limits of the stock turbo is reached at ~40-42 lbs/min.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Tommy/airflow_b4_after.gif

Given the leaner AFR and the higher airflow numbers from stock, the gains in the power curve were very impressive.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Tommy/dyno_b4_after.gif

As noted on the chart the highest to lowest gains were as follows:

Maximum gain of 60 hp @ 6670 rpm
Maximum gain of 51 ft-lb @ 3830 rpm

Peak gain of 43 hp
Peak gain of 39 ft-lb

Minimum gain of 18 hp @ 4500 rpm
Minimum gain of 9 ft-lb @ 4700 rpm

I have been in contact with the owner of the car and he has wisely decided to get a re-circulation kit for the BOV. After he installs it, I will re-log the car and see if there are any adjustments needed for the tune.

evo ippo
05-26-2009, 04:10 PM
yeah he should get a heat shield for the intake , after we install a custom heat shield for our EVO X Intake it help alot. Hey Naji tell the owner to give send us a pm we can fab up a custom heat shield for him and then he will make alot of power lol

sneakypete
05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Not sure why people like the VTA bov...from all the research done by the shops on this board and personal feedback from members, that's enough to stick to the stock bov. I guess it's the swoosh sound they like.

Nice gains though...60 hp is like switching from 91 to e85; actually it's more like 85 hp at the wheels for my car.

Good job Naji.

4G63 FEVER
05-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Man the 10's make good power with minimal mods. Interesting to see if they will be able to produce the BIG numbers later on.

Still gonna stick with my 8 though, looks wise the 10 just doesn't work for me.

Good job Naji and congrats to the owner on the new power. Listen to Naji and get rid of the ricer BOV.

sxe_davexxx
05-27-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm surprised you tuned this evox (since he has a VTA BOV)

Do you think he would be able to hold more boost with the stock bov?

For the mods he has, the stock airbox with a simple drop-in filter would have been enough.

baylorar
05-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* For the mods he has, the stock airbox with a simple drop-in filter would have been enough.

I disagree with this.Â* Open element filters allow you to hold boost longer across the RPM band (thus higher peak hp numbers).Â*

Good looking numbers off the Evo X.Â* Good read Naji

Looney Tuning
05-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm surprised you tuned this evox (since he has a VTA BOV)

Do you think he would be able to hold more boost with the stock bov?

For the mods he has, the stock airbox with a simple drop-in filter would have been enough.

I always tell the customers to switch back to the stock Evo x or ix bov. If they do not have that, then I tell them to re-circulate the BOV. But if they insist on a VTA BOV, I just go ahead and tune it that way. The Evo 8/9 can run with a VTA BOV without triggering a CEL. It is not possible to do that with the Evo X.

An open filter intake allows the car to hold about 1-2 psi more by redline. The HKS intake on this car is poorly designed and a drop-in would have indeed been better. If I had a X and wanted an intake, the only one I would get is the Injen.

FushunEvo
05-29-2009, 03:45 AM
Impressive numbers you got there. I also got a tune with the same bov and was experiencing the same problems with going into limp mode while on partial throttle in 4th or 5th. Would you need a retune after swapping the bov back to stock? I think my tuner gave me a mild tune cause of the bov giving the car boost spikes up to 30 psi.

Looney Tuning
05-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Impressive numbers you got there. I also got a tune with the same bov and was experiencing the same problems with going into limp mode while on partial throttle in 4th or 5th. Would you need a retune after swapping the bov back to stock? I think my tuner gave me a mild tune cause of the bov giving the car boost spikes up to 30 psi.

We did not get any boost spikes. I think it is wise to get your car logged after you go back to the stock BOV and see if the tune has changed or not. That is what I plan to do with this car.

storm_trooper
06-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey Naji, I have been in touch with you and plan on submitting my form sometime this week. I am currently running VTA with my BOV, not by choice, but the UICP i got from a friend had the flange for the BOV there and it doenst have a recirc kit. But im not throwing any codes and do not have the issue of stuttering in 4th-5th gear on partial throtle. Also i have recently done a dyno run ( thanks mike w. :) ) at the SCM el torro event. so i have some logs if that is helpful to you. Thanks for the insight and feel free to take to PM's if necessary !!!!

Looney Tuning
06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey Naji, I have been in touch with you and plan on submitting my form sometime this week. I am currently running VTA with my BOV, not by choice, but the UICP i got from a friend had the flange for the BOV there and it doenst have a recirc kit. But im not throwing any codes and do not have the issue of stuttering in 4th-5th gear on partial throtle. Also i have recently done a dyno run ( thanks mike w. :) ) at the SCM el torro event. so i have some logs if that is helpful to you. Thanks for the insight and feel free to take to PM's if necessary !!!!

You are not throwing codes now, but you will throw codes later. I have yet to read about an Evo X with a VTA that does not throw codes when tuned. Please put the stock UICP on and go back to the stock BOV. The UICP does not make much power difference anyway.

If you insist on the BOV, I will tune it, but be aware that codes will be thrown. Then you will get fed up and put the stock BOV back on and come back for a re-tune.

The owner of this car re-circulated the BOV and it changed the AFR and boost profile on the car. So I had to do a re-tune on it. I do not know why this happened, but it did. I believe that MAF equipped cars and BOV do not play well together. I do not know if the car threw a code after re-circulating the BOV. I will ask him and see.

Please learn from this and do the right thing from the get go. Put the stock UICP and the stock BOV back on. Why do you have to pay twice, once for a tune and then for a re-tune?

I do not like people wasting their money, especially in this bad economy.

storm_trooper
06-22-2009, 01:48 PM
well i dont have the UICP on for power gains. i have it on to smooth out the power curve and also air flow. Have you tuned a X with a true CAI along with VTA bov ? Could you give me a heads up on why after tuning, the car throws codes. The people i have seen with true CAI and VTA havent had that issue, just trying to get an understanding :) thanks