PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please tell me why my RRE SS clutch line keeps breaking?

HeartBeatMotoR
09-04-2009, 09:25 AM
This is the second time this part has failed on my car and I’m not sure why it keeps happening. My car is a 2006 IX with less than 20K miles on it and the only thing that’s been upgraded is the transmission with a TTP-spec clutch, RRE light flywheel and RRE SS clutch line.

This morning, I was driving to work and while stopped at a stop light, with who else but a LBPD squad car behind me, my car started to roll forward with the clutch disengaged. What I mean is, usually with the amount of pressure I had on the clutch pedal, the car doesn’t move. So I apply more pressure to disengage the clutch in hopes that the car would stop moving but then I feel the clutch pedal start to grab by itself. And the next thing I know, my clutch pedal is stuck to the floor again. >:(

Any ideas on why this keeps happening? Thanks for your input. :-\

KT Motoring
09-04-2009, 09:30 AM
It sounds more like an issue of air in your clutch line or your clutch slave cylinder is on its way out.* Try bleeding your clutch line and check to make sure there are no leaks.

Massimo Power
09-04-2009, 09:39 AM
If this is the second time you have to change it what happened to the first one? same thing? Maybe install error?

HeartBeatMotoR
09-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah same thing happened to the first one. The clutch pedal was stuck to the floor and the line was broken.

Massimo Power
09-04-2009, 09:44 AM
where was the line broken from?

HeartBeatMotoR
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Well I didn't look at the busted part for too long before, but from what I remember, the line seemed to be separated on one end...I think the end closest to the firewall.

HMatt
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Every now and then (from what I hear) one of thier clutch lines ends up with a tiny fray on one end on the inside of the line. I guess it lets wair in the system or something and makes the pedal feel like it needs to be bled... That sounds like the case with you.

SS lines are always a little wierd like that. It happens with ANYBODY's clutch lines and brake lines. It's just the luck of the draw.

I'm sure mike will fix it for you no prob....

Massimo Power
09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
The end that is closest to the firewall is where it attaches to the master clutch cylinder. The clutch line is bent at a slight angle on this end to put less strain on the line. If you install it it should be installed with the bend going towards the passenger side. If you install it with the bend going towards the drivers side, it will add more strain to the
line causing it to break over a period of time.

Just a heads up for you to check that out.

HMatt
09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
^well... now that all depends on if RRE installed it or not...

HeartBeatMotoR
09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Okay I will check it out. Thanks Massimo. And just to be clear RRE DID NOT install this part. I bought it and had it installed by a friend who works for the LBC Garage.

Gave him this link as a guide line: http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tech_id=4

SoCalRedLine
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Usually these problems are best solved by talking with the shop, and not the intardweb.

HeartBeatMotoR
09-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Okay just snuck downstairs to the parking garage to look at the line and now it’s all coming back to me. Just like the old SS line I had on there, it looks like the clutch line has been pulled out of the connector on the side that connects to the transmission, NOT on the firewall side. And just for reference, here is a picture of what the RRE SS clutch line looks like:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/clutchlines.jpg

^ Mine looks like the one on the* right and the loop side is connected to the MC. Any more input from people who've had experience with this problem? Thank you.

HMatt
09-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Hmmm...... I would take it down there if you can. I'm sure mike would put on a new for you for free or at least VERY cheap.

x[corwyn]
09-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Hmmm...... I would take it down there if you can. I'm sure mike would put on a new for you for free or at least VERY cheap.

Dont forget fluid costs....

HMatt
09-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, yeah, I'm sure since they didn't do the initial install, you would probably have to pay for the fluid, but you kinda have to do that anyway if you change it yourself.

I do know for a fact that if you get them to install it, if you have any problems with it, they fix it for free though.

HeartBeatMotoR
09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
So should I go back to stock or just get a higher quality SS line from AMS or something?* :?

yobless
09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
So should I go back to stock or just get a higher quality SS line from AMS or something?* :?

Same happened to me awhile ago...clutch pedal sank on the 110 south in downtown L.A. The clutch line had a small hole/fray in it. RRE took care of it as soon as I called them. Give them a call.

HeartBeatMotoR
09-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Same happened to me awhile ago...clutch pedal sank on the 110 south in downtown L.A. The clutch line had a small hole/fray in it. RRE took care of it as soon as I called them. Give them a call.

How long did yours last? I replaced the first broken one on August 6th of this year...

yobless
09-04-2009, 02:50 PM

How long did yours last? I replaced the first broken one on August 6th of this year...

About a year...

Mike W
09-04-2009, 05:30 PM
]

And gas money and a back rub. What did RRE tell you they would do for you when you contacted them? I think they would give you a line no charge and send it back to the manufacturer and see if there was some defect or what is up with all this craziness. It is the same clutchline sold by just about every EVO shop in the free world.

Mike W

GokuSSJ4
09-04-2009, 10:41 PM
]

And gas money and a back rub. What did RRE tell you they would do for you when you contacted them? I think they would give you a line no charge and send it back to the manufacturer and see if there was some defect or what is up with all this craziness. It is the same clutchline sold by just about every EVO shop in the free world.

Mike W

craziness I tell you... I don't think the Mike they speak about would ever accommodate a customer.. :roll: gotta love it when people don't try dealing with who ever they purchase their product with first instead of asking for ideas in the peanut gallery... go figure

HeartBeatMotoR
09-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Honestly, I just came here to see why this keeps happening, not to bash anyone at RRE. If they'll fix it or tell me what is wrong with it, sure I'll give them a call, but I don't think there is anything wrong with asking people on a forum full of Evo drivers and people who work on Evos about my car. Why wouldn't they have any good ideas about what is happening with my car, including things to look out for or other possible problems that could end up costing me an arm and a leg? Should I only rely on one person's opinion?* :-o

Anyhow, thanks for the ideas, this thread has been helpful in helping me figure out the why and what I should do next. Thank you.* O0

HMatt
09-05-2009, 05:06 PM
^If it's anything that they sell (or really anything at all), just call Mike as soon as you notice something wrong.

jdmcwestevo
09-05-2009, 06:20 PM
its just because some people will misconstrue things to make it seem like RRE did something wrong thats how it is on this forum lol. i had issues before with stainless clutch lines too ur not the only one lol

EwaEvo
09-05-2009, 06:51 PM
I had this same problem....had a leak on the SS clutch line. Replaced it with an AMS piece and havent had a problem since. Over a year installed now. Also make sure you have pleanty of slack near the tranny section when they (RRE) or whoever is going to install it. Engine flex from hard acceletation can snap or make it leak...good luck.

leaveit2bevo
09-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Honestly, I just came here to see why this keeps happening, not to bash anyone at RRE. If they'll fix it or tell me what is wrong with it, sure I'll give them a call, but I don't think there is anything wrong with asking people on a forum full of Evo drivers and people who work on Evos about my car. Why wouldn't they have any good ideas about what is happening with my car, including things to look out for or other possible problems that could end up costing me an arm and a leg? Should I only rely on one person's opinion?* :-o

Anyhow, thanks for the ideas, this thread has been helpful in helping me figure out the why and what I should do next. Thank you.* O0

Because RRE are the experts and most of the assholes on this site (like me) just pretend to be.

x[corwyn]
09-05-2009, 10:33 PM
]

Mike W

The fluid costs associated with the happy ending involved.... ;)

biggiesacks
10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Ive had my RRE Clutch line on for 60k miles now, not a single problem. Since this is the second time its happened it may be a symptom of another problem.

HeartBeatMotoR
10-20-2009, 11:50 AM
In hindsight, I'm leaning towards the cause of my problem being that I just had extremely bad luck and got a bad batch of lines; meaning RRE’s supplier probably needs to keep a closer eye on their QC department if they haven’t already been doing so.

Then again, my issues could have been attributed to something else because the same line is used on RRE’s track car. So far though, I haven’t had any further issues using the AMS lower and upper clutch lines on my own car and will let everyone know should I have any. That way I can investigate further and hopefully save someone else the headache I’ve experienced with my DD.

And just so everyone knows, I still believe in Road Race’s years of experience and haven’t stopped purchasing their products or going to them for advice. In fact, when I went to take the second faulty line back, I picked up their very informative book “How to Build Max-Performance Mitsubishi 4G63t Engines”.* 8)

Mike W
10-20-2009, 01:10 PM
It would help the supplier keep an eye on possible quality control issues if they had the offending parts back for an inspection :-) The same guys (Technafit) make the lines for just about everyone in the US.

Mike W

darkevo
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
wow, the exact same thing happened to me last week on my IX.* Being stranded because of a $25 part is not cool.* I have only 20k miles on the stainless clutch line, car is not a daily driver, but I do drive it hard.* Getting it replaced now.* I think if it happens again, it's just not worth the hassle, (tow, downtime..)* may just go back to the stock line.

Might be a combination of incorrect install, bad quality, etc* I was just happy it wasn't a more serious issue!

This is the second time this part has failed on my car and I’m not sure why it keeps happening. My car is a 2006 IX with less than 20K miles on it and the only thing that’s been upgraded is the transmission with a TTP-spec clutch, RRE light flywheel and RRE SS clutch line.

This morning, I was driving to work and while stopped at a stop light, with who else but a LBPD squad car behind me, my car started to roll forward with the clutch disengaged. What I mean is, usually with the amount of pressure I had on the clutch pedal, the car doesn’t move. So I apply more pressure to disengage the clutch in hopes that the car would stop moving but then I feel the clutch pedal start to grab by itself. And the next thing I know, my clutch pedal is stuck to the floor again.* >:(

Any ideas on why this keeps happening? Thanks for your input.* :-\

Mike W
10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
You got it from where?

Mike W

HMatt
10-20-2009, 01:47 PM
^Well, I plan on getting one when I get off my ass and get a clutch.

As a rule of thumb from my DSM days, any part that's like ~$20 and needs to be replaced frequently or wears out, I usually buy 2 and keep a spare or pick them up in junk yards. Got all kinds of filters, hoses, clamps, coils, MAFs, gaskets, and god knows what else sitting on my shelf in my garage. It WILL SAVE YOUR ASS someday!

darkevo
10-20-2009, 04:42 PM
You got it from where?

Mike W

I believe it is a RRE one, but installed by another shop. This was like over 2 yrs ago. I'm seeing if I can get the old one back, so you guys can check it out.

thanks!

Jeffs2006EvoIX
10-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I have a Russel SS Clutch Line on my car, so far so good. I know this line is a B eeeeeaaach to change so most likely wasn't installed correctly. If you bought it from RRE then its good stuff. So my guess it was installed incorrectly. The Line is cheap Shep Trans sells them for like $26 or something. But I am sure the RRE ones are good.

evotino
10-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I got my line and clutch from RRE and they put it in, never had any problems. i have about 25k on it.

HeartBeatMotoR
10-22-2009, 04:29 PM
It would help the supplier keep an eye on possible quality control issues if they had the offending parts back for an inspection :-) The same guys (Technafit) make the lines for just about everyone in the US.

Mike W

Look in your trash buckets. Might be in there somewhere lol. Don't know what your technician did with it after I gave it to him... :2funny:

darkevo
10-23-2009, 03:38 PM
just put in the Technafit cable, let's hope this one lasts!* *;) Maybe my old one wasn't RRE, not sure, since it was supplied by the shop. If this one breaks/leaks then I will probably go back to the stock cable.

Mike W
10-24-2009, 09:25 PM
They are all made by Technafit. You have the same clutch line again.

Mike W