PDA

View Full Version : Weekday Tune: +63 hp and +40 ft-lb

Looney Tuning
07-24-2009, 12:42 PM
This Evo X GSR belongs to forum member 9th 1wdr. He used to have an Evo IX that I also tuned for him. He drove his Evo IX for 30,000 miles on my tune without any problems, so he came back to tune his Evo X.

The car had the following mods:

Megan Racing down pipe
Megan Racing test pipe
Megan Racing cat-back exhaust
AEM intake
Nisei upper intercooler pipe

This car was very easy to tune. The owner showed up at my place around 9:15. By the time the last log was done it was 11:14. The actual logging and tuning lasted about an hour and a half, from 9:43 to 11:40. I was really pleased the way this car responded to the baseline flash. All I had to do was adjust the boost and the AFR slightly. I did not even touch the timing as the car already had 1-2 counts of knock here and there.

Here are the before and after 3D charts, starting with the one that most of you like, the boost chart. The stock boost peaked at 23.52 psi at 4000 rpm and then it tapered to 15.82 psi by redline. It was typical of a bolt-on Evo X. Not only was the tuned boost higher by 2.13 psi, it also peaked 500 rpm sooner.

After the first log, there was some negative WGDCC, but I was able to eliminate almost all of it by increasing the BDEL. As a general rule when the logged load is higher than the map BDEL, the ECU will bleed boost and the WGDCC becomes negative. To prevent that from happening, the tuner has to increase the BDEL tables. This is especially true when you are working with the stock pills and the WGDC is almost maxed out. You need every iota of WGDC to keep the boost on the high side from the mid range to the top of the rpm.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Rob/psi_b4_after.gif

The stock AFR was in the 10:1 ratio. It started at 10.94:1 at 3500 rpm and then slowly tapered to a sad 10.2:1 by redline. This car never hit the 9:1 ratio that others since it had all the of the flow mods necessary to lift the AFR from the doldrums. The tuned AFR, by contrast only hit the 10:1 ratio by 7500 rpm. At peak boost/torque it was in the mid 11:1 and then I tapered it below 11.5:1 by 6000 rpm and into the low 11:1 by redline.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Rob/afr_b4_after.gif

Finally, the timing, as usual, was retarded from the ridiculously advanced stock timing. While the stock timing at peak boost/torque was 9-10*, the tuned timing was 5-8*. By redline the stock timing 25* and the tuned timing was 8* lower at 17*.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Rob/tim_b4_after.gif

We also did the mandatory, WOT run 1st through 4th gears. This is very important to do because load varies by gear and rpm. It is not enough to set the boost/load target in 4th gear and not do a WOT run through the gears. For example, the first log of the run through the gears showed major negative WGDCC at various spots in the rpm range. So we pulled over, I adjusted the load and did another log. This one had minor negative WGDCC. I did not bother to change it since the peak boost was almost exactly the same in every gear. As you can see from the chart below, the boost at peak per gear was almost exactly the same.

If you are getting your car ECUboost control tuned, you MUST insist on a run through the gears on the dyno. Do not settle for 3rd gear tuning only; demand 4th gear tuning (closer 1:1 ratio) and a couple of blasts through the gears to see where the boost is per gear.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Rob/boost_gears.gif

So enough of all this technical crap; show us the e-penis chart already. The car had tremendous gains over stock. There were gains across the power curve. Also note that the tuned torque from 6000 to 7000 rpm was as high as the stock hp from 6000 to 6500 rpm. The gains were as follows:

Max power gain = +62 hp
Max torque gain = +40 ft-lb

Peak power gain = +47 hp
Peak torque gain = +33 ft-lb

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Rob/dyno_b4_after.gif

The owner of this car told me that his father’s GTR easily walks away from his Evo before it was tuned. I want him to race his father again and see what the car does now. I suspect that the GTR would still walk away from the Evo, but it would be closer this time around :grin:

9TH 1DER
07-24-2009, 01:42 PM
I can't thank you enough Naji. My car feels like a whole new animal now. Like it should have off the lot. She feels like she pulls a lot harder than my IX ever did.

Huge O0 as usual. Guys if you haven't gone to Naji yet to get a tune you are missing out big time!

Naji, I'll let you know about that stock IX exhaust by early this coming week.

Thanks again!

ApexSilverX_Guy
07-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Congrats on ur tune...
I had my X tuned a few weeks ago by Naji..
I agree, after his tune these evo Xs run way better...
Have fun.

Looney Tuning
07-25-2009, 09:51 PM
I can't thank you enough Naji. My car feels like a whole new animal now. Like it should have off the lot. She feels like she pulls a lot harder than my IX ever did.

Huge O0 as usual. Guys if you haven't gone to Naji yet to get a tune you are missing out big time!

Naji, I'll let you know about that stock IX exhaust by early this coming week.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the props. And thanks for giving me the stock exhaust. I want to keep it handy for when I want to trade in my Evo IX on an Evo X, maybe.

I am also itching to see how your car will do against the GTR. Send me a PM about it. :D

Looney Tuning
07-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Congrats on ur tune...
I had my X tuned a few weeks ago by Naji..
I agree, after his tune these evo Xs run way better...
Have fun.

Glad you like your car. This is the way these cars should have come from the factory. They would have sold like lemonade in the hot desert. It would have destroyed every car in its class.

fusionchicken
07-26-2009, 02:25 PM
awesome!!!

i'm another satisfied customer of looney tuning O0

casperdomo
07-26-2009, 06:03 PM
ANOATHER satisfy customer!!! Never ends!!!!!

silvrEVOIXn818
07-26-2009, 06:17 PM
congrats on the new found powa! Naji is a great tuner! Every customer, is a happy customer, nuff said! O0

mondizzie_evo
07-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Another great job Naji
O0

Looney Tuning
07-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Did you run the GTR yet? :D