PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP WITH INTAKE

captain-stl
07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
K&N JUST RELEASE THE NEW TYPHOON INTAKE SYSTEMS FOR THE EVO X IT ADDS 21.42 HORSE POWER TO THE WHEELS. MY QUESTION TO ALL OF YOU WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE K&N INTAKE KITS AND IS IT THE BEST OPTION OUT THERE? PS. THIS IS MY FIRST EVO AND MY FIRST CAR THAT I AM GOING TO TRY TO TUNE. ALL THE HELP IS WELCOME. THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVACE FOR YOUR HELP.

muddyIX
07-28-2009, 07:44 PM
stop yelling

captain-stl
07-28-2009, 07:46 PM
WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT

anxiouz
07-28-2009, 07:56 PM
http://thesiliconjungle.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/capslock.jpg

lmao.Â*

I wouldn't trust too many manufactueres numbers.Â* Troll the forums for intake input from people who have tried various setups.Â* For the Evo 8/9 I heard the best about AEM so that's what I went with.

captain-stl
07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
OK thank you.. sorry to all about the caps on... I am at work and is required to have them on.

1WkdEvo
07-28-2009, 08:01 PM
The AEm retains stock appearnace on the X, is CARB apporved, already as stealth plate just for extra safety from the popo, and has demonstarted the greatest gains per at least two tests onthis forum. I have no idea how the K&N compares, but on an VIII/IX it was not even close...AEM smoked it

scumdog
07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
I know its fucking funny for anyone to believe an exact number like that 21.42 hp! lol ill bet my evo says they couldnt dyno that number twice in the same year!

captain-stl
07-28-2009, 08:15 PM
hahaha. hey guys I am new to this tuning thing. and willing to learn but that is wut their dyno chart said.

anxiouz
07-28-2009, 08:19 PM
If you're stock now...throw on an intake and turbo-back exhaust....and get tuned and you'll make 30-50whp.

captain-stl
07-28-2009, 08:26 PM
thanks alot that is the plan.. but I dont want to just waste money in part that are going to be a waste.. thanks again Anxiouz

anxiouz
07-28-2009, 08:33 PM
np. I have an 8 so things are different but AEM has proven to have a solid intake for all Evos. Most 3" downpipes + test pipe + cat-back exhaust should be fine. It all depends on the sound really. RRE has nice "stealth" exhaust setups that push decent air but are still stock-ish in sound. Or you can go loud and light with some Ti setup.

I tried a few setups and currently have the RRE dp, RRE test pipe, and RRE stealth cat-back. It's WORLDS quieter at freeway speeds than when I had the RRE dp, RRE tp, and Magnaflow cat-back. So maybe just find some local X owners and take a ride in their cars. An annoying exhaust to me is the biggest pain in the ass you can deal with... I don't mind loud, I just mind annoying. And there are 3 parts there that you can tweak to your liking.

captain-stl
07-28-2009, 08:54 PM
thanks for the advice Anxiouz.. the problem is that I am one of the 4 people that own a evo X in my county.. so not a lot of people to ask around here.. do you know any tuning shops around the ventura couty area

anxiouz
07-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Seek our "C-Spec Tuning" here.Â* Just shoot him a PM...he's up crazy hours lol.Â* Â*Used to be in the Burbank area but moved a lil.Â* But I've been to 3 tuners so far and he went above and beyond what any normal person would.Â* Also, I shot you an email....we can chat there but C-Spec is your man.Â* Look at the Vendors section for him. O0

captain-stl
07-28-2009, 09:06 PM
thanks man.. gots to do my reports at work .. talk to you some other time