PDA

View Full Version : Can you tune with a boost pill and a boost controller?

watrous3096
09-24-2009, 09:05 PM
I was wondering if the boost pill that tuners like HB Speed and GTC use to raise boost acts as a boost controller as well. I'm planning on getting my car tuned soon and I have been thinking about buying a boost controller, but I don't know if it's worth it or not. Does anyone have any advice?

DPK MR
09-24-2009, 09:15 PM
You only use a different boost pill if you're using the stock boost control solenoid Â*& stock ecu to control boost.

watrous3096
09-24-2009, 09:32 PM
I see, thanks. Sorry I'm a complete noob when it comes to tuning. So with tbe, fmic, uicp, cos drop in, and tune would you recommend going with an aftermarket boost controller or is it pretty much a waste of money? I'm just a little paranoid of boost spikes.

DPK MR
09-24-2009, 09:43 PM
No reason to be sorry man, not everyone on here is a dick haha - just pretty much everyone. Â*If you go to a reputable tuner, using ecu based boost control will be the best way to go. Â*If your tuner is good he will tune the boost safely and you won't need to worry about the boost spiking. Â*Make sure they set the boost limit and other factory safety features (low octane maps) correctly just in case something does happen. Â*Most tuners will use these safety features but some are pretty cavalier and do not which can have serious consequences. Â*Ecu based boost control is also the most cost effective method since it doesn't require you buy any extra parts except for maybe a boost pill which usually isn't more than $20. Â*As far as whether or not you need a boost pill I'm not 100% sure but I have seen that some Evo X's have had pretty good results with the stock pill- so you should be ok without it. Â*Good luck!