PDA

View Full Version : evo x not starting

hakkoo
11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
hey guys i have a quick question. today out of nowhere my car is not starting ... takes 2-3 tries to get my car started anyone else ever had this problem on the evo x? i only have like 800 miles on my car. i want to say its the battery. did they have issues with defective batteries for the 08's?
thanks

iamaiun
11-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I have had this problem too. I don't know the cause of it exactly, but I noticed that it occured during cold weather. It's not all the time, just once in a while, and I mean a WHILE. I've had my car for almost 7500 miles and it's only happened twice. I usually try to start the car and then I guess it just ticks for a couple seconds longer than usual and it eventually starts.
I don't know if this is what you're experiencing but that's my input.
GOOD LUCK!

hakkoo
11-10-2009, 08:24 PM
I have had this problem too. I don't know the cause of it exactly, but I noticed that it occured during cold weather. It's not all the time, just once in a while, and I mean a WHILE. I've had my car for almost 7500 miles and it's only happened twice. I usually try to start the car and then I guess it just ticks for a couple seconds longer than usual and it eventually starts.
I don't know if this is what you're experiencing but that's my input.
GOOD LUCK!

thanks but mine happened during the day nice and warm weird.

mangoes
11-10-2009, 08:55 PM
the same exact thing happened to me when i first got my car too. Haven't had the prob in a long time though.

Mine has happened when it was cold and warm =\.

Here was the thread I started awhile back:

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=73918.0

I think it'll go away as you put more miles on it. If not, then take it in to South Coast to get it checked out. Some people said their cars came with Optima Red Top batteries, like the dealer already replaced em or something. I think the stock battery is Panasonic.

hakkoo
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
the same exact thing happened to me when i first got my car too. Haven't had the prob in a long time though.

Mine has happened when it was cold and warm =\.

Here was the thread I started awhile back:

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=73918.0

I think it'll go away as you put more miles on it. If not, then take it in to South Coast to get it checked out. Some people said their cars came with Optima Red Tops, like the dealer already replaced em or something. I think the stock battery is Panasonic.

thanks, im getting my 1000 mile oil change this friday at south coast so crossed fingers itll work till then

#1Noob
11-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Mine does the same thing actually. There doesn't seem to be any specific time when it happens and it still happens on occasion. But it definitely sounds like it's having a hard time pulling juice from the battery and it can't turn over. I heard the Optima thing too and maybe Mitsu just gave us crappy batteries to start with. Wouldn't surprise me, but I don't have the $$$ to go buy another battery to test this theory. It works so I'll just leave it at that for now.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
11-12-2009, 05:53 PM
do you turn the key and just hear a "click" sound? Like battery is dead? Then you keep trying and it works? If so, it sounds like it could be a program problem with your key fob. I had a friend that had an STi that had this problem. Had his key reprogramed and the problem went away. I doubt its your ignition cylinder since the car is new, or the battery. Check your relay for the battery too. Maybe something is loose in there. Good Luck on this one guys. You know its always going to work fine at the dealer. haha. Check for any TSB's on this, so when you take it to the dealer they can check through :mitsu: for any known issues.

Larrykeen
11-28-2009, 10:42 PM
hmm, had this problem tonight starting my car in the cold after 7 hours of not driving it.

fired right up after the second try. only 500 miles on the car.

hakkoo
11-29-2009, 03:25 PM
yea for me it happens once in awhile still but it starts up just fine the 2nd try or if i hold it for longer

dongchad
12-01-2009, 01:21 AM
it happened to me awhile back when my X has less than 1k miles on it. i dont know what was problem, but i never had any problems after that. give it some time, maybe your car was just teasing you.. :grin:

panda007
12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
If it's the battery, the car shouldn't crank at all or crank rather slowly.Â* The starter uses a lot of juice to crank the car.Â* So, if it takes quite a bit of cranking (which you can actually hear and note the frequency of revolutions) then it won't be the battery, that's for sure.

After reading a bit on another forum, it seems like it's widespread.Â* Try blipping the throttle a bit while cranking.Â* They say it works.Â* GL!

ev0gsr
01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
same here it happen once in a blue moon and i have to crank it twice

blkside
01-11-2010, 11:51 AM
20K + miles and numerous track days and it has fired up every single time. What are the symtoms of it when you start. Can you hear the accesories kick on.. like the fuel pump? Or the click of it supplying juice to the relays. Get a voltmeter and check your battery. Unhook the battery completely when you do this so you dont get a false reading.. if that doesnt work ... beat it.. Xs like to be beaten...

myevo88
01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
same here. it already happened twice since i got da car in dec '09. the car has 55K miles & i thought it was because the battery is old but it wasn't. i still believe it was just to cold in the morning :?

wongster
01-30-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm planning to buy an Evo X 2010. The dealer told me about this issues. Apparently in cold weather you need to let the engin warm up. Something about the gas sensor having problem in cold weather. I'm trying find more info about this. From what I see in this forum you guys just need to crank it a second time to get the car started? The dealer told me there were occurance where the car just won<t start anymore an the spark plug need to be replaced. They say STIs have the same problem.

big boss
01-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Well b4 I was TUNED It did it like twice... BUT now ITS RUNNING LIKE A CHAMP!!! O0 LUV my EVO X

evolved13
01-31-2010, 04:49 AM
Had this happen only once when I stopped to buy an owner's manual for my girlfriend's MR2 at a Toyota dealership- boy that was embarrassing! Turned "key" was dead as a doornail....tried a couple times..moved steering wheel a little, turned key back and forth, pushed in on key, then it started right up!Â* Felt like key wasn't engaged right. Anyway, this happened with 4000 miles on my car. Hasn't happened since.

wongster
01-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Anyone had this problem in cold weather? like -20C winter weather (Montreal)

dhonda
12-30-2010, 10:33 PM
2010 Evo X SE - 200 miles and just experienced this in 60F weather. It took a good 30 seconds to start.