PDA

View Full Version : factory anti lag for USDM evo 9

maikumaru
05-30-2009, 08:10 PM
A couple of people on here knew my latest project....
I normally would not post about a new install, as really that is not my thing...however.

I am so pleased with the result that I am going to claim this one.

As far as I know this is the only usdm evo (8 or 9) that has factory SAS or...we would like to call it street tuned anti lag (lol).Â* (oem parts with USDM ECU)

it took forever to get the parts, and a bunch of help from friends in japan and the UK.

Of course it took some brilliant tuning by a good friend of mine to get it all to work.

Here are some videos of it in action
we wanted to through a test pipe on just for giggles...but didnt happen...result is with an Apexi HFC installed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdvEhPGtPDY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q76hVV4SlFk

It is mildly tuned, and since I dont have jdm 3 bar map sensor installed...I cant log boost to show the differece...regardless it is so much fun to drive.

Wide shot...
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/16209/IMG_1091.JPG

close up of pipe and banjo bolt
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/16209/IMG_1092.JPG

SAS valve mounted in the stock position above intake cam position sensor (all USDM evo's have these mounting points btw) Two 30mm M8 bolts holding it in.
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/16209/IMG_1093.JPG

upper IC with outlet to BOV and SAS valve
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/16209/IMG_1094.JPG

From the side...note how tight everything fits...I had to remove the stock outer cover of the battery to make it all fit...upper IC pipe rubs on battery now. I suppose USDM evos get screwed with the bigger battery

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/16209/IMG_1095.JPG

all the sensors are mounted underneath the air intake box.

ohhgyeahfasho
05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
sick! i like it, care to tell us the parts that you needed to get and install? i want to see ENGINE bay pics :D..

scumdog
05-30-2009, 09:20 PM
i dont understand how antilag works.i hear tha bang-bang from it,other then that,in idiot language so i can understand,how does it work?i have read about it but i dont get it still

Evolutionized
05-30-2009, 09:37 PM
i dont understand how antilag works.i hear tha bang-bang from it,other then that,in idiot language so i can understand,how does it work?i have read about it but i dont get it still

haha from what i know i thinkk anti lage lets in a little extra gas creating a bang to keep the turbo spooled inbetween shifts?

i could be wrong

mrobs15
05-30-2009, 09:39 PM

haha from what i know i thinkk anti lage lets in a little extra gas creating a bang to keep the turbo spooled inbetween shifts?

i could be wrong

When the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal the ignition timing is altered with sometimes 40° or more of delay (retard) and the intake air and fuel supply mixture is made richer. The inlet butterfly is kept slightly open or an air injector, bypassing the inlet butterfly, is used to maintain air supply to the engine. This results in air/fuel mixture that keeps getting in the combustion chambers when the driver no longer accelerates. The ignition being severely delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned. When the spark plug fires, the exhaust valve is starting to open due to the ignition delay mentioned above. Additionally, the exhaust temperature being extremely high, the unburned fuel explodes at the contact of the exhaust tubes. Luckily the turbo sits right there and the explosion keeps it turning (otherwise it would slow down since its intake, the exhaust gases, is cut-off). The effect is vastly lower response times with some downsides:

A quick rise of the turbocharger's temperature (which jumps from ~800°C to the 1100°C+ region) whenever the system is activated
A huge stress on the exhaust manifold and pipes (mounted on a street car a bang-bang system would destroy the exhaust system within 50-100 km)
The turbo produces significant boost even at engine idle speeds
The explosions which occur in the exhaust tubes generate important flames which can, sometimes, be seen at the end of the exhaust tube
Reduced engine brake
The ALS effect is mostly dependent on the quantity of air allowed into the engine, the more air supplied the more the ALS effect will be noticeable. Consequently ALS systems can be more or less aggressive. A mild ALS will maintain a 0 to 0.3 bar pressure in the inlet manifold when activated whereas, when inactive, the pressure in the inlet manifold with the throttle closed would be in the region of -1 bar (absolute vacuum). Racing ALS versions can maintain a pressure of up to 1.5 bar in the inlet manifold with the throttle closed.
While the systems mounted in Toyota and Mitsubishi racing cars are relatively smooth and noiseless those fitted in Ford and Subaru cars are much more noisy and aggressive.
The bang-bang system owns its name to the loud explosion noises one hears whenever the driver lifts off. Most racing implementations have user selectable anti-lag settings depending on the terrain, usually three settings can be selected by the driver going from mild to very aggressive.

Note that some regional or national European events prohibit the use of ALS systems while more and more WRC events regulate the noise levels allowed by competition cars effectively disabling ALS.

Starting in 2002 new anti-lag techniques, such as Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), are slowly overtaking the method described above as they are kinder on the engine's mechanical parts.

from http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/bangbang.html

that is a good way of explaining it if you ask me.

maikumaru
05-30-2009, 10:51 PM
parts off the top of my head
Evo 7 exhaust manifold (any manifold with the banjo holes would work though)
two banjo bolts (drilled out)
one evo 9 sas pipe (Secondary air system in the manual)
one sas valve
one SAS sensor
one resevoir tank for SAS sensor
one upper IC pipe (any jdm/ukdm upper IC pipe with the SAS outlet would work)
one sweet ass custom made autozone heater hoze connecting upper IC pipe to sas valve.
Pin for ecu pin 4 (SAS sensor)

ECU flash
Ill post some pics...but my engine is stockish except for the upper IC pipe from trust.

hiphopfeinds
05-30-2009, 11:22 PM
thats sick i want anti lag

maikumaru
05-30-2009, 11:52 PM
thanks...I am stoked how it turned out

FUEL
05-31-2009, 12:42 AM
what is your main reason for using the anti-lag system?

maikumaru
05-31-2009, 01:56 AM
I am re-installing guages now...I just want to see if it holds boost on throttle lift.
Map switch will also be put in...this will enable me to run much more aggressive sas/als

on another note...I have always been interested with it. Since it comes stock on JDM and UKDM models (fq260 excluded)

EVO Neil
05-31-2009, 05:39 AM
Glad to hear it is up and running on your car! Can't wait for my ride!

scumdog
05-31-2009, 08:09 AM
what parts of your exhaust does it ruin? manifold?

jdmcwestevo
05-31-2009, 09:31 AM
it can ruin a lot of stuff actually. lots and lots of heat kills the manifold, turbo, his HFC probably isnt too happy lol

jdmcwestevo
05-31-2009, 09:34 AM
for example a while back this was a huge thread on evom and a bunch of guys myself included just made or ign timing -10 on lift off which gave us the bang bang noise and i was happy with that lol my egts were fine etc. but the force from it rattle bolts loose and it got annoying after a while because i'd look under my hood and miss half my damn manifold bolts lol and yes i torque them down to spec and everything. that was on my red evo so idk its cool and everything but for a street car idk if its really necessary

maikumaru
05-31-2009, 10:01 AM
yea well aware of what it can do....so it is really not that aggressive at all
current settings

If I am above the below
above 30kph
above 3000 RPM
about 30% throttle

about 1.5s of air injection is given on throttle lift.
along with some timing

I will throw the good ol tp on soon

you got it Neil, just let me throw the map switch on...should this week

it isnt necessary, but the beauty is it comes stock pretty much on non usdm cars.Â* We drive a rally car after all, why not get it it to go with the oem parts...?
just a really good project learned a lot about how cheap mitsubishi really is and how on the US models we get the worst of it.

SoCalRedLine
05-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Dude, nice job mike. I'd like to check this out. Think I could get a ride :)

maikumaru
05-31-2009, 12:19 PM
thanks Mike,
yea sure thing. you still have my number? shoot me a PM if you dont.
I was wondering when you would find this one :-P

ebmaster
05-31-2009, 01:04 PM
those two video's did not prove much to me. Get a louder tbe and we'll all see that u have an anti-lag.

ebmaster
05-31-2009, 01:06 PM
doesn't anti-lag kill the turbo quiker? I heard that it does.

ohhgyeahfasho
05-31-2009, 01:07 PM
doesn't anti-lag kill the turbo quiker? I heard that it does.

its possible with the extreme heat the ALS causes..Â* :buck2: but you gotta pay to play so just suck it up! :P

edit : hehe... :D

But honestly, I think it shouldn't do too much harm cause old Evos used to come standard with them, although I could also be wrong because I do not own one nor have I been in one. That brings me to another thing I want to ask the OP..

HEY CAN I RIDE IN YOUR CAR!? :D

maikumaru
05-31-2009, 10:08 PM
those two video's did not prove much to me. Get a louder tbe and we'll all see that u have an anti-lag.

no. lol gotta love socalevo

a cat is installed right now...hence the silence.
Some more tweaking and testing will be done...and of course done with a test pipe.

EVO Neil
06-01-2009, 12:10 AM
no. lol gotta love socalevo

Yeah, I heard it will ruin your transmission also. Ha ha ha. I heard from a friend of my friends second cousin that you won't get as many chicks with it...lol. So much crap on here now sometimes.

Evolutionized
06-01-2009, 12:49 AM
neil less posting and more info on that exhaust! hahah

maikumaru
06-01-2009, 07:14 AM
hey Neil do you have auto AC in your 7?
I might have another project coming up hahahaha.

of course let me know when you want to see this in person, but for the full effect let me get a hold of a TP first...

EVO Neil
06-01-2009, 07:42 AM
hey Neil do you have auto AC in your 7?
I might have another project coming up hahahaha.

of course let me know when you want to see this in person, but for the full effect let me get a hold of a TP first...

Nope, no auto climate control.

EVO Neil
06-01-2009, 07:48 AM
neil less posting and more info on that exhaust! hahah

It looks like that exhaust will be up for sale! PM me and we can work out a deal!

maikumaru
07-03-2009, 12:50 AM
update...since me and Mr. Tzz tuning are so proud of the result.

More timing...and a test pipe...among other things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha7TQDQs18Q

it really is too much for driving around town (obviously). With a cat I could get away with it...
By the way...after all of this, the HFC looks fine. no worries.

Enjoy the small clip...

cant get the map switch to work...so if there is any troubleshooting with said switch...help a brother out...

actually...map switch works...but works after like 30 minutes...it is really strange.

evox08
08-06-2009, 06:33 PM
that pretty kool that you got all to work, just curious comparing the anti lag to say modern turbo like the Tomei Arms, Fp Green and FP Red that have very little lag is the anti lag worth it ??? either way i like anti lag reminds me of rally cars lol

maikumaru
08-06-2009, 10:25 PM
wrc cars still use it.Â* so there is a use for sure.Â* actually kinda funny, I dont think i would run it on a aftermarket setup...personal feeling, stock bits on the evo are so beefy...no need to.Â* Mine is medium...not far off the -40 degrees of timing (almost 30) but since it only actuats on 0-30% load does not turn on too often around town.

it has its place no doubt...I dig it, and enjoy it almost every day lol

oh and ohhgyeahfasho...anytime you want a ride. no problem.

jdmcwestevo
08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
how did u get it to dip into the -30degrees lol we need to talk

maikumaru
08-06-2009, 10:34 PM
-28 actually :-)
geekmapped and lancer register...

My good friend though is the genius behind the ecu portion as he did the leg work...lol

my ecu is a one off dealio...lol

eddieededy
08-07-2009, 01:11 AM
so if its is stock on JDM and UK evos , why dont we have it?

i am in japan right now, i will go to a used car dealer and ask to see the engin, i will take pix.

how it feels? no lag at all? i have EVO8 i would like to use AnitLang sometimes (not DD)

can it be regulated (on or off)

can i get a ride in ur car?

fusionchicken
08-07-2009, 01:43 AM
how it feels? no lag at all? i have EVO8 i would like to use AnitLang sometimes (not DD)

ditto all questions!

pikadosboy
08-07-2009, 02:34 AM
so if its is stock on JDM and UK evos , why dont we have it?

i am in japan right now, i will go to a used car dealer and ask to see the engin, i will take pix.

C'mon you better stay in Japan !

maikumaru
08-07-2009, 08:55 AM

ditto all questions!

good question, I am not sure why we did not get it...could be because of emission laws. But there are a number of things ct9a did not get. Auto AC, AYC etc. UK fq260 did not get it, and I believe EUDM did not get it either (europe). But for the vast majority of CT9a did get the secondary air system.

there are plenty of pics online and just from the top you wont see the most important part to make it work with the ECU...Secondary air solenoid (underneath intake manifold in stock position). The tuning for it is honestly advanced...at least the way it went about on mine. There is a guy in colorado who just got his "going"...but did the tuning a different way.

I think it feels great. I need to get jdm 3 bar solenoid to log boost to show the difference...but that is low on priority list.

When it is off, it feels more laggy, but I cant quantify it without graphs. Accel feels slower without it...

turning on and off;...I went with a map switch and it dosnt work quite right. it switches but only after like 30min. Turning off is easy with a laptop...

sure, I am proud of the result, rides no worries. my car is no 500 hp evo, but I feel is using the stock bits quite well, stock ecu is at its limit for sure.

eddieededy
08-12-2009, 07:43 PM
great job... i'm still rying to put the parts 2gthr for this ALS...

maikumaru
08-13-2009, 09:14 AM
good luck...just to help you out a bit

you need-->if you go my route...

SAS piping (evo 7 or 8 would work for you lucky guy)
SAS valve (7 or 8 again)
SAS solenoid
fuell injector clip (to attach to solenoid-->then to ECU)
I think it is called the pcv tank...need that also
2 banjo bolts
Exhaust manifold (ukdm/jdm evo 7, 8 or 9 all work)
upper IC pipe
evo 8 ecu pin
wire

A rom that has the ALS tables enabled.

if you can read japanese; and know what parts to get;

Catnet, usually has some great parts on yahoo auctions..
http://storeuser3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/user/catnet06

piping and valve...
http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s140339659?u=;catnet06

use this for searching
2æŹĄă‚šă‚ąă‚·ă‚čテăƒ*
スă‚*マニ 4G63
ăƒžăƒ‹ă€€ïŒ”ïœ‡ïŒ–ïŒ“
ă‚šăƒœă€€ïŒ”ïœ‡ïŒ–ïŒ“

eddieededy
08-14-2009, 05:50 PM
thank u so much!!!!

ă‚ă‚ŠăŒăšă†ă”ă–ă„ăŸă—ăŸă€‚
ăăźăƒ‘ăƒŒăƒ„ă‚’ć–ă‚Šä»˜ă‘ă—ăŸă‚‰ăŠçŸ„ă‚‰ă ›ă—ăŸă™!!

maikumaru
08-15-2009, 12:16 AM
ははははは

ăŸă‚ă‚ă€ä»Šă‹ă‚‰æ—„æœŹèȘžă*よă*。笑。
é*‘ćŒ”ă‚ŠăŸă™ă€‚ă€‚ă€‚

æœŹćœ“ă«äœ•ă§ă‚‚èŠă‚‹ăšæ•™ăˆăŠäž‹ă•ă„ă€‚

もし、ちゃんべć‡șæ„ăŸă‚‰ă€ă™ă”ăè‰Żă „ç”æžœăšæ€ă†ă€‚
漜しく

danielnk
08-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Hi guys,

Couple of infos that maybe can explain a bit what ALS system is.

Don`t judge my post just read it if you find it interesting.

First ALS system was used in racing by Toyota Team Europe and it was known as "Toyota Combustion Control System".

Mitsubishi called the system "Post Combustion Control System".

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6920/img1758tn.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5290/img1759tn.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5290/img1759tn.jpg

One of the restrictor effects is increased lag time.Racing cars and more specifically in rally cars use anti-lag systems in order to avoid turbo lag time.

I don`t recommend SAS system unless if you don`t have it from the factory unless you realy need it.

For the "bang effect" I think we can have it from our ECU ignition map.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6718/img1765tn.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9103/img3410tn.jpg

Lag time is is the time needed for the turbine to reach its full throttle from an intermediate rotation.Lag time depends on many factors like back pressure, airflow efficiency, inertia etc.

SAS system and the turbo dump valve acts each time the driver lifts his foot from the throttle.The valve will evacuate the air coming out of the turbocharger while the inlet manifold is closed allowing the turbine not to stall.

Rally cars with a FIA restrictor, in order to be able to produce enough boost pressure and assure a sufficient engine output need to use SAS hardwere and different ECU remapping.

If the turbo lag time is a big issue in your driving mods you can just use without any problem "left foot braking" in order to decrease turbo lag time......so brake the car with your left foot while with the right foot keep the car in acceleration to keep the turbocharger in optimal load.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9246/9turbowithrestrictortn.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3871/0611121137tn.jpg

When the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal the ignition timing is altered with sometimes 40° or more of delay (retard) and the intake air and fuel supply mixture is made richer.The inlet butterfly is kept slightly open or an air injector, bypassing the inlet butterfly, is used to maintain air supply to the engine.This results in air/fuel mixture that keeps getting in the combustion chambers when the driver no longer accelerates.The ignition being severely delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned.When the spark plug fires, the exhaust valve is starting to open due to the ignition delay.Exhaust temperature being extremely high, the unburned fuel explodes at the contact of the exhaust tubes causes the bang effect.

Downsides of using SAS is a quick rise of the turbocharger's temperature (800°C to 1100°C) whenever the system is activated.Also a huge stress on the exhaust manifold and pipes (mounted on a street car a bang-bang system would destroy the exhaust system within 50-100 km).The turbo produces significant boost even at engine idle speeds when the SAS is activated.The explosions which occur in the exhaust tubes generate important flames which can be seen at the end of the exhaust tube.

The ALS effect is mostly dependent on the quantity of air allowed into the engine.More air supplied means ALS effect will be more noticeable.

Mild ALS will maintain a 0 to 0.3 bar pressure in the inlet manifold when activated whereas, when inactive, the pressure in the inlet manifold with the throttle closed would be in the region of -1 bar (absolute vacuum). Racing ALS versions can maintain a pressure of up to 1.5 bar in the inlet manifold with the throttle closed.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1412/dsc1396tn.jpg

Thanks to all the guys like maikumaru who spend a lot of time on testing this on their cars "in the name of science"

They show that you evan with a minimum investment you can have "bangs" with a OEM modified ECU without spending on a GEMS HKS AEM or HALTECH ems in order to experience this.

maikumaru
08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
ha ha ha...Daniel you found this forum?

thanks for the kind words!

How is your setup treating you?

danielnk
08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi my friend

I look over your shoulder

You are far from me but thanks to you maybe I will pass the finish line also

Thanks 4 great job anyway

You are more stubborn than me I admit......

maikumaru
08-17-2009, 12:29 PM
hahaha oh no man, those guys on geekmapped sure do great work. Those guys really have a love for our cars. I am just fortunate enough to get it to work. But there is not much interest about this stateside. The UK and EU (you are from Spain right?) guys seem to really like it.

Right now I am accumulating parts to put it on my good friends 8. So hopefully he can be #2 in california.

danielnk
08-17-2009, 12:39 PM
hahaha oh no man, those guys on geekmapped sure do great work. Those guys really have a love for our cars. I am just fortunate enough to get it to work. But there is not much interest about this stateside. The UK and EU (you are from Spain right?) guys seem to really like it.

Right now I am accumulating parts to put it on my good friends 8. So hopefully he can be #2 in california.

All the respect for geekmapped from me also

I know what you are talking about

I think I will try my chance also on yahoo japan auctions for a system

Seems that with 100 usd I can buy it (at least this is what I saw over there)

I try my chance like as a newbie with the ALS between ignition retard limit and ignition maps from Ralliart EDM

I want to get a EGR system and convert it to work as a ALS system with some small modifications.....

I will see about this....

maikumaru
08-17-2009, 02:16 PM
hrm that is interesting using an EGR system for it. Any secrets you can divulge in how you plan on doing that? That certainly is unique. I personally feel if you can just get the piping/ex mani/ solenoid and flash to an SAS enabled ROM it would be less intensive.

I realized that my Camp 2 logs timing...I thought that it hasnt been acting strong enough...sure enough I am only -10. So we will be re investigating.

But anything more than -10 really would be just terrible for around town.

HMatt
08-17-2009, 06:04 PM
^yeah... but it would be spectacular!

maikumaru
08-17-2009, 08:42 PM
absolutely! -20 is the goal...twice as much fuel would be nuts...

danielnk
08-18-2009, 02:07 AM
True anti-lag system into this picture:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/53/wrcevo1.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5293/enginex.jpg

danielnk
08-18-2009, 02:23 AM
Today's WRC cars use anti-lag systems which feed air directly to the exhaust system.

The reason is that these systems are more refined, more effective with advanced computer control, and also quieter.

I think the key here is the turbo pressure or what boost you run in order to make the system working as a true anti-lag.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4697/img6516.jpg

4g63kevin
12-14-2009, 09:40 PM
sick! makes me want to get antilag too! hehe ;P

boostinboy
12-15-2009, 12:59 AM
sick! makes me want to get antilag too! hehe ;P
OMG man im been looking your post and you really are a post whore!

Also stop bumping old threads!

maikumaru
12-15-2009, 11:11 AM
lol not that old man...
yea me and my buddy are still really proud of this one

you can do it also...just takes a lil research and some cash to get teh parts

Jeffs2006EvoIX
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I like how the JDM Evo's work as well, but this one??? I think spending the money on some decent aftermarket parts and a good tune will net similar results with more margin of error. The reason this didn't come on the USDM cars is mainly for Emissions reasons I am sure, curious to know if you need to disable this at smog time?? Its a great idea, but also note that the JDM Evo's have the Magnesium Turbine that also adds to quicker spool up. What happend to those cars? Well in Europe the Magnesium turbines were getting too hot and falling apart causing Turbo Failures. So maybe our USDM set up isn't that bad. haha.

Boosted
01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I like how the JDM Evo's work as well, but this one??? I think spending the money on some decent aftermarket parts and a good tune will net similar results with more margin of error. The reason this didn't come on the USDM cars is mainly for Emissions reasons I am sure, curious to know if you need to disable this at smog time?? Its a great idea, but also note that the JDM Evo's have the Magnesium Turbine that also adds to quicker spool up. What happend to those cars? Well in Europe the Magnesium turbines were getting too hot and falling apart causing Turbo Failures. So maybe our USDM set up isn't that bad. haha.

From what I understand the usdm evo's didn't come equipped with it mainly because of a lack of a production class race series that would actually utilize the system. Hence the reason it took 2 years just for us to get an ACD equipped evo stateside. If you actually look at the rom of a JDM/EUDM/ADM evo the secondary air system is completely disabled, so the lack of equipment on our evo's in the US based on smog is some what irrelevant. As for magnesium compressor wheels being prone to failure I am not sure where your getting that information from but modern treated magnesium is about 35% lighter than the aluminum alloy typically used when manufacturing an OEM compressor wheel yet its still between 20%-40% stronger! With that said, magnesium is still the alloy of choice in wrc for not only compressor wheels but the exhaust housing as well in wrc cars for its favorable heat tolerance and weight savings.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I heard about the Magnesium turbine failures in a Best Motoring Video, and certain features on the USDM cars are disabled for several reasons. I stated one. Emissions. Just like our cars don't have the JDM rear bumper for crash tests reasons. The JDM cars have no rear crash beam. Ours need it, hence no JDM rear bumper stock. I know emissions is the key reason for the this mod in question on this board. Can't prove it, but its the logical reason. the USDM cars are very good, I just don't see the appeal in spending thousands of $$$ to switch to JDM bits. To each their own. The Irony for me is, I like to read up on this stuff on what people do, but I would never do it personally.

maikumaru
01-26-2010, 10:41 PM
the standard response to why SAS is not installed on USDM cars is emissions. The real reason why it is removed...anyones guess is as good as mine, only Mitsu corporate would know the answer. The reason why it is installed in the first place is for homolgation reasons...if the requirements are already met and no more units need to be manufactured, no reason to manufacture or install the parts...

kane.s2k
03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
That's definitely not something you want in a car you drive anywhere but racing. It is brutal to the car. You will also more than likely blow out resonators/mufflers along with pre-mature wear of most metals and turbo-charger.

Pretty cool though O0

evo ace
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
If it is going to increase response, I'm all for it. Please PM me with any other information.

danielnk
04-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Unless you have a rally car fitted with a 32mm or 34mm restrictor you don`t need ALS.
In order to get rid of the lag that a FIA 33mm restrictor will give....yes..... you need ALS.
ALS can decrease or eliminate the lag induced by the turbo.To keep the turbo spinning while the throttle is closed you need exhaust (lots of hot air) to keep turning the turbine wheel.
Replaces the original idle speed control valve and you can control ALS but not with the OEM ECU.You will need a proper ECU to control 100% ALS.
I recommend ALS to be used with a 360thrust bearing turbo in order to use that turbo longer and definitely a EGT gauge in order to see when your engine or your turbo is close to melt.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
04-09-2010, 01:03 PM
:offtopic:

Here is my opinion, screw the anti lag and lets do something we all can really use and at a practical cost that is JDM. Â*Switch the MAP sensor from 1 bar USDM to the 3 BAR JDM!!! Now THAT is a mod worth doing IMO. Â*I am sure there is a post on the MAP switch somewhere here, but at least it would be a cost effective Mod that is practical for everyone (that tunes their Evo anyway.)

HMatt
04-09-2010, 01:37 PM
^if you want something more cost effective, get an omni 4 bar sensor. It's actually CHEAPER than the JDM, has the ability to read HIGHER, is LESS affected by temperature changes, and the output is much MORE linear.

It outperforms the JDM sensor in damn near every way, and costs less... so what's the point of using the JDM?

Jeffs2006EvoIX
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Just the point of using the JDM sensor being this is a JDM mod post I felt it appropriate. Many aftermarket bits are far superrior to stock in allot of categories. We can talk on that ALL DAY haha.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
04-09-2010, 04:25 PM
I am not certian, but can you use a 4 Bar MAP on a OEM USDM ECU and get results?

HMatt
04-10-2010, 08:27 PM
^yep... if you are using it on the tephra v7, it has the settings already in it for the JDM 3-bar, and the omni 4-bar... and according to some posts I have read, you can use higher-reading sensors as well, you just have to calibrate it properly.

clockworktoy
07-07-2010, 04:54 PM
You can use any Map sensor as long as you have the calibrations for it. There is a patch out there that allows you to do it on several roms (this was pre Tephra V6 or V7).

HMatt
07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
OK... you just necro-bumped this thread.

maikumaru
10-06-2011, 04:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63B5yc4uH8k