PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Springs or Coilovers?

eVolootion
07-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey guys,

I wanted to lower my Evo X for better handling and since the stock setup has such a large tire gap. I was wondering if lowering springs from Mueller, for instance, would be pretty decent for my needs or if coilovers are the end all be all in this case? At the moment, coilovers seem pretty expensive for me, but I guess if you think that they really are better than just replacing the springs, then I will have to find a way to buy a set.

Thanks a lot

blkside
07-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Ok there are a few things you need to do...

Ask yourself what are your ultimate plans with your car and HOW LONG IS YOUR BUILD GONNA TAKE.
Then if you decide that you want good handling springs instead of coilovers I would reccommend
Eibach ProKit
Progress

If you decide that you want to get a coilover setup then you can go with the Skunk2 or the JICs which are exceptional for thier prices.

www.muellerized.com will get you where you need to be...
And if you call and Orlando answers tell him blkside is his daddy... he likes that

o-townFLA
07-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Look at the big picture.

Are of the "show or go" scene.

Coilovers will give you the look your aiming for but is it to much for you? Additionally coilovers will have to be serviced after a while, so its a never ending expense...

call some of the mentioned suspension "experts" and they should be able to point you in the right direction...

www.ROBISPEC.com

but from the sounds of it springs should suffice...

blkside
07-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I think Matt is right.. if you dont know if you should get coils than you probably dont need them. You can just grab some springs and get the better performance you are looking for with the right amount of drop. If you are in the area then I would be happy to take you for a spin on JICS...

There are lots of options so if think of what you want I am sure one of us can point you in the right direction...

Matt when you coming down to hang out... your car gonna be done soon..

jo3y
07-24-2009, 10:57 PM
i went with springs till i could afford coilovers... and well, i loove em!

eVolootion
07-26-2009, 03:47 AM
Thanks for your all your input guys. I think at this point, it may be better for me to get some springs instead of coilovers. Maybe after I start finding time to track my car, I'll consider the coilovers..but for now, its mostly street use.

eVolootion
07-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Does anyone know if RRE still sells and installs the progress springs? I looked on their web site and don't see anything for the X. Also, is the price for the Muellerized Stage 1 setup (around $700) particularly high? The springs are around $300 which is way more than the Progress and a bit more than the Eibach Prokits.

Wimploki
07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Go with Eibach Pro Kit O0

blkside
07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
What are you looking to do with the car...

eVolootion
07-26-2009, 02:06 PM
The majority of the time it will just be for street use, but i am planning on doing some track days now that I have finished up most of my hard classes at university and will have some more free time on the weekends.

Evolutionized
07-26-2009, 02:07 PM
do it right and get coils and be happy/

/thread

SIXXSPD
08-01-2009, 12:40 PM
eibach springs..you'll love em!!

evobeaner
08-01-2009, 01:09 PM
I went with swift spec r springs in my 8 mr and was kind of surprised how good they felt at the track. Granted i also had Muellers stage 1 rear swaybar with the new bushings.

captain-stl
08-05-2009, 07:05 PM
that you guys sure have different taste.. what about the Tein coilovers..

blkside
08-05-2009, 07:42 PM
See Mike at RRE.. i am trying to convince him to get a laser setup so when I get back from the desert I have a place to work for a while... :knuppel2: :smitten:

GSRSpeedDemon
08-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Corect me if I'm wrong, but aren't coilovers more comfortable than getting springs? I mean, don't they absorb bumps better and aren't as bouncy? Sorry for the dumb question, I'm a newbi.

blkside
08-27-2009, 10:54 PM
No I had the Eibach ProKit on my car and they were smoother than stock and handled exceptionally well..

People will try to push product but in most cases there isnt a real need for coilovers. There are guys that run springs and autoX and all sorts of other activities and do very well with them. Coilovers can be made to be comfortable but that defeats the handling characteristics. You can have a lexus feel with lambo performance.. just aint gonna happen..

rojoX
08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
No I had the Eibach ProKit on my car and they were smoother than stock and handled exceptionally well..

People will try to push product but in most cases there isnt a real need for coilovers. There are guys that run springs and autoX and all sorts of other activities and do very well with them. Coilovers can be made to be comfortable but that defeats the handling characteristics. You can have a lexus feel with lambo performance.. just aint gonna happen..

lol, so what youre saying is getting lowering springs wont add whp??

blkside
08-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah it does... the power at the wheels to not slip and slide around..

Here is my suggestion

If you track 3+ times a year or have SERIOUS PLANS to track competitively buy good coilovers.
If you are gonna do an occasional autoX or maybe track once a year springs are fine. Anything more than that and its a waste of time and money cause C/O's are gonna require service continually. I am lucky cause JIC has a full service shop now to include alignments and other fun shit.

GSRSpeedDemon
08-28-2009, 01:07 PM
How often do you have to service coilovers and how much does it cost to service them?

Mike W
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I have not put the Progress springs on the web site sine we have not been able to get enough to go around. I have more coming mid next week. I think some are already spoken for. If anyone wants some hit me up. They are a bit lower than the Eibachs. More towards the show/slow down for driveways and speed bumps side of things than Streets Of Willow Springs terrorizing.

Mike W

x[corwyn]
08-28-2009, 05:01 PM
I have the stage 1+ on my car Evo X GSR now. It handles better than the Stage 1 Evo VIII with the bilsteins. However for me that setup is feeling a tad...soft. LOL Im going to drive this setup for a while longer, but I will be looking at JICs I believe in a bit.

blkside
08-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah I went with the Eibachs first after doing research on EvoM and I should have kept them and saved money to buy some JRZ or Ohlins but I will be upgrading everything here soon. Cobb Sways will be going in soon...

Mike Cobb sways will be picked up here soon from Stillen for me helping them... Thats something else for you to do...

x[corwyn]
08-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah I went with the Eibachs first after doing research on EvoM and I should have kept them and saved money to buy some JRZ or Ohlins but I will be upgrading everything here soon. Cobb Sways will be going in soon...

Mike Cobb sways will be picked up here soon from Stillen for me helping them... Thats something else for you to do...
I got the sways from Mueller already... Whats wrong with the JICs?

blkside
08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Nothing but I want to look at running RTA and I think something in between JICS and Motons would be better suited but I havent decided how much money I want to invest...

x[corwyn]
08-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Nothing but I want to look at running RTA and I think something in between JICS and Motons would be better suited but I havent decided how much money I want to invest...

That was something I wanted to find for my Evo VIII as well. It seem like a huge jump to the motons.... Keep hoping to see something in between like you said. I would dig Ohlins on my car! Already got Ohlins on my motorcycle!

blkside
08-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Honestly for the price there has to be something out there that better than motons. Thats too much cash to shave 1/2 second here or there unless you are racing for cash. I think that something in between should be plenty to stay competitive but I dont think JICs would hang if I decided to step out of stock or street class...