PDA

View Full Version : Best wheel specifications for the track?

GreaseFRT
06-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Are 18 inches too big? 17 too small? what is a good width? Wanted for autocross and track days. Should I use my stock IX Enkies and put slicks on those - then get DD rims? or vice versa. thanks!

2muchboost
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Are 18 inches too big? 17 too small? what is a good width? Wanted for autocross and track days. Should I use my stock IX Enkies and put slicks on those - then get DD rims? or vice versa. thanks!

If you are just starting up get a set of stock wheels and put some 255/40/17 R Compounds on them.
That will work just fine.
The main reason to move up to 18's is to fit bigger brakes.
A great starting point is stock wheels, r compounds, ss brake lines, fluid, pf97 brake pads, sway bar and alignment...
Do that and over time you will "feel" where you car is lacking. Call Muellerized, and he will tell you what you need to make it work.

GreaseFRT
06-15-2009, 10:15 AM
thanks for the input!

2muchboost
06-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Anytime!
Button willow is coming up on sept. 27th....
:)

GreaseFRT
06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
I am absolutely planning on it!!! Is there a sign up thread?

2muchboost
06-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I am absolutely planning on it!!! Is there a sign up thread?

Dont think so?
Rick and Julio were suppose to get on that...
Ill ask them.

Should be lots of fun//
I think we have at least 6 Long Beach peps that are in for sure!
:)

GreaseFRT
06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
that was way too much fun.

2manyawds
06-16-2009, 02:32 PM

If you are just starting up get a set of stock wheels and put some 255/40/17 R Compounds on them.
The main reason to move up to 18's is to fit bigger brakes.Â*
A great starting point is stock wheels, r compounds, ss brake lines, fluid, pf97 brake pads, sway bar and alignment...
Do that and over time you will "feel" where you car is lacking.Â* Call Muellerized, and he will tell you what you need to make it work.

+1, but you can squeeze 275's on the stockers if desired. It's what I've been doing for a while now O0

GreaseFRT
06-16-2009, 02:34 PM
275s?!?! what profile?

2manyawds
06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
/40.Â* And that's specific to Kumho V710's.Â* I've never tried to fit any other 275 on the evo.

Little tall (to combat potentially rolling the shoulder during cornering I run high 40's psi)
Slight rubbing in the front fender liners (at lock when fully compressed *not likely), the rears will put a slight polish on the trailing link arms.Â* I haven't needed to roll the rear fenders either (I did when I was anticipating running spacers)

GreaseFRT
06-16-2009, 03:19 PM
WOW - THANKS!

tanK
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Stock wheels, 255/40/17 will do fine. If you are starting out, don't start off on R-compounds. They have a "higher" break away limit than street tires. You will have to be haulin ass for them to start slipping... mix that with a relatively inexperienced/new driver and you could end up causing more damage. Start off on some street tires and call it a day.

GreaseFRT
06-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Stock wheels, 255/40/17 will do fine. If you are starting out, don't start off on R-compounds. They have a "higher" break away limit than street tires. You will have to be haulin ass for them to start slipping... mix that with a relatively inexperienced/new driver and you could end up causing more damage. Start off on some street tires and call it a day.

Good advice - but since I will be doing almost exclusively AutoX - damage caused by breakaway limit being reached is minor. I am sure the track is totally different.

gsrIXevo
06-16-2009, 03:30 PM
if any of you guys are running 275s on the stock wheel.... doesnt the slow response kill you? I had 255s and I admit I dont know how to drive, but to avoid a pot hole in the street would make my butt pucker up.

i just want to know how you deal with slow response on massive tires?

tanK
06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Same thing applies to auto-x. Â*I started off in auto-x and moved up into track. Â*You want to exercise car control with the car breaking loose of traction easier than harder... don't want to eat a wall of cones once you break over the limit of the sticky icky tires now do we?

275's on a 8" wheel is NOT recommended either. 255's are already pushing it. You will have a massive bulge from the sidewall which will create a sloppy soft steering input. 255's on 8" width, you can feel it, but its not going to kill you.

GreaseFRT
06-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I agree. I have a lot more car control experience - I grew up in the northeast - spent winters running all the snow/icy back roads. Just new to cones. I have stock size falkens - I plan to burn through those first. The intent of my post was to get input on wheel dimensions - not tires - but all input is welcome!

tanK
06-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Obviously the widest wheel is going to net you the widest rubber. Lower the offset, the wider the track. However, any combination of the two will require massive fender modification and plenty of cash. Our cars came with 17x8 (e8 and e9) so I would stick with whats "free."- especially if you're starting out, this is the most cost effective route.

GreaseFRT
06-16-2009, 03:40 PM
cool - I was hoping for the cost effective way! stock rims, stock(ish) rubber, practice, practice, practice, minor mod, practice, practice, practice, mod, practice, practice, practice, etc. that sound about right?

tanK
06-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Pretty much something to that effect :P

2muchboost
06-16-2009, 03:43 PM
^^
Perfect!
We all need lots and lots of practice!

2manyawds
06-17-2009, 12:05 AM

big +1 on the starting out comments. Take it easy, learn the limits, practice, practice, practice! However, when I moved up to r-comps I never noticed an uncontrollable break away, at least no more than street tires.

Back to wheels...
Depending on what class you anticipate running, wheel choices can be difficult.

Stock class = OEM diameter / OEM width / OEM offset (I think) I know you can run a 1/4" spacer, not sure if you can run the same difference in offset.

Prepared classes = anything goes

Street tire classes = no idea?

white9
06-17-2009, 12:19 AM
17x9 255/40-17

tanK
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM

big +1 on the starting out comments. Take it easy, learn the limits, practice, practice, practice! However, when I moved up to r-comps I never noticed an uncontrollable break away, at least no more than street tires.

Back to wheels...
Depending on what class you anticipate running, wheel choices can be difficult.

Stock class = OEM diameter / OEM width / OEM offset (I think) I know you can run a 1/4" spacer, not sure if you can run the same difference in offset.

Prepared classes = anything goes

Street tire classes = no idea?

lol not uncontrolled breakaway... never ran R's in auto-x but I can say for sure that you need more speed to get em loose on track.

Good point on auto-x limitations. You will be limited to the desired class you run in regards to tire size and even wheel selection at that point. HPDE's on the other hand... run whatever you want!

GreaseFRT
06-17-2009, 04:00 PM
noob question - what does HPDE mean?

tanK
06-17-2009, 04:01 PM
High Performance Driving Event - aka track day (redline track event, speedventure, etc. etc.)

evoruff
06-18-2009, 01:59 AM
Just go to a track day with either of those 2 companies above and start out at Streets of Willow in the beginner class. If you have a great lap time from that class then move up and also go to other local tracks too.

FUEL
06-18-2009, 02:10 AM

The main reason to move up to 18's is to fit bigger brakes.
Do that and over time you will "feel" where you car is lacking. Call Muellerized, and he will tell you what you need to make it work.

You don't need R-comps on your first track day. Your stock wheels with some street tires are fine. You will learn some car control with them. You have some snow/ice experience but this is a lot faster.....unless of course you did ice racing in the Northeast! 255/40/17 is a good size and will get you some fast times once you learn to drive your Evo fast. You should also upgrade your SS lines, and fluids, some decent brake pads and have fun!
and to add to the Muellerized fan boi "ish" ..... call Muellerized and get a good alignment.

aiza55
05-15-2014, 03:52 AM
What do you mean by 'best'? For optimum handling, fuel mileage, safety and long life, stay with the stock rim and tire size: it has been figured out by experts.