PDA

View Full Version : weird chattering sound at idle

watrous3096
10-06-2009, 10:55 AM
On saturday I had a AEM UICP pipe put on my car. Later that night while I was sitting in my car at idle looking at a paper I had I noticed a weird sound, it sounded kind of like a helicopter was near by but it was coming from my car. It only lasted about 5 or 6 seconds. Then when I went to the store about an hour later it happened again when my car was at idle outside the store. There were no CELs and while driving my car runs fine as far as I can tell. It didn't happen on Sunday or yesterday, but this morning its doing it again. It happened when I was sitting in the car after just arriving at school and it happened when I turned the car on after class. I had a tbe put in and it was tuned on Thursday. I didn't hear this noise until Saturday. Does anyone know what this could be. I believe the sound is either coming from the engine or the exhaust, but so far I haven't been able to pin point it.

Reese Tuning
10-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Where are you located?

James

watrous3096
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm located in Fullerton right near Buena Park. Both the bov and strut bar are stock and I never heard this rattle before Saturday. I did notice a slight fluctuation in rpms last time it happened but it was only fluctuating about 200-300 rpm and I didn't think much of it.

watrous3096
10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I was thinking it might be the uicp rattling against the strut bar, but it looks like there is plenty of clearance and sometimes the sound seems like it's coming from down lower maybe around the turbo/downpipe/tranny area.

MRavenIX
10-06-2009, 04:04 PM
sounds like the problem a lot of VIII's & IX's have with the DP & HFC... it's prolly hitting the heat shields or something under the car. the reason it's probably only doing it sometimes & mostly after you drive is probably cuz it's when the car is all the way warmed up, so it's gonna idle a little lower.

just get under there & follow the piping to see if clearance is tight anywhere...

Blaze
10-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Is it at idle only?
Does the entire car shake, or is it just a noise from then engine bay?
Does it go away when you tap the gas slightly?

watrous3096
10-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Yup, at idle only. No the whole car doesn't shake. The noise sounds like its coming from either exhaust or engine bay and it kinda sounds like a loud door/wood creek. I haven't tried taping the gas.

Blaze
10-07-2009, 10:05 AM
It's likely your upper IC pipe rubbing against something. The metal will expand and contract as it gets heated up and it may have "adjusted itself." The easiest way to solve this is pop the hood when it starts making the noise and give a listen as to where it's coming from, yah?

If the noise is inconsistent, try starting the car and turning on the AC. This will drop the idle a bit and the noise should return. If it's not the upper IC pipe rubbing, it's probably the BOV. Look for wear marks on both.

And keep us posted.

Blaze

rl22
10-07-2009, 08:29 PM
scm can have a look at it

watrous3096
10-10-2009, 07:52 PM
haven't heard the sound since Tuesday, but today when I was driving home from work the service engine soon light turned on. I wasn't even driving wot or anything. I changed the oil and checked the fluids about 3 weeks ago so I'm good on scheduled maintenance. Does anyone know what this could be?

watrous3096
10-13-2009, 05:07 PM
The sound was coming from my exhaust after all. Sometimes my exhaust rattles/vibrates like crazy at idle and it hits the bottom of my car which makes that awful sound.