PDA

View Full Version : Need help finishing front sway bar install, can't connect steering wheel shaft

triguy
08-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Got the new Hotchkis bar installed today but I have been unable to finish the mod. Instructions said to disconnect the steering shaft which I did to help lower subframe to get the old bar out and the new one in. Now that I've got pretty much everything done, I can't reconnect the steering wheel shaft to the power steering shaft.

Even though I've got the subframe bolted up tight, the steering wheel shaft and power steering shaft barely mate up with one another. It seems like the power steer shaft needs to stick up higher. (Damn it sounds like they are having sex). The car is still up jack stands. I haven't tried putting on the tires and lowering the car. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Any suggestions?

triguy
08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I was able to connect the steering shaft. I kept getting the two pieces just barely together with the steering shaft about 1/3 of inch inside the power steering shaft. I thought it was because the subframe wasn't in the correct position. I had the shaft in a 1/3 of inch and this time I used a screwdriver and hammered down on the top shaft. It slipped in all the way in. Just had to use some force.

Here's an interesting PM I got from EVO X owner who explained why I was having such a hard time extending the steering column shaft to the shaft of the power steering rack:

"Did you resolve this yet? I think I know what happened if you haven't. The part of the shaft that is connected with the steering wheel behind the dash is a 2-piece shaft. It has 2 sections sleeved into each other with an external and internal spline. When you put the subframe back up you pushed these 2 parts of the shaft together and didn't know it. With the subframe in place, you need to look up behind the dash at the shaft. There's a simple external band clamp you'll need to squeeze at the spline junction, then you can pull the lower portion of the shaft out the spline some to meet up with the steering rack at the bottom. A pair of vice grips on that clamp will make it easier."

That wasn't in the Hotchkis instructions. I called Hotchkis today and their customer service rep said if you just yank down on the steering column hard enough it will extend. I was tugging down with all my might. It took a hammer on the end of screw driver to get it into place. Wish I had known about the technique mentioned above.