PDA

View Full Version : clutch grinding noise when engaging the clutch and others

aznrevolution19
08-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi I have a 2004 lancer evolution. My clutch went out 3 months ago. It had 60k miles on it. I replaced the clutch with a exedy stage 2 cerametallic clutch 3 puck with the stock flywheels. Ever since I got the new clutch installed by the local shop it keeps on making weird noises

When I engage the clutch on first gear it still works and the car moves find but I hear grinding noises and I can feel the grinding vibration on my left foot

Also when I drive on 4th and 5th gear on the freeway and I let the gas off and just let the car roll in gear it starts to make a different grinding noise. When I press the gas the sound goes away and when I let go of the gas again I can still hear the noise.

Is this a REALLY serious problem? It happened on right after I picked up my car from the shop for about 3 months now. How much should it cost to fix it? Would the clutch shop fix it for free since its not my fault?

I've been lazy and didn't complain because the car worked fine.

Kk thanks

Mike W
08-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Sounds like normal race car noises with your race car clutch.

The Grr-grr-grr noise on decel is because you dont have springs in the discs anymore. You are hearing all the gear lash (all the slop and gap between the teeth) in all the car. The rear diff, the freeplay in the driveshaft, the transfer case and transmission.

The 1st gear part of the noise just sounds like metallic plates engaging.

Mike W

aznrevolution19
08-19-2009, 12:37 AM
oh ok thanks. i forgot that I don't have springs anymore ahaha. but yea thanks for the info. the grinding noise when i engage the clutch and on the freeway on 5th gear is KILLING me. the noise on the freeway isnt that loud tho. if i pull up the windows i cant hear anything.

is this NOTHING to worry about?

Massimo Power
08-19-2009, 12:51 AM
The Exedy Stage 2 does have springs in the disk. Its kinda hard to diagnose the noise without looking at the car. Best bet to get a accurate diagnosis would be to take it to a local evo shop. Ive heard of that decel noise before when the front bearing on the tranny is going out or when a car has a bad pilot bearing. As far as evos go they dont have pilot bearings so like i said safest bet would be to drive it down to an evo shop and have them take a good look at it.

Good Luck

Azian
08-19-2009, 12:59 AM
get a new clutch from MASSIMO POWER!!!!