PDA

View Full Version : Popping Sound

Platinum_Evo
11-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Once a while, I will hear a quite noticable Popping sound, seems like it's from Exhaust when i change gear or when slowing down after pushing real hard.Â* ONce a while, it will make a loud POP. Is this normal?

Platinum_Evo
11-08-2009, 04:35 PM
its normal, its burning off the extra fuel in your CAT.

Cool.. THANKS!

Platinum_Evo
11-08-2009, 06:52 PM
I did the cat back, intake, and ECU only.Â* Everythihg else is original.

Oh, I also experience this.

From Stop, once a while I let go the clutch too soon or too much and so the rev will go below 1000 so I step harder on the gas but it won't go and almost immediately, it got funny.Â* Gas is cut and the whole car is jerky - reving up and down.Â* I floor the gas but it go maximum 2000 rpm and won't go any higher.Â* I have to stop and shut down the engine, wait couple minute and restart and it will be fine.Â* However, the engine light will be on but after a long (overnight) stop, the engine light will be gone!

It happens on the high gear too. Lets say i am on 2nd and shift to 5th right away and then step on the gas, same thing happens.

ECU problem? I notice it does not limit at red line. I rev it all the way to 8500RPM, some times.

watrous3096
11-09-2009, 12:28 AM
yikes 8500 rpm's :-o!!! I wouldn't do that if I were you, it could cause engine damage. The popping sound is normal for many after market exhausts, mine does that too. Unless I'm misreading your post I believe the jerky feeling your talking about sounds like your just letting go of the the clutch too soon/ not given enough gas right away, but you wouldn't have to turn the car off for that and if there is a cel coming on then you should get it read ( for a cel reading you could go to auto zone, a tuner shop, or mechanic, which ever is closest. Some places do this for free. If you live around the Fullerton/Buena Park area you could pm me, I have a cel reader.) When you say "ECU only" are you referring to a tune, reflash, ap, etc.?

Massimo Power
11-09-2009, 03:12 AM
I did the cat back, intake, and ECU only.Â* Everythihg else is original.

Oh, I also experience this.

From Stop, once a while I let go the clutch too soon or too much and so the rev will go below 1000 so I step harder on the gas but it won't go and almost immediately, it got funny.Â* Gas is cut and the whole car is jerky - reving up and down.Â* I floor the gas but it go maximum 2000 rpm and won't go any higher.Â* I have to stop and shut down the engine, wait couple minute and restart and it will be fine.Â* However, the engine light will be on but after a long (overnight) stop, the engine light will be gone!

It happens on the high gear too.Â* Lets say i am on 2nd and shift to 5th right away and then step on the gas, same thing happens.

ECU problem?Â* I notice it does not limit at red line.Â* I rev it all the way to 8500RPM, some times.

You are just letting the clutch out too soon and not giving it the proper amount of gas causing the car to jerk. Rev it up to 1500 and let the clutch out SLOW... when you feel the clutch start to grab SLOWLY give it more gas and let the clutch all the way out.

When you shift from 2nd to 5th and you get those weird rpms, jerkiness, popping, etc you are hitting boost cut. Make sure you are shifting at the proper rpms and not dropping the rpms below 1800 unless in 1st or 2nd. Being below 1800 rpms and giving it gas is not good for your engine.

but when you are not in the proper gear and you floor the gas it can cause you to hit boost cut.

The popping sound is normal for many after market exhaust,

Even with a full stock exhaust it will still pop. Its just cuz our cars are tuned so rich.

If your car is properly tuned it shouldnt hit boost cut in any gear at any load...

Check and make sure you arent overboosting and if you are lower the boost.. Too high of a peak boost will cause your engine to hit fuel cut and might even go into limp mode...

If you still cant figure it out... take it to a shop who knows what they are doing.

Platinum_Evo
11-09-2009, 08:12 AM
> watrous3096 < Yeah, i know i should not do 8500RPM. It does not have any power either! On the Jerky... exactly let go the clutch to soon and too much...the car still go but very slow so when i step harder on the gas...this is the time it goes funny. Maybe like what <Massimo> mentioned, LIMP mode. It just limping and won't even go anywhere. Maximum REV only 2000RPM and It will take months to get to 2000RPM from 1000RPM. Weird.

MOB EVO X
11-14-2009, 12:37 PM
After you go WOT and you get a fuel cut and most likely a cel, and you can't rev higher then 2k. You are in limp mode. Means you passed the allowed load. Your tuner should increased your load tables and that problem will go away. I used to have the same problem but then got a Cobb ap and adjusted my tables accordingly.