PDA

View Full Version : Im a bit Freaked out...

strat10
07-30-2009, 09:50 AM
So far, I have the blown engine count at 4. Some because of a Ring issue, and a few that are a mystery, and thats just the ones on EvoM and this board. Does this seem like a lot? I have also noticed that all of them have been tuned. To me it doesnt seem like its any particular tuner's fault, but it is a new engine, and maybe tuning it pushes it a bit to far? I also have a tune, and maybe I am just paranoid here, but an engine blowing up would really wreck my day.

I allways thought to my self if anything really bad happens to the car, put it back to stock and let Mitsu deal with it. Well, now I hear that there is a "counter" on the ECU, and the factory can tell when a car has been tuned in the past.

Im really a pretty mellow driver, And its rare but there are times that I just like to pound through the gears! Hell, that why I drive an Evo. I would like to have some fun days at the track also. Now, I think about the blown engines when I do and it just kind of bums me out.

I guess Im just paranoid, but when do I start worrying about this, and take the car back to stock? Has anyone else thought of this?
I know there are inherent risks to modding a car, but blowing up the engine is a bit to much for me.

2muchboost
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I think that blue AMS X is making 450+ WHP and they track the crap out of that car.
Its on a stock block with 10k+ track miles..
The motor is strong and holds power.Â* The deciding factor is what parts you use and who tunes your car...

1WkdEvo
07-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Someone is going to look at your mod list, see your tuner, and tell you to go elsewhere since 2 engines have blown after being tuned by your tuner. Â*Was it their fault, I don't know since they also have several X's that are tracked heavily and have had no reported issues.

Good luck

Skiracer
07-30-2009, 09:55 AM
If you wanna play, you gonna pay. Â*Don't expect Mitsubishi to honor the warranty when the engine has been recalibrated.... I'd personally just wait a few thousand miles on the car to make sure everything is ok before you start doing some mod'ing.

zz this
07-30-2009, 09:56 AM
damnit :tickedoff:..im in that situation right now' oh by the way this is an 8

strat10
07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Someone is going to look at your mod list, see your tuner, and tell you to go elsewhere since 2 engines have blown after being tuned by your tuner.

Your right, I have removed that. Dont want this to become a tuner question.

I'd personally just wait a few thousand miles on the car to make sure everything is ok before you start doing some mod'ing.

I did, I followed this board very closely and choose my light mods carefully.

strat10
07-30-2009, 10:02 AM
If you wanna play, you gonna pay. Don't expect Mitsubishi to honor the warranty when the engine has been recalibrated....

I totally agree with you on this but there is acceptable risk, and I may be crossing that line. It would suck however, if there is a big issue with the rings on this motor, and mitsu blames the tuners...

sxe_davexxx
07-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Whatever you do, don't do donuts in your evo.Â* :buck2:Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*
All jokes aside... You shouldn't loose sleep over it if you don't beat the shit out of your car on a daily basisÂ* O0.

TRUSTcompany9000
07-30-2009, 10:47 AM
You have to think about it from their perspective, just a little bit however. They put countless hours of engineering into this engine, and with the tune that is put onto the stock car, it is safe by their standards. They put a lot into how the car will come out of the factory, making it a very viable sports car, while at the same time, being able to hold up. When someone starts changing things on it, you're changing the exact intentions that Mtsu has for said car, which is why they will try not to honor any warranty.

Mind you, I mod my car just like any one else, as well as have it tuned. But when one does this, you have to realize there is an inherent risk with it. The more you mod, the more propensity there is for something to break or go wrong. If you modify a car enough/long enough, something will go wrong, plain and simple. It may be something miniscule, or it could be catastrophic engine failure. Either way, it's all part of the game. If you're willing to accept that risk, which I and most others on this forum and other Evo forums have, you must acknoledge and respect that risk.

With that said, of course everyone will try to minimize what goes wrong with the car (well, most, some people are flat retarded,) and attain their personal goals for their car. No one sets out to blow an engine, destroy a transmission, or whatever else it might be.

End rant.

blkside
07-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Ok I am at 400HP, 19K miles and I have the following

RRE Stealth Test Pipe Back
RRE UICP
RRE LICP
RRE Intercooler
Cossie 272 w/ springs & retainers
RRE Ecutek 91/100 Tune
MXP DP-Muellerized JIC FLT/TARS
Custom Interior
DEFI Boost Gauge
Greddy Shift Knob
NRG Wheel/Hub/QuikConnect
Rally Innovations Light Kit
Rally Innovations Harness Bar
Sparco Pro 2000 (both)

I beat the living shit out of my car on a daily basis and in no way shape or form am I worried.
This car ran literally 20 SESSIONS in 1 day at SOW with 0 problems.
Its the who and what you do that are causing these problems.

GokuSSJ4
07-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Keep it on topic ...
If you have a personal issue with someone either keep it via pm or off the forums.. If you have a review to post about a certain shop, vendor, or about blaze we do have a buyer's corner... polluting someone else's thread isn't necessary. both of the individuals know who you are...
* :roll:

HB Speed
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
So far, I have the blown engine count at 4. Some because of a Ring issue, and a few that are a mystery, and thats just the ones on EvoM and this board. Does this seem like a lot? I have also noticed that all of them have been tuned. To me it doesnt seem like its any particular tuner's fault, but it is a new engine, and maybe tuning it pushes it a bit to far? I also have a tune, and maybe I am just paranoid here, but an engine blowing up would really wreck my day.

I allways thought to my self if anything really bad happens to the car, put it back to stock and let Mitsu deal with it. Well, now I hear that there is a "counter" on the ECU, and the factory can tell when a car has been tuned in the past.

Im really a pretty mellow driver, And its rare but there are times that I just like to pound through the gears! Hell, that why I drive an Evo. I would like to have some fun days at the track also. Now, I think about the blown engines when I do and it just kind of bums me out.

I guess Im just paranoid, but when do I start worrying about this, and take the car back to stock? Has anyone else thought of this?
I know there are inherent risks to modding a car, but blowing up the engine is a bit to much for me.

Hi, Your car is minimally modded and tuned conservatively
i wouldn't worry too much. if you want me to check it out bring it in and ill go for a few logs on the road to ease your mind

strat10
07-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Again, I want to be clear here. This was not anything against the tuner of my car, they got amazing power out of my X and I couldnt be happier. It was more just a note to see how other people felt about the risks of tuning in general and the new motor that is in the X.

toku-one
07-30-2009, 02:53 PM
different tuners but one thing in common... 4b11t

seems that theres just a limit to what you can beat on with this car and we are reaching that point to where its all coming forward.

i think if you are keeping it under 360whp/wtq on 91 you are probably in the clear (as long as you dont beat on a car thats throwing codes)

blkside
07-30-2009, 09:54 PM

seems that theres just a limit to what you can beat on with this car and we are reaching that point to where its all coming forward.

i think if you are keeping it under 360whp/wtq on 91 you are probably in the clear (as long as you dont beat on a car thats throwing codes)

This is the most inaccurate statement in this thread. Obviously you are an engineer that can explain structutal tolerances. How is it that carrito.net has a X second evo 2 months after release and still running strong. There are too many variables as to why they are blowing up. How about shitty drivers,shitty tunes,no tunes, MBC, too much boost. Im not knocking your opinion but to blame it on the engine. Explain to me then how come the caliber SRT4 has a 4B11T with more power and they arent blowing up... let me know...

blkside
07-30-2009, 09:54 PM
I am way over 360 and an 8K redline.. NO ISSUES

HB Speed
07-30-2009, 10:15 PM

This is the most inaccurate statement in this thread. Obviously you are an engineer that can explain structutal tolerances. How is it that carrito.net has a X second evo 2 months after release and still running strong. There are too many variables as to why they are blowing up. How about shitty drivers,shitty tunes,no tunes, MBC, too much boost. Im not knocking your opinion but to blame it on the engine. Explain to me then how come the caliber SRT4 has a 4B11T with more power and they arent blowing up... let me know...

I just found out about two other flashed motors that failed, From 2 different shops, both had its spark plug insulator slide over the plug tip and shatter and cause engine damage. I had one with a "loose insulator" show up today, luckily with just a misfire code and no damage.

Fyi

blkside
07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Apparently you dont follow my threads or EvoM... go look for "my car blew up 29lbs untuned"... NO SHIT

toku-one
07-30-2009, 10:44 PM
well id rule out one or two to tune or driver error... i know i certainly have my own opinion on which one has gone for what reason. but i dont think its relevant to anything.

but since we can blow up any car with shitty tune, too much boost, and just being negligent i wasnt really talking about those

i cant find any info on the internals for the srt 4 vs the evo x... so i cant really say anything about it, but if they are different then we are comparing apples to oranges.

id assume the op is more nervous on the ones with ring failures (22psi) and other mysteries, which i personally have found interesting that they all seem to be x's purchased early in 08.

and yes, there are a lot of evos over 360whp doing just fine... after all we are talking about 5 out of like 5000 (although i dont really know of maybe more than 3 times that number that are over 400whp at this point either), so failure seems pretty low as is... and if one was really worried about it, they shouldnt touch their car past stock. but it seems pretty safe (since i havent seen any) that if you wanted to mod and were really worried about all these failures, staying below 360whp would be ideal. thats all i was really saying...

HB Speed
07-30-2009, 10:52 PM
well id rule out one or two to tune or driver error... i know i certainly have my own opinion on which one has gone for what reason. but i dont think its relevant to anything.

but since we can blow up any car with shitty tune, too much boost, and just being negligent i wasnt really talking about those

i cant find any info on the internals for the srt 4 vs the evo x... so i cant really say anything about it, but if they are different then we are comparing apples to oranges.

id assume the op is more nervous on the ones with ring failures (22psi) and other mysteries, which i personally have found interesting that they all seem to be x's purchased early in 08.

and yes, there are a lot of evos over 360whp doing just fine... after all we are talking about 5 out of like 5000 (although i dont really know of maybe more than 3 times that number that are over 400whp at this point either), so failure seems pretty low as is... and if one was really worried about it, they shouldnt touch their car past stock. but it seems pretty safe (since i havent seen any) that if you wanted to mod and were really worried about all these failures, staying below 360whp would be ideal. thats all i was really saying...

After driving a stock turbo again today i would stick w stock turbo, cams and meth
360=390 whp and spools like mad ( for a street car)

track car: 100 oct + meth + 26=35 psi on a red......
but unfortunately you cant do that on the road every day

i dont think 450 whp daily is a huge deal because WHO actually uses that Every day lol

blkside
07-30-2009, 10:54 PM
You know this comes back to the adage... You have to pay to play. If you want your car to last then leave it stock. Once you mod it than you are affecting its longevity and if you continue to mod it than you need to be prepared for the consequnces. I am not worried.. I use the highest quality parts and have one of the best if not the bset tuning my car. I also let my Tuner Grape Jelly know that I wanna squeeze power out but that if there is an issue I want it to be "safe" enough not to do serious damage..

So the moral of the story is kids.. if you want a fast car with a warranty.. buy a ZR1...
If you wanna mod your car to beat a ZR1... buy a spare block

blkside
07-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Ill let you know in a week there John cause I only run 100 Oct 100% of the time so I should be low 400s on a daily and once it needs a new clutch it will get a 30R and that will be daily too..

HB Speed
07-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Ill let you know in a week there John cause I only run 100 Oct 100% of the time so I should be low 400s on a daily and once it needs a new clutch it will get a 30R and that will be daily too..
Garrett 30r? *EEP*
i have a 30r in stock housings that i liked a LOT but the turbo surges so damn much its retarded (maybe because i was making 25 psi @ 3300 :-p ) Im puttin it in another car this month.

I did a Dom 2, THAT turbo is great i may get one myself

blkside
07-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Blouch is what I am looking at as well as a BBK.. if I get a 30R its gonna be a small 30R.

HB Speed
07-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Blouch is what I am looking at as well as a BBK.. if I get a 30R its gonna be a small 30R.
BBK isnt ready yet, but in reality the Dom 2 is the best of both worlds spools nice and quick and makes very good topend (get 1000 cc inj though)

toku-one
07-30-2009, 11:19 PM
BBK isnt ready yet, but in reality the Dom 2 is the best of both worlds spools nice and quick and makes very good topend (get 1000 cc inj though)

maybe this isnt the best thread for it... but who wants to buy an FP RED?
so to keep it on topic... i need to push the limits, let me get to testing the dom 2

GokuSSJ4
07-31-2009, 12:02 AM
Apparently you dont follow my threads or EvoM... go look for "my car blew up 29lbs untuned"... NO SHIT
this isn't twitter Timmey boy...LOL
perhaps if you can post a bit more info on why the X's are having such difficulties with examples and charts for those who don't twitter EvoM at all. Just FYI hehe

strat10
07-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Spark plug insulator sliding over the plug and taking out the engine? WTF!

HB Speed
07-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Spark plug insulator sliding over the plug and taking out the engine? WTF!
The porcelain that isolates the plug from the electrode

ill take a pic today

strat10
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Seems like only a big detonation would cause something like that.

blkside
07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Ill let you know how well my motor holds up.. going in for a tune now to see if I can crack 400WHP on my bitch ass DD...

strat10
07-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Keep an eye on your spark insulators :)

toku-one
07-31-2009, 05:14 PM
or a piece of a ring... the rings would heat up, expand, touch, break off a piece, throw it into the cylinder and eventually hit the plug either breaking it or closing the gap.

could be similar to that.

leaveit2bevo
07-31-2009, 06:14 PM
4b11t is teh suck

or a piece of a ring... the rings would heat up, expand, touch, break off a piece, throw it into the cylinder and eventually hit the plug either breaking it or closing the gap.

4b11 is teh suck toke pipen

toku-one
07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
meh... crank walk on the 4g63 was no treat back in the day either

Looney Tuning
07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
If your concerned about your car, then the best thing is not to tune it. Having said that Mitsu gave the car such a rich AFR, that the car is almost undriveable. I would hate to daily drive an untuned Evo X.

One option is to give the car half a tune. Back when I first bought my Evo IX I documented all the logging and the power gains step-by-step. The data is in this thread

http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflash/275002-what-difference.html

I decided to simply put a TBE on the car, back off the timing to eliminate knock, lean out the AFR into the 11:1 ratio, and add the JDM mivec map. I did not touch the boost. That produced the power gains below. That is a 34 hp gain and 17 ft-lb gain.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachments/ecuflash/108136d1182635532-what-difference-

If you are worried, then do the same thing. You will get a fun daily driver without the worry of blowing up the engine due to extra boost.

Looney Tuning
07-31-2009, 08:38 PM

I do not know about how accurate this theory is. It comes from TTP and this guy is known for making wild tales. For example, he made whole thread about how the AEM intake is causing overboost issues and got humiliated with data from Mike W. and then had to delete the thread.

Now he is at it again with conical intakes being a problem on the RA when in point of fact the problem is that he failed to adjust the latencies to prevent the trims from going negative. It seem that intakes on the RA make trims go negative which in the long term lean out the AFR to dangerous levels. He did not know anything about the impact of intakes on fuel trims and by extension on the AFR.

He has a history of posting w/o much evidence to back it up.

Have you seen this theory posted anywhere else? I am just curious to see if it has any backing besides TTP.

toku-one
07-31-2009, 10:41 PM
I think ams found the same issue and it seems that Jon has found something that might be similar. there are like 3 threads on evom if I recall

blkside
08-01-2009, 12:08 AM
I say dont mod your cars so I dont have to read all the worries of other.. either mod it and blow it up or just buy a TC...

fusionchicken
08-01-2009, 01:53 AM
just to add, check your oil daily and religiously...many subarus blew up due to unawareness of low oil...this is a really common thing that most people neglect which sometimes lead to engine failure.

and this might be stupid, but it's a question more directed toward the t00nerz,

wouldn't a tuned car in some way be safer than a factory car? we're talking proper timing degrees, drastic knock reduction, blah blah; so assuming a "proper" tune (very subjective, but i digress), the only potential problem is added stress to the engine due to the engine making more power? but if more power is made in a safer manner (post tune) versus less power made in a less optimal manner (prior to tune) wouldn't the compromise between the two not necessarily affect the longevity of the motor from when the motor was stock from the factory? where's that fine line...half tuning?Â* :buck2:

strat10
08-03-2009, 08:51 AM
I say dont mod your cars so I dont have to read all the worries of other

Not really loosing sleep over it, and sorry Im bumming you out :)

I guess the thread went where I hoped it would, discusions from members and tooners about the Evo X, and about recent engine failures. I for one feel better..

thanks So Cal evo