PDA

View Full Version : looking for replacement tires

RedSER13
11-05-2009, 12:16 PM
what's up socal.
i'm looking for tires and i'm basically concerned about road noise. are the nitto nt05 or dunlop star specs quieter than the stock advans? i'm also considering the hankook ventus v12 as they had a good review and came second to the dunlops. thanks.

Massimo Power
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Sport tires will always trend to have more road noise...

call JLB motorsports and they can help you out with what you are looking for...

1 951 734 4411

oxyi
11-05-2009, 01:10 PM
JLB is the way to go!

RedSER13
11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
oh yeah, i already have a quote from Justin at JLB. sweet prices i tell you.

funks
11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Primarily a daily driver? If so - check out the Yokohama YK520's (thread wear rating of 520).

You'd think it would be a soft floppy tire for the commuter (like the General Exclaim UHP) but the sidewalls are stiff, not loud either (I have 33K on my car now and the tires still have plenty of meat left).

Ixse
11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
^^ dam 520 rating?.. thats some hard ass rubber..
why throw away all the traction =P it's an Evo after all.. gotta do some spirited driving sooner or later..

funks
11-08-2009, 12:00 AM
^^ dam 520 rating?.. thats some hard ass rubber..Â*
why throw away all the traction =P it's an Evo after all.. gotta do some spirited driving sooner or later..

Well, it's my daily driver set (I have a different set when I go to the mountains - Dunlop Star Specs)..Â* Nevertheless, I've taken them up to GMR twice and dry grip just fine IMHO.

If I had the Star Specs on there as a daily driver, I'd be twice as poor by now :) - you'd be lucky to hit 15K on most tires out there.Â* These things have 33K and lots of meat left :) Only problem with such a long wearing tire is that you need to make sure you get some sort of tire warranty or something just in case you really blow one (nail too close to the sidewall) because replacing just one tire in an AWD is not a good idea..

RedSER13
11-08-2009, 01:25 PM
it seems like discounttiredirect.com is giving $100 off on orders above $500 due to some issue with my last order. nice!

monkeywinky
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
nt05's are pretty noisy in my opinion. I'd suggest the v12's for a good compromise between everyday performance and comfort. but 280 treadwear is still pretty low. so i dont know if that suits your needs. personally i have nt05's for track/canyon and v12's for daily are coming on in the near future

Rencii
03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
take a look at the tread pattern... most of the noise you get from tires is due to the tread design, and most of the time its due to big tread blocks. Normally the more sipes (or grooves) a tire has the less noise it'll make because tire engineers design those tread blocks to cancel each others noise vibrations... causing the end user (you the driver) to not hear any pattern noise. Of course there are exceptions to this as all tires are designed (atleast in yokohama) to be under a certain threshold for noise.

Massimo had it right... if you're looking for low road noise/pattern noise or comfort in any way from a tire, you won't find it from an Ultra High Performance Summer tire. You'd be most likely looking toward a High Performance Touring Tire of some sort or one of the expensive luxury tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport or Yokohama Advan Sport. If you want performance and comfort I'd suggest the Advan Sport if you have the money... it uses a similar profile to the older Advan Neova's and has a tread pattern that is very quiet.

anyway good luck on your decision =) hope this info was helpful.

blkside
03-26-2010, 10:49 AM
You have comprise.. go proxes4.. they can last a long time and still handle better than 99% of commuter tires..