PDA

View Full Version : Evo noob needs help...

plan:b
07-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I am new to Evo's but not new to the import community. I own a high performance Honda shop in Orange and I purchased my first Evo last may. We specialize in NA builds so this turbo stuff is still new to me...HELP...

EVO X GSR - Harman Motive UICP, Harman Motive intake 4700 miles. I know the intakes lean these things out and mess w/ maps. I have launched it a few times and I drive it like I stole it sometimes.

I had it tuned when I left the dealership. Ran great. Put the Intake on (no tune). Ran great. Put on the UICP (no tune), ran fine for 2 weeks then....

Lets say I shift from 1st to 2nd, rpm is at 4000, then I mash and rmps surge to 1000 and then drop 200 rpms and its fine. At first I thought it was a slipping clutch. Then I hooked up a reader and it shows P1320. I know what it is because I searched. But I noticed other people w/ this code havent mentioned my same symptoms. It feels like clutch slip but then it grabs and is fine through out the rest of the rpm range. Shift into 3rd, same thing happens. Does it from 2nd through 5th gear. Also happens on the freeway in 5th and I change lanes to pass. Surges 1000 then its fine. Doesnt happen if im easy on the throttle. DOES happen at anything over 50% throttle. I had a buddy whos a tech drive it and we did a stall test. Stall test was fine and he said doesn't seem to be the clutch. I'm just not sure. When the rpms jump there is NOT a loss of power. The car goes with it like there is a short boost of power. Does anyone have an idea of what this may be? Could it be because I have not tuned it after the intake and uicp mods?

Thanks in advance for the help.

toku-one
07-22-2009, 07:01 PM
P1320: Ignition Timing Retard Insufficient

id assume the combination of pipes and already being tuned and leaned out over stock is causing you to run too lean and it cant pull enough timing.

id get it tuned for your set up asap

07-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense why the code was thrown, but what is causing the drivability issue? Are they related? Does running too lean cause the surge?

07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
It looks like I got it all figured out. What happened is i'm a Honda guy and didn't realize how minor mods to an Evo can destroy things haha. Now I know to be a bit more careful. Getting tuned again next week so I will post results. Thanks for the help toku-one.

Evolutionized
07-23-2009, 10:40 AM
yupp tunes will make ur car feel so much better

blade80
07-29-2009, 11:22 PM
I am new to Evo's but not new to the import community. I own a high performance Honda shop in Orange and I purchased my first Evo last may. We specialize in NA builds so this turbo stuff is still new to me...HELP...

EVO X GSR - Harman Motive UICP, Harman Motive intake 4700 miles. I know the intakes lean these things out and mess w/ maps. I have launched it a few times and I drive it like I stole it sometimes.

I had it tuned when I left the dealership. Ran great. Put the Intake on (no tune). Ran great. Put on the UICP (no tune), ran fine for 2 weeks then....

Lets say I shift from 1st to 2nd, rpm is at 4000, then I mash and rmps surge to 1000 and then drop 200 rpms and its fine. At first I thought it was a slipping clutch. Then I hooked up a reader and it shows P1320. I know what it is because I searched. But I noticed other people w/ this code havent mentioned my same symptoms. It feels like clutch slip but then it grabs and is fine through out the rest of the rpm range. Shift into 3rd, same thing happens. Does it from 2nd through 5th gear. Also happens on the freeway in 5th and I change lanes to pass. Surges 1000 then its fine. Doesnt happen if im easy on the throttle. DOES happen at anything over 50% throttle. I had a buddy whos a tech drive it and we did a stall test. Stall test was fine and he said doesn't seem to be the clutch. I'm just not sure. When the rpms jump there is NOT a loss of power. The car goes with it like there is a short boost of power. Does anyone have an idea of what this may be? Could it be because I have not tuned it after the intake and uicp mods?

Thanks in advance for the help.

same issue on my evo x, i also need tune asap

07-31-2009, 01:40 PM
^^^ Well it wasn't the mods or the tune....it was the clutch. I just changed it out and I am finishing up today. So far it's been about 12 hours over 2 days and all I have left is axles and fluids.

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr309/planbms/IMG_3959.jpg

On the wall in the shop :laugh:

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr309/planbms/IMG_3960.jpg

08-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Just letting everyone know...the clutch change went great...took me about 16 hours but I feel I can easily shave some time off that number. I took my time bagging and labeling bolts for an easier re-assembly. I would advise ANY first timer to do the same. Like I said before, I have changed many clutches on many different vehicles. This one was a challenge haha.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

imprezivevo
08-03-2009, 05:40 PM
dude, what kind of lift is that? hah i want one lol, and dayum that clutch looks beat, good work man O0

me like jello
08-03-2009, 05:54 PM
damn beat at 5k miles, sure you just launched it "a couple times"?? xP haha jk jk glad to hear you figured out the problem.

08-04-2009, 12:20 PM
damn beat at 5k miles, sure you just launched it "a couple times"?? xP haha jk jk glad to hear you figured out the problem.

Ya only a couple times....a day HAHAHA j/k. I launched it way too much though. All is good now, car drives great.

dude, what kind of lift is that? hah i want one lol, and dayum that clutch looks beat, good work man O0

I have a Bend Pak Scizzor Lift and it saves lives. I got it for doing Honda Swaps/Builds at my shop because it lifts from the middle and leaves the engine bay completely clear underneath. It's 100% portable, I can roll it anywhere easily so nothing is bolted down. Perfect for these jobs. And if you need to do an exhaust (install, NOT fabrication) you use the extended pads to create room between the lift and the underside of the car. Pretty sick for $1,200 had it for 5 years no probs.

Not my car...but here is a pic I found on google...

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr309/planbms/bendpak.jpg

1GGEvo
08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
that scissor lift looks sweet. Sorry to hear about the clutch, but you gotta pay to play. Did you go back to a stock clutch, or something "beef-ier"?

08-04-2009, 02:46 PM
that scissor lift looks sweet. Sorry to hear about the clutch, but you gotta pay to play. Did you go back to a stock clutch, or something "beef-ier"?

I got an OEM setup from my freind at another shop that removed the flywheel, pressure plate, and disc off of their Evo X to do some r&d on their own parts. They just gave it to me so I decided the practice would be good so when I get an upgraded setup, it will be easier to change.