PDA

View Full Version : Painting EVO X Hood Scoop

eVolootion
09-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a RR Evo X and wanted to paint the hood scoop black. I was wondering if anyone knew how to do this and what type of paint I should use? Also, do i have to sand the part down or does it just have to be cleaned before I paint it?

Thanks guys

imprezivevo
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
just a few suggestions, i'm not a professional painter...but through my experience, sanding is needed and then a primer coat, another sand job, then first layer of paint, then second, and if you want it to be alittle more reflective, use clear coat as well after you finish the second coat...all in all use an actual spray gun if you want to avoid the inconsistent stream of the spray can...well that's my 2cents good luck hopefully someone has better info...and if all fails take it to a shop and get it done, shouldn't cost that much.

Blaze
09-23-2009, 03:52 PM
I'd recommend you just take it into a shop.
It'll cost you about 50 bux or so.

If you f it up with krylon, you'll regret it later....

BigDaddyLex
09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I'd recommend you just take it into a shop.
It'll cost you about 50 bux or so.

If you f it up with krylon, you'll regret it later....

+1 on that.... the hood is to expensive to replace if it comes out nasty

iamaiun
09-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I did the same thing with my car and I couldn't be happier with the result, especially since I spent less than $20.
First off, you need to wet sand the hood scoop (unscrew it from your hood obviously) until you can see the clear coat coming off. I recommend 1200 grit, since that's what i used.
Then once you've evenly sanded it, I used Duplicolor grey primer, Duplicolor flat black paint, and Duplicolor clear coat. The reason I used flat blackĀ* is because the clear coat gives your hood scoop a semi glossy look, which is just about right. If you use gloss black, it may end up being too glossy for your taste.
Spray the primer in numerous even and light coats. Many light coats are always better than one heavy coat which may run and be uneven, which is another issue.
Once you've evenly primed it, let it dry for about 15 mins and spray the black paint, remember, even light coats. Allow the same amount to dry between each coat, do about 2-3.
Once it's evenly painted, 2-3 clear coats, nice and even so that it's not rough, and allow at least 30 minutes-an hour to dry before you put it back on the hood scoop. Be careful NOT to touch the hoodscoop even though it has dried, you may leave fingerprints which will stay forever and cause you mucho pain, hahaha.
48 hours after you applied the clear coat, apply some rubbing compound to the hoodscoop to bring out the shine and give it a smooth look to it, and you're done.

imprezivevo
09-28-2009, 04:37 PM
wow i like that on the RR, but ya DIY is always the the best EXPERIENCE but just don't mess up lol

JDCZEvo
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I did the same thing with my car and I couldn't be happier with the result, especially since I spent less than $20.
First off, you need to wet sand the hood scoop (unscrew it from your hood obviously) until you can see the clear coat coming off. I recommend 1200 grit, since that's what i used.
Then once you've evenly sanded it, I used Duplicolor grey primer, Duplicolor flat black paint, and Duplicolor clear coat. The reason I used flat blackĀ* is because the clear coat gives your hood scoop a semi glossy look, which is just about right. If you use gloss black, it may end up being too glossy for your taste.
Spray the primer in numerous even and light coats. Many light coats are always better than one heavy coat which may run and be uneven, which is another issue.
Once you've evenly primed it, let it dry for about 15 mins and spray the black paint, remember, even light coats. Allow the same amount to dry between each coat, do about 2-3.
Once it's evenly painted, 2-3 clear coats, nice and even so that it's not rough, and allow at least 30 minutes-an hour to dry before you put it back on the hood scoop. Be careful NOT to touch the hoodscoop even though it has dried, you may leave fingerprints which will stay forever and cause you mucho pain, hahaha.
48 hours after you applied the clear coat, apply some rubbing compound to the hoodscoop to bring out the shine and give it a smooth look to it, and you're done.

Did something very similar, but did not add clear coat for a matte finish... ive seen a few done matte finish and ill probably revisit it soon and redo it.

Also, what i did was buy someones old hood scoop (they bought a new carbon one) for 30 bucks and did the DIY work. Cost a max of 50 bucks. I didnt really want a new CF since oem is perfect fit/function as it stands, so this was the best direction.

qazqaz
01-09-2010, 10:43 AM
You can always get some black vinyl and cover the scoop with it. If you don't like it black anymore, you can still take it off.

jsulen
01-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Steps:
1. Park the vehicle in a well-ventilated area with ample lighting. If the car has been running, allow the engine and omix hood scoop (http://www.thepartsbin.com/brands/omix/omix_hood_scoop.html) to completely cool before proceeding.

2. Apply the auto painting sealing paper around the edge of the hood scoop where the scoop connects to the hood's frame, windshield, front bumper and fenders. Use the tape to hold the paper in place so that no paint reaches the rest of the vehicle's frame and body.

3. Sand the entire surface of the hood scoop using the 90-grit sandpaper to remove any paint, scratches or other damages. Sand the scoop using the 120-grit sandpaper afterward to smooth the surface.

4. Apply a small amount of gasoline to a towel and wipe the hood scoop down. Ensure that you remove all dust and oil from the hood and allow the gasoline to evaporate.

5.Apply one coat of auto primer to the hood scoop and allow to dry for two hours. Apply a second coat and let dry. Apply three coats of auto paint, allowing one hour drying time between each coat. Allow the hood scoop to dry overnight before you remove the cover paper.