PDA

View Full Version : Positive Terminal Fuse blown - What else did i cook

bzzbee2
10-19-2009, 01:05 PM
It was early, and i was using my neighbors stealth (all black... yes black wires and aligator clippy things :idiot2:) jumper cables. I hooked up the battery backwards O0 and somehow blew the 100a side on the positive terminal. Im sure i cooked alot more as i could smell things burning. My tactrix cable was still plugged in and it too was smoking.

Aside from going through all the fuses and checking wires, should i be checking anything else?

Drifting Away
10-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Can you still pull your rom from the ECU?

KT Motoring
10-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Might want to check your starter and alternator as well.

bzzbee2
10-19-2009, 03:11 PM
starter works. jumped the car 5 min later correctly. however, i believe that the 100a fuse was to the alternator. Therefore, no charge till i replace that... i think.... dealer has the 100a fuse for the positive terminal block for 15 bucks. Seems a bit steep, but i will be picking it up today. I havent tried to pull rom yet. I will try after replacing fuse and getting it running.

bzzbee2
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Ok...Â* replaced the positive terminal block with 100a fuse.Â* Â*Car starts and stays running, and battery is charging.Â* Â*I went through all the fuses in the engine compartment fuse box and the only one that was blown was the 20a for the stock amp (ssl model). From what i can tell everything else is working, however, the CEL is on.Â* Â*I tried to plug in my tactrix cable and it immediately started to smoke.Â* Â*So i cant pull the codes.Â* Â*I want to believe that something in the cable got cooked as it smelled pretty bad and smoke was pouring from every crack in the plug.Â* Â*I think i might try to get the boys at autozone to pull my cel code...Â* Â* Â* Although i dont use the cable that often, i feel lost without it and dont want to pay 170 for on of the 2.0 models...Â* time to start searching the classifieds.

edit...

Just added a pic of the fried part of my tactrix cable... Im not sure there is much hope for this thing.

bzzbee2
10-20-2009, 11:31 AM
i got the other side off... Looks like someone hit it with a blow torch. Its toast.

Skiracer
10-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Just pull the battery terminal off for about 10 to reset the ECU and reset the code. I'd worry about the code if it pops up again after resetting the ECU.

bzzbee2
10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Yea, i did that. It popped up again. Gonna go get the code pulled tonight. I looked through the wiring and didnt see any that looked like they were melted. Hopefully its just another fuse that is causing the problem.

FreddysEvolutionIX
10-20-2009, 12:42 PM
AutoZone won't check the code for you. Theyre not allowed to diagnose a car anymore. Unless you happen to have a buddy there and they have an open OBDII

bzzbee2
10-20-2009, 12:57 PM
AutoZone won't check the code for you. Theyre not allowed to diagnose a car anymore. Unless you happen to have a buddy there and they have an open OBDII

That sucks.... are all parts stores like that? Anyone in the newport beach area that could pull a code?

bzzbee2
10-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Ok.. So car is currently in limp mode. Im worried that i might have fried something with the obdii port. Meaning that if i stick another tactricx cable in there it might cook it. Need to find a store that will plug in a reader. Rather the Reader than the cable... :)

Skiracer
10-22-2009, 02:34 PM

That sucks.... are all parts stores like that?Â* Â* Anyone in the newport beach area that could pull a code?

Ya all autoparts stores wont' lend a reader since its now "against the law" since it hurts independent repair shops.....