PDA

View Full Version : Stock Evo X = +50 HP & +36 ft-lb

Looney Tuning
07-19-2009, 01:20 PM
This Apex Silver (best color) Evo X belongs to forum member fusionchicken. I have no idea what his screen name means, but it is cute. His car has only 4300 mile on it. His car is BONE STOCK right down to the paper air filter. His car has never had any of the factory re-flashes. It is still running on the original flash from Japan, i.e., 52680015. There have been three updated flashes since that one, 52680017, 0018, and 0020. That means that the car was running ULTRA rich at WOT and stuttering/hesitating throughout the rpm range. It was really pathetic. We barely had enough real estate to hit 7000 rpm on the stock tune.

I installed the ZT2 wideband (the latest Evoscan is not working with the LM-1), DLed the stock rom, added the mod23 code to the rom, and flashed it back into the ECU. There is no need to install the ZT2 external MAP sensor. Mod23 logs the boost uncapped from the ECU. This makes things so much easier than before. Two hours and 12 logs later, the car was tuned and running better than ever.

Here are the 3D data charts from the stock logs and the tuned logs. Each chart is composed of 3-4 4th gear WOT logs.

The first order of business is to set the boost on the car. With ECUboost control that usually takes the longest. Here are the before and after boost logs on this stock Evo X:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Christian/psi_b4_after.gif

The stock peak boost was 22.11 psi @ a very later 4250 rpm. This is pretty much in line with another stock Evo X that I have tuned. I do not know why Mitsu tuned it that way. I was under the impression that the point of a smaller turbo is to make it spool earlier thereby reducing turbo lag. After the late peak, boost tapered to 14.76 psi by redline. Again, this is typical of a stock Evo X.

The tuned boost was much improved. First, it was higher than stock by 2.77 psi and second, it peaked 1000 rpm earlier than stock. Now that is what you do with a small turbo. That is the whole point of the darn thing, early spool up to reduce turbo lag. Beyond peak boost, the car held 18.78 psi by redline, that is 4 psi higher than it did on the stock tune.

The stock AFR was a disaster. The sensor hit 9.6:1, bottomed out, and could not log any lower. I really want to know how rich these cars run on a wideband that does not bottom out. I am curious to know how rich will the AFR be on a stock Evo? Anyway, here are the before and after 3D charts:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Christian/afr_b4_after.gif

At peak boost (4000-4500 rpm), the wideband stopped logging below 9.6:1, then the AFR leaned slightly to 10:1 by 6000 rpm and finished at an utterly miserable 10.53:1 by redline. The tuned AFR, by contrast, dipped into the low 11:1 AFR at peak boost, held in the middle 11:1 in the mid range of the rpm, and tapered to 11:1 by redline. A nice safe AFR curve that the car likes. You could go leaner, but this is a stock car with no mods and it can get cranky on you.

The last part of the tune is the timing map. I start tuning with a base flash that has a retarded timing map. After I finish tuning the boost and the AFR, I try to advance the ignition timing. On this car I was only able to get 1* of timing advance from 3700 rpm to 6000 rpm. When I tried to advance the timing by 1* above 6000 rpm, the car registered 5 counts of knock. Basically, the car told me to go F myself (sorry, inside joke).

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Christian/tim_b4_after.gif

The tuned timing was 3* less than stock at 4000 and 5000 rpm, 7* less than stock at 6000 rpm, and 8* less than stock by redline. This is the timing that this car liked and it only triggered 1-2 random counts of knock.

Finally, the all important e-penis chart (sorry). The gains from the tune were across the power curve, but the biggest gains were from the midrange to the top end of the rpm:

Max power gain = 50 hp
Max torque gain = 36 ft-lb

Peak power gain = 44 hp
Peak torque gain = 30 ft-lb

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Christian/dyno_b4_after.gif

I was also able to calculate how much quicker than stock the car became throughout the MPH starting at 45 mph and ending at 100 mph. Here are the results:

MPH Seconds Quicker
45-100----1.6851
50-100----1.5422
60-100----1.3674
70-100----1.3152
80-100----0.8818
90-100----0.2654

The car was quicker then stock by more than 1.5 seconds from 45-50 mph to 100 mph and by more than 1 second in every mileage category tested from 45, 50, 60, 70 mph to 100 mph.

codeblue258
07-19-2009, 01:49 PM
That's awesome!! These new evos are putting down great numbers...you can do very minimal mods and get A LOT of power!! its nuts!!!

greekven
07-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Very nice Naji. Enjoy your tune. Another Looney Tuned Evo.

llvllattP
07-19-2009, 03:51 PM
haah naji...the e-penis chart

4G63 FEVER
07-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Man that thing must have been a DEAD dog before you did anything to it.

From the way it sounds it would have had a hard time beating a Prius :grin: :grin:!

Glad he got some tuning to wake it up now! O0 O0

Looney Tuning
07-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Man that thing must have been a DEAD dog before you did anything to it.

From the way it sounds it would have had a hard time beating a Prius :grin: :grin:!

Glad he got some tuning to wake it up now! O0 O0

You have to ride in one that is stock with the 015 flash to really feel how badly the car sucked. The car was literally choking on the fuel on the top end. It did not feel or drive like an Evo. It was horrible.

Had Mitsu released the Evo X with 11:1 AFR, same peak 22 psi boost but holding to 18 psi by redline, and retarded timing, then the Evo X would have sold much more than it is selling today. Mistu would have probably sold all the Evo Xs and had to import the 09 Evo to fill the demand. I know of a lot of people who had an Evo 8/9, then drove the X and could not get themselves to buy it.

Even monkeys with keyboards can come up with a better stock tune.

casperdomo
07-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Naji, hahaha!!! You did it AGAIN! :D WEHEHE!!!!!

fusionchicken
07-19-2009, 06:03 PM
thanks for the post Naji!!

Everything he said here was what he told me yesterday during the t00ning session. straight up honest, no secrets, no lies.

this is my second Evo, and my Evo IX before was road tuned by Scot Gray and Scott Barbour. had my previous RSTi tuned by HB Speed so i'm no stranger to the tuning world. Naji was very knowledgeable, informative, and patient.

the car was done being tuned yesterday at around noon time, which was already 90 degrees +. later on at around midnight when it was 75 degrees, the car felt WAY quicker as per the butt dyno. thing hauled ass. felt similar to how my old IX pulled again, though of course the turbo rush isn't as urgent due to more curb weight and a more linear powerband. 2nd gear brought a stupid ass grin to my face, and compared to before the tune, 1st gear hits redline so fast now that i have to be careful not to hit the rev limiter :D

thank you again Naji! the car is smoother than ever, and the pick-up at low RPM is MUCH improved, which makes daily driving much easier to handle.

big boss
07-21-2009, 02:11 AM
O0 Freakin Sweet Congrats on ur Tune! Man I cant Wait to see the Numbers On my BABE!

andrewRA
10-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Good job on the tune

hpd_wally
11-13-2010, 08:16 PM
I am curious how this affects EGT's, and the charge cooling effect which I assumed was needed with this engine.

Has anyone done steady state sites between 9.5 and 11afr, and reported EGT splits?

Had Mitsu released the Evo X with 11:1 AFR, same peak 22 psi boost but holding to 18 psi by redline, and retarded timing, then the Evo X would have sold much more than it is selling today. Mistu would have probably sold all the Evo Xs and had to import the 09 Evo to fill the demand. I know of a lot of people who had an Evo 8/9, then drove the X and could not get themselves to buy it.

Even monkeys with keyboards can come up with a better stock tune.