PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried an ACT six puck sprung disk with a stock pressure plate?

turbolarry
06-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Just kinda curious if anyone has tried a six puck sprung disk with a stock pressure plate?
I know the clamp load for the stocker is weak at approx. 2000 lbs, but matching it with a more aggressive disk should increase it's torque rating, right?
I know some guys daily drive with a six puck and claim no problems, and even the four puck Exide.
It's simple math according to ACT;
T = N x F x P x R

T = torque capacity
N = number of disk surfaces (ususally 2)
F = coefficient of friction (.25 for organic/.32 for race disk)
P = pressure /lbs. of clamp force
R = radius of gyration in feet (What is this?)

Working the formula backwards from known ACT clutch torque capacities I'm getting R = .36028 (approx.), but I really don't know what this means.

If I go ahead and try and calculate a torque capacity for a stock pressure plate with an ACT six puck I'm using these values;
N = 2 (but does this still apply to pucked disks?)
F= .30 (somewhere between organic and race, right?)
P = 2000 (stock pressure in lbs.)
R = .36028 (again derived from known clutch torque capacities)

2 x .30 x 2000 x .36028 = 432.3

Am I doing this right?Â* Would this combo really be a 430 ft. lbs. of torque clutch?Â* I know I have some approximations in there, but I used the lesser of the values.
Light pedal feel, but with harsh engagement?
I don't even need a clutch, I'm just thinking.

Azian
06-19-2009, 02:34 PM
yeah I had that setup for about 29k miles almost 30k I bought it from RRE early last year I believe it was alright pedal wasn't too soft of too hard but the engagement was really harsh and terrible I hated it but got used to it after awhile i'd just get the XTSD from massimo power its a great clutch its what I have now I have almost 2k miles with it and I love it fken awesome clutch IMHO hope this helps :D :D

Mike W
06-19-2009, 04:47 PM
You are trying to build an imaginary budget rowdy clutch?

Somewhere in your calculations you need the area of the pads I think. That affects the PSI on the friction material.

On DSMs when people would put puck clutches on a stock disc, it seemed like it needed more pressure. We'd pull them out and the pressure plate casting would have a big trough dug into it. DIsc would be more or less whole and thick. The clutch was slipping because the casting had moved too far from the wear. Stock DSM pressure was only 1600 lbs compared to roughly 2100 for the EVO though.

Many companies are doing what you are thinking about with mixed results.

Mike W

turbolarry
06-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Naw, I just think of worst case scenarios. What could I do if, heaven forbid, something happened to my ACT? If I had to get to work, do some overtime, get some money together, to get a proper clutch; would the budget rowdy hold me over? Could I still have fun with it?
Hmmm... the "Budget Rowdy." It kinda has a ring to it.

I would think pad area would effect the torque rating too, but ACT torque ratings remain the same between six and four pad disks. Or at least this is what they publish and it is the HD and XT pressure plates that make the difference.

Mike, when you refer to "casting" are you refering to the friction ring part of the pressure plate?

Azian
06-20-2009, 01:17 AM
I bought my act 6 puck clutch with stock pressure plate from RRE btw

Enzo
06-20-2009, 01:20 AM
This is a crazy idea!