PDA

View Full Version : HU Review (Eclipse CD5030)

Ixse
06-28-2009, 08:28 PM
I dunno how useful this thread will be, since all new X's have double dins.. but just in-case for those who are like me (have VIII or IX) and was thinking of getting new HU for awhile but hesitated since there was no knowledge towards audio car componentsÂ* O0
Also i'm extremely tired of studying for board exam, so just taking a break for a bitÂ* :-P

Prior to finding this HU:Â* I was debating between new speakers or the HU (as you can see on one of the other thread here). Doing some internet research and talking to local shop personal, I decided on getting this HU. The reasons will be stated on Pros and Cons section.

Item: Eclipse CD5030 single din HU. It's one of their new releases for 09. (msrp: $300)

Pros:Â*
1. It has built in bluetooth (the call quality is great, autoconnect with my phone works great, and its capable of live stream the music through bluetooth)
2. It can basically play anything out there (also for those Ipod users, you can have the HU take control of Ipod or the other way)
2. Esthetically it is not flashy, and blends in decently (more than some of other HU like pioneer or alphine). It doesn't use those shinny materials, which for some of you might turn into "cons" section.
3. The visibility of the screen is great, so far there was minimal glare, and I was always able to read whats on the screen. Now i know what time it is all the timeÂ* :grin:
4. The Music quality (one of the best part on this HU). You can probably look this up anywhere online, but it has 5v pre-output, 5 channel parametric EQ (this was something completely new to me), time alingment settings, positional settings, and all the normal settings that you can find in most of other HU. ***Even without toying with all these settings, the sound was already improved, and once I played with them a bit, now I really don't think i need extra speakers for a whileÂ* O0Â* The high's are much more crisp, and mid and low more defined.***
5. As much feature this HU has, it is fairly easy to navigate it through. I only had to look at the manual once (5min) to find one thing, then kinda just played with the unit to figure everything else out. Remote works perfectly.
6. It comes with 3 year warranty if you install it at eclipse approved dealer. Oh and if the unit gets stolen within 1 yr, eclipse will replace it for you for free.
7. And there is none of those STUPID "joystick" like buttons (pioneer use these often). Those buttons where horrifying, you try to push "IN", and it clicks to left or right.

Cons:
1. It only has 2 colors (red, blue). The red is very close to Audi interior red. and blue is those typical blue lights. So it doesn't really match our interiors.
2. The material does not feel high quality. Because this is detachable face unit, there is slight wiggle when you press on the peripheral areas of the face.
3. The WORST con for myself is that it won't read my USB stick automatically when i start up the car. It will say "reading", but then it kinda goes black. So everytime I start my car, I have to take my USB stick out and in to the jack. (But for some reason, If the car was shut off temporarily like 5min, it won't have to do this).
4. The face itself is smaller than our dash trim (again, mostly due to the fact that this is detachable face). So If you have the face sit flush with the trim, there will be about 1/4 inch gap around the face. This is not as bad as it sounds, technically there isn't really a gap, just beneath the gap, there is black peripheral trim that goes around. So it's not like you can see the wires through the gap.

Overall score: 9
- as much as i'm pleased with this unit, I wish they made the face somehow fit perfectly flush with the trim. I guess they gave it some room to make sure it's universal fit to most of of single dins.Â* :-PÂ* Â*And the STUPID USB..Â* I might have to switch to using Ipod..Â*