PDA

View Full Version : End of Month Tune: +74 hp and +57 ft-lb

Looney Tuning
07-30-2009, 11:20 PM
This Evo X GSR belongs to forum member big boss. He is a convert from the 350Z community. He had a supercharge 350Z that never ran right. So he decided to get a blown car right from the factory. I agree with that and would not do it any other way. Converting an NA car to an FI car almost always leads to problems down the road.

Big boss had the following mods done to his car:

MXP 3"downpipe
Ultimate racing 3" test pipe
Greddy ti-c exhaust
Injen intake (the best intake for the Evo X based on my testing so far)
UICP
ETS 3.5" core intercooler
HKS blow off valve (removed)

The car had a VTA BOV, but I told him to remove it since I will not tune the car with one of these. I have learned my lesson from the last time I tuned an Evo X with one. So, never again. I do not want to waste my time and energy to tune an Evo X that has a part with no performance value and that will inevitably make the car run worse. Big boos went back to the stock BOV and the car ran better than before. At one point he had SIX CEL because of the BOV.

The first order business is to check the fuel trims on the car. (Check my write-up on fuel trims in this forum). The Injen intake on this car did not drift the trims beyond +6%. That is a fantastic intake. It lowers the IATs during WOT operation more than any other that I have tested, and keeps the trims below +/-8% (Cobb’s suggestion). I really think that the Injen intake is the best for the Evo X thus far. I am very impressed with it.

After checking the trims, we did WOT runs on the stock tune. This Evo was never updated from its original flash, so the hesitation at the top end was horrible. You can feel the car really stutter. The upside is the power gains from the tune were going to be terrific.

Here are the before and after charts on this tune. Starting with the boost, this Evo had piss poor stock boost. The car could not make it above 21.24 psi at peak and then tapered to 15.64 psi by redline. Furthermore, the peak boost came very late at 4500 rpm. The tuned boost by contrast, not only peaked 1,250 rpm earlier than stock, but was also 3.1 psi higher. It also held to 18.97 psi by redline, 3.33 psi higher than stock. Whereas, the stock tune never hit the 240 load column, the final tune hit the 240 load column from 3000 to 5000 rpm. On occasion, it also hit the 260 load column.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Luis/psi_b4_after.gif

The stock AFR was nothing special either. While it did not dip into the 9:1 ratio, it fell into the high 10:1 ratio at 4000 rpm and continued to get richer until it hit 10.07:1 by redline. Just imagine how much richer the AFR would have been had the LTFT been +10% like on some other intakes that I have logged. That 10.07:1 would have ended up being 9.06:1.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Luis/afr_b4_after.gif

The tuned AFR peaked at 11.94:1, held in the mid 11:1 to 5500 rpm and then tapered to the low 11:1 high 10.9:1 by redline.

The final table is for ignition timing advance. Since this car had a larger FMIC than stock, I was able to run slightly higher timing than I usually do on Evo Xs. As usual, I begin the tune with a retarded base timing map. After I set the boost and AFR, I advance the timing 1* at a time until the car encounters knock. When knock is logged, I retard the timing by one degree and leave it there.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Luis/tim_b4_after.gif

Despite the larger IC, the timing was ~ 2* less than stock at peak boost/torque, 1-2* leas than stock in the mid-range, and 4* less than stock at the top end.

The gains from the tune on this Evo X was the highest I have ever recorded. It was stunning:

Max power gain @ 6500 rpm = +74 hp
Max torque gain @ 6500 rpm = +57 ft-lb

Peak power gain = +59 hp
Peak torque gain = +39 ft-lb

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Luis/dyno_b4_after2.gif

EvoJoe
07-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Wow, the owner must really like his X now!! Nice job Naji.

silvrEVOIXn818
07-30-2009, 11:42 PM
congrats to the op. Nice gains. Im sure hes loving the evo now... Well done Naji. O0

fusionchicken
07-31-2009, 04:17 AM
shit must pull like a raped ape now...great tune Naji O0

no O2 housing correct? I'm not sure if the 3'' downpipe is just a downpipe or you just didn't bother including the o2 part..

casperdomo
07-31-2009, 04:47 AM
GANRLY GAINS!!! Holy Moly!
Naji, you always have magics in you! [:

big boss
07-31-2009, 09:02 AM
:mitsu: O0 Hey Naji the car Feels Like Im riding my CBR1000rr Freakn Fast Im likey likey..lol Thnx for taking ur time with my car! Its Like Frankinstein its alive alive I tell ya! :twisted: Thanks Man ill make to spread the word about you...

Looney Tuning
07-31-2009, 10:18 AM
:mitsu: O0 Hey Naji the car Feels Like Im riding my CBR1000rr Freakn Fast Im likey likey..lol Thnx for taking ur time with my car! Its Like Frankinstein its alive alive I tell ya! :twisted: Thanks Man ill make to spread the word about you...

Your welcome...Just imagine if we had 93 octane gas in CA. The gains wolud have been 25-30 hp higher. The 74 hp gain would have been 100 hp gain. Tuners in states with 93 octane are extracting 100 hp gains from a tune. It suck nor to have 93 octane gas.

evo ippo
07-31-2009, 10:24 AM
you can always put some Torco in the tank than crank up the boost

Looney Tuning
07-31-2009, 10:47 AM
you can always put some Torco in the tank than crank up the boost

Don't go giving people crazy ideas :D :D

big boss
07-31-2009, 11:12 AM
:uglystupid2: lol I just ordered my life supply of TORCO :grin:

ApexSilverX_Guy
07-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Once again... Great job Naji.
You really know your stuff.
Congrats on your tune Big Boss... I'm sure the X feels like a beast...: )
I'm amazed at the HP gains, however not to brag or anything...
Of the Evo Xs I've seen tuned by Naji (with similar mods)
I gotta say my Silver Evo X sits right up there...
329 HP and 317 TQ
: )

codeblue258
07-31-2009, 09:57 PM
YEA YEA YEA!!! WOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! The X's are just kickin a$$!!!! A LOT OF POWER!! NOT a lot of mods!!!

craZZZZZZy!!!

thinkin about gettin a X for the wife( n me hehehe)

fusionchicken
08-01-2009, 01:38 AM
the throttle map is already available??

Looney Tuning
08-01-2009, 07:53 AM
the throttle map is already available??

Yes, I mentioned that in the vendor thread.

TRUSTcompany9000
08-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Excellent, hopefully this is an indication of what mine will gain!

Looney Tuning
08-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Excellent, hopefully this is an indication of what mine will gain!

I e-mailed you your power chart at 6 pm. +45 hp and+55 ft-lb :D

ap1dc5
11-28-2010, 09:39 AM
how safe is this tune?