PDA

View Full Version : Which Brake Fluid for EVO X?

NRG
07-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Do you guys know which brand of brake fluid do they put in the stock EVO X? I am running low for some reason and need to top it off but kinda want to stick with whatever is already in there instead of a different brand.

KT Motoring
07-07-2009, 11:09 AM
All you need is brake fluid that conforms to DOT 3 or DOT 4 specifications. Mitsubishi does not specify any particular brand of fluid.

Mike W
07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
If you are running low in the reservoir, that means your brake pads are getting thin. As the brake pad material wears, the pistons in the calipers go out of the caliper more. More of the fluid that you had in the reservoir before is now sitting in the caliper.

When you put new pads in, the pistons get pushed back and the fluid goes back up into the reservoir. All is good again.

If you top up the reservoir, later when you put the pads in and push the caliper pistons back into the caliper, your reservoir will overflow the excess fluid all over your engine compartment.

Best is to check your brake pads and not top up the fluid.

Mike W

NRG
07-07-2009, 01:56 PM
The thing is, my pads are 80% front and 90% back...I have 15k miles on the car.....and fluid is maybe a little more than half inch below the MAX line...

Mike W
07-07-2009, 02:42 PM
If you want to believe that it isnt the pads wearing, then you have a leak and need to go find your leak. Brake fluid does not get used up or evaporate. You should never need to top it off on a modern car. Leaks are EXTREMELY rare on a new car.

Mike W

NRG
07-07-2009, 03:06 PM
So are you saying that 80%/90% will equate to drop in brake fluid and there is nothing to worry about? Or are you saying that the mechanics gave me wrong info on the % left on my pads and infact they are almost worn down thus need to change out the pads...?

KT Motoring
07-07-2009, 03:17 PM
What I think Mike is trying to say, and excuse me if I am misstating it, is that the more likely scenario is that your brake pads are wearing thin and that the lowering of brake fluid level is a common result of less pad life. Get the brake pads checked again or check them yourself to rule out low brake pads. You would rather replace brake pads than fix a leak in your brake lines.

NRG
07-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes I do know the fluid will go down if the pads are worn but I ruled that out before I even posted because the last I checked (1 week ago) the pads are 80/90. So now I am suspecting if the mechanic misinformed me on the pad life so yeah in that case I should check it out for myself. If it is indeed the pads, then it is definitely pre-mature wear....we'll see....

Mike W
07-08-2009, 01:02 AM
We dont know if your fluid was a tiny bit low to begin with and when you say it is low now, we dont know how low it is. Your "OMG low go to So Cal EVO and write about it" low might be my "Meh, what evers" low.

In the end a leak would be the only reason to top it up. If there is a leak you need to fix it yesterday. You would also probably have the first EVO X to be having a leak and it would be a warranty deal.

Topping it up with no leakage makes for a mess when you go to change your pads.

Mike W