PDA

View Full Version : How to shift with an ATC Racing Clutch

NatesEvoVIII
11-07-2009, 09:49 PM
I know this a noob question...I just got my Evo like a month ago and I learned how to drive stick on one of my dad's trucks. It was very easy because it was a regular old clutch. I get in my Evo and the clutch is very tight and there is a very small spot where the transmission engages. It's a new ATC Racing Clutch. I'm trying to keep it smooth yet fast. With a racing clutch am I supposed to shift really fast or just let off the clutch really slow over that "Sweet Spot?" I know this is an odd question but I am just curious if I am doing it right. Its seems like I have the hardest time from 1st to 2nd keeping it smooth and not jolty and bumpy.
Thanks in advance guys.

Rommy
11-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Because the evo's stock flywheel is very heavy, you have to time your shifts right, and even when driving spiritedly, you have to let the clutch out a bit slower than most other cars because it takes time for the RPMs to drop to where they're supposed to be for the next gear. Try letting the clutch out a bit slower than you would on your dad's truck. You'll get the hang of it.

NatesEvoVIII
11-09-2009, 09:33 AM
See thats what I was thinking but whats the point of shifing slower if you have a racing clutch? This is what I dont understand. :idiot2: Either I can shift slower and smoot er or fast and jolty and stuff.

Evolutionized
11-09-2009, 09:43 AM
when you try and shift fast what RPM are you taking the car to?

jdmcwestevo
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
its all timing i dont "push" the clutch when i shift i kick it if you want shoot me a pm and i can come show you what i mean i can teach you rev match and heel toe in a about an hour. let me know.

NatesEvoVIII
11-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I take it to about 4-5000 when I shift fast, but otherwise I shift slowly if it's lower than that so it's smooth. I can't be drivin fast all the time though so I just want to be able to shift fast and smooth all the time.

Vietdragontekx
11-16-2009, 02:30 AM
this will come naturally to you once you get a hang of manual car. Any manual car will be the same(maybe some small differences) once it become a natural thing. Just take your time learning your car, advise is one thing, but hand on training is another thing.

todaysivxx
11-16-2009, 02:39 AM
the evos clutch isnt that bad but you say you have a racing clutch. i had one on my s2k a while back and it can be done smoothly with no need to let your clutch out slow just have to get used to it. it also helps if you give it a little more gas when you start from first, that way you wont be jolty. im guessing your hopping like you were on hydraulics coming out of first gear? lol. try giving it a little more gas so you start off smooth. once you get your car going then you can just drive normal.

NatesEvoVIII
11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm startin to get the hang of drivin with a racing clutch. It's getting easier and I guess I just need practice. I also tried giving it more gas in first and that seems to work a lot better and a lot smoother.

watsen1
08-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Hello,
Disclaimer Some product ERZ industries LLC sell are strictly for off-road use only please check you local DMV or motor vehicle (http://www.rsaperformance.com/d2-coilovers.html) department for regulations. ERZ industries LLC and the manufautuer are not responsible for any miss use of their product.

Brand0n
08-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Hello,
Disclaimer Some product ERZ industries LLC sell are strictly for off-road use only please check you local DMV or motor vehicle (http://www.rsaperformance.com/d2-coilovers.html) department for regulations. ERZ industries LLC and the manufautuer are not responsible for any miss use of their product.

Fag

pikadosboy
08-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Hello,

Fag
Hahahhahahahahahahahaaha

NatesEvoVIII
08-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Wtf? Lol Im a pro at shifting now! Haha