PDA

View Full Version : High pitch whistle from car???

ospeeddemino
08-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Ok, so I'm normally pretty Knowledgable with cars, but the evo is new to me so sorry if I sound like a newb....

I have a stock Evo X gsr with about 800miles on it. I'm hearing a very high pitched whistle come from the car at idle. The sound cannot be heard standing above the engine bay, but is originating from underneath the the engine bay bear the firewall.
Now I'm kind of new to the whole turbo thing, but i've never noticed a turbo car make this high pitched whistle before. If I rev the motor, the engine noise drowns the sound out. Maybe it's a very small exhaust leak or something?

Well, my main question is, is this sound normal on the X's or not?

big boss
08-04-2009, 01:56 AM
No its Not a normal sound!!! The only time i had a high pitch sound was due to my HKS BOV... back then but when i had it bone stock i never heard that noise... :-o

imprezivevo
08-04-2009, 02:32 AM
funny thing....i too have this sound, but it is only when i drive, at idle i hear nothing but...this sound did become more apparent when my AEM intake was installed hmm i'd like so see the possibillities

big boss
08-04-2009, 02:37 AM
Well yah wen im driving u hear the Stock BOV as im letting off the gas pedal with an after market intake...But not when im just parked...

CICreations
08-04-2009, 05:26 AM
Maybe this is your problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n79jSzKA0L8

jdmcwestevo
08-04-2009, 06:39 AM
if u have an aftermarket bov than it is probably out of adjustment and leaking at idle list of mods would help

ospeeddemino
08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Hahhahaha, woowoo! Funny thing is, that's what my car sounds like at idle. When I'm on the throttle it's drowned out by engine noise. My car is completely stock. I've only had it for a few weeks

[neo]
10-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Hahhahaha, woowoo! Funny thing is, that's what my car sounds like at idle. When I'm on the throttle it's drowned out by engine noise. My car is completely stock. I've only had it for a few weeks

Take it in to the dealer-if its new they should cover it under warranty

[neo]
10-19-2009, 03:43 PM
That guys is hilarious but an idiot! WOO WOO

bbevo8
04-28-2010, 07:48 PM
did you ever find out what exactly caused your car to make this noise i am having the same problem after instal cai on my evo x?

ospeeddemino
04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
i started working at a mitsubishi dealer and I noticed all the evo X's make this noise.

its kind of like the high pitched noise you'd hear from an old Apple IIgs.. Its just the way they are, I've had many different people try to listen for the sound and most of them can't hear it.

RCA4697
05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I hear it on mine as well... is this the way they are? My 8 didn't have this.

demetry14
06-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Just an FYI, I got the fuel saver insert that spins the incoming air for the AEM intake diameter at PepBoys and the whistle sound went away.Â* Maybe it is caused by turbulence in the intake air.Â* If someone else gets that item and tries this let us know if you have the same result.Â* "HOPEFULLY ITS NOT JUST MY OWN EXPERIENCE."

Terenus
06-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Bum Rub secretly installed a whistle tip on your car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOSJ68xOBA

WOO WOOOOOOO

MaC_X
07-18-2010, 12:31 AM
i notice this high pitch whistleÂ* 2 days after i install a hks legamax catback, iÂ* change all the gasket and make sure its tight. i dont know ifÂ* this is normal but the car stay the same..

MaC_X
07-25-2010, 11:45 PM
????

MaC_X
08-01-2010, 10:20 PM
???

Nactos
10-23-2010, 05:47 PM
same here.. I originally thought it was coming from inside my dash on the passenger side... but after tracking it down.... it's coming from down below through the shifter area.... it does it in certain RPM, sounds like something reach a perfect harmonic range and start to wiggle like a loose screw.

demetry14
11-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I am going to put my car up on ramps and check out everything I can as soon as possible and i'll take pics of anything i see so you can check out if it the same problem for you.

Just an FYI, I had a #14 bolt on my underbody cover which SCM told me it was a turbo bolt. I talked to a new service guy they have there and he told me to take it down the next day, but the next day when I took it down he turned me away saying they didn't have time to check it out.

So now the sound is getting more frequent and louder so I an going to have to look all over for something obvious to me. If you find anything let me know and i will do the same.

cg08si
11-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I also have a high pitched whistle coming from underneath the car, mostly hear it at idle. If anyone finds out what it is let me know. I have no mods and the car has 600 miles on it, so i plan on taking it in ill update later this week.

MaC_X
05-01-2011, 12:51 AM
any update??

Nactos
05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
here's a strange thing... I got in a minor fender bender... damaged to the bumper. got it fixed.... whistle's gone. So I guess if you want the whistle sound to be gone, rear end another car. LOL.