PDA

View Full Version : Tephra MOD's on '05 MR

HMatt
11-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Ok, I have a 2005 VIII MR which usues the 96940011 rom. According to tephra, I should be able to use their v7 96530706 rom in it and that should work. It should also be noted that I have tried all the damn roms and nothing seems to work. Tephra also has stated that the v7 has been reported to have throttle-hang issues in some of the 05's.

At the moment, If I can get the v5 to work, I would be happy because it has the 02 simulator, knock flashing, and valet mode. Idealy, I want the v7 to work so that I can run meth in speed-density mode and have a built in boost cut/map switch on knock or bad AFR readings from a wideband o2.

If anybody has any info/experience with this stuff, SPEAK-UP! And yes, before anyone asks, I have followed the steps on evom and I must be doing something horribly wrong because I got nothing...

amaev05
11-25-2009, 12:37 PM
bump this. i also have a 05 but a rs and last i herd it couldent run the tephra mod? is this still true or is there a way around it ???

Charlie@MFQ
11-25-2009, 12:47 PM
So what problem do you have ? Is it the problem with the engine wouldn't turn over ?

HMatt
11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Yep... and don't say immobilizer code, cuz I copied that over. As well as used the big map converter and copied over all of my tables.

silvrEVOIXn818
11-25-2009, 02:28 PM
if your original rom was a USDM rom, and your switching over to an EDM rom, you need to have the "IMMOB. hex" in your .xml, make a note of that on your original and copy/paste that into the new tephra rom. If that doesnt work, you can completely disable the IMMOB.

Also I have noticed that I have probs when going from say 5.10, and then try to remove the .xml and add the new .xmls for the v.7. So u might need to do a fresh install of ecuflash when playing w/ different versions.

HMatt
11-25-2009, 04:15 PM
^ok... My brain is hurting and I have no idea what you are talking about...

I'M NEW... I'M NEW... I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!

I'll fuck around and see if I can come up with something...

HMatt
11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah... the original rom xml for my car doesn't have the immob in it at all...

I did find it in the tephra xml though... Does it even matter if it is inabled? I mean, why is it even there?

If it doesn't really serve some good purpose, I'm just gonna disable it. That seems to be the easiest route.

silvrEVOIXn818
11-25-2009, 04:27 PM
heres the v.7 thread. Â*Lots of info in here.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflash/451836-tephramod-v7.html

heres another thread helping ppl set it up.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflash/457743-need-help-setting-up-v7-here-your-answer.html

The 9653 ROM they have made universal to ALL VIII's, but its a bit tricky when going from a "USDM" rom to an "EDM" rom. Â*All of the info you need is in these threads. Â*

Im not sure if your rom is USDM or what, Havent looked in my notes... Â*but my guess is, if you have copied the Immob. over to the new rom, and it still doesnt start, you have a USDM, and need to add the "immob. hex" to your .xml. Â*Like I also said, you can bypass this by disabling the immob. periphery bit. but should be done as a last option...

Edit: so you pull your stock rom, and theres no map in ecuflash for you to look @? which would tell me there is no .xml for the immob. WTF? Have u been tuned before or is the ecu completely stock?
try disabling the immob. and see what happends... Just make sure you have your current rom SAVED somewhere, so if anything doesnt go as planned, you can flash the rom thats working for ya!

AlphaKennyBody
11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
I would seriously have someone walk you through you Ecu probs... PM Charilie and might be able to do something for you. YES i know your doing it on your own computer... but still have him guide you at lease instead of just copy paste... delete... OPPS.... Delete somemore

HMatt
11-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Ok... you guys were seriously tripping me out for a second. It seemed like the hex was in the .xml file somewhere and I needed to edit that... but when you open it up, you can see it has it's own table, so you just open up the rom in ecuflash and find the table and it shows up right in there.

I TOTALLY missed that table before. I'll be trying it out shortly to see what I get.

HMatt
11-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok... damn thing fired right up! lol...

When they discuss throttle hang, do they mean how the rpms seem to fall a little slower than they should? It's almost like I'm just slowly releasing the gas pedal or something.

That is minor though, I'm not getting any of the idle or cold start issues, so it's all good. And the damn CEL is finally off!!!!!!

baylorar
12-10-2009, 05:26 PM
That's indeed what is meant by throttle hang. You can fix it (do some searching on evom), supposedly, by adjusting the idle stepper tables. I have throttle hang on my tuned stock map (i.e. not tephra mod) and have just dealt with it.

I put the v7 on my car and it wouldn't idle right. Everyone kept telling me to adjust the BISS, but I really would like to know why it doesn't idle.

V7 is sick though - I really want to do the gear dependant boost... just gotta find the time.

HMatt
12-10-2009, 08:45 PM
yeah, I didn't have throttle hang, it's just it was really cold and appearently the idle is set to like 1300 rpm in v7 when it's cold, just bumped it back down, and it was all good.

silvrEVOIXn818
12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
That's indeed what is meant by throttle hang. You can fix it (do some searching on evom), supposedly, by adjusting the idle stepper tables. I have throttle hang on my tuned stock map (i.e. not tephra mod) and have just dealt with it.

I put the v7 on my car and it wouldn't idle right. Everyone kept telling me to adjust the BISS, but I really would like to know why it doesn't idle.

V7 is sick though - I really want to do the gear dependant boost... just gotta find the time.

The car doesnt idle properly cause the BISS needs to be "synced" w/ the ecu, which helps the ecu follow the maps. Â*Adjusting the BISS takes about 5 mins. (I took off the sway bar, otherwise it would take ~ 1 min.) If you adjust the BISS w/ out putting it into SAS mode, it will adjust itself back to where it was, because your not "syncing" it w/ the ecu! Â*
And the rom is sooo worth it! Â*If your into having all kinds of extra features... Â*

I needed to adjust my BISS w/ the 65mm TB that was recently installed, but dont believe it had to do w/ the rom. Â*(0715)

HMatt
12-10-2009, 09:16 PM
With the biss, you just put the car into SAS mode with evoscan or whatever... then turn the screw until you get the car to idle at the target RPM, correct?

I think I'm gonna do that too, I had to pick up the idle with my new cams, and that should make the ecu a little happier.

Charlie@MFQ
12-11-2009, 12:50 AM
adjust the biss screw take less than 30 seconds.Â* it have nothing to do with synchronizing with the ecu period. All your are doing is giving your engine more air when your butterfly is fully close.Â* All you have to do is put your evoscan on SAS mode, and turn the Biss screw until it hover around 900-950rpm.

HMatt
12-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Ok, so no matter what the idle is set at... you need to adjust the BISS to around 950?

Reese Tuning
12-11-2009, 09:36 AM
You adjust it to "YOUR" desired idle rpm. 950 is just an average rpm with a good set of cams. In your case if they are stock 800 is ideal.

James Reese

baylorar
12-11-2009, 09:42 AM

The car doesnt idle properly cause the BISS needs to be "synced" w/ the ecu, which helps the ecu follow the maps. Â*Adjusting the BISS takes about 5 mins. (I took off the sway bar, otherwise it would take ~ 1 min.) If you adjust the BISS w/ out putting it into SAS mode, it will adjust itself back to where it was, because your not "syncing" it w/ the ecu! Â*
And the rom is sooo worth it! Â*If your into having all kinds of extra features... Â*

I needed to adjust my BISS w/ the 65mm TB that was recently installed, but dont believe it had to do w/ the rom. Â*(0715)

I completely understand that adjusting the idle is not a big deal and is quick, I just don't understand why it messes up the idle on some cars and not on others. I am quite paranoid even though I've been messing with my ecu for a year or so now so when I flashed it with the v7 rom and it wouldn't hold idle and died, I got sketched out.

Reese Tuning
12-11-2009, 09:47 AM
You are doing something incorrectly. Start with the basics. Get yourself a stock ROM and go from there. If you do not need the V7 do not use it. There are multiple problems with that version that we discovered a couple weeks ago.

Remember if you are having issues go back to the basics. You can always apply your tephra rom later. Simplicity is key when your car is having issues. Let me know if I can be of help Baylorar.

James

Charlie@MFQ
12-11-2009, 01:55 PM
You are doing something incorrectly. Start with the basics. Get yourself a stock ROM and go from there. If you do not need the V7 do not use it. There are multiple problems with that version that we discovered a couple weeks ago.

Remember if you are having issues go back to the basics. You can always apply your tephra rom later. Simplicity is key when your car is having issues.

exactly, if you don't need the tephra rom you shouldn't use it. It's like a fking trend now, everybody get their dicks hard when they see a new version of tephra rom.

HMatt
12-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Well, I'm going with a meth setup, and a high-flow cat, so it takes care of the cel from the o2, and has the built-in wideband monitoring and pulls boost or will switch maps on whatever level of knock you set it for. I don't really care about the tuning thing adjustability, I just don't want to blow my car up...

even though that almost happened last night... damn injector o-rings....

clockworktoy
12-12-2009, 06:00 PM
The reason it messes with your idle is because a lot of tables might be different between the two roms that you haven't even touched IE idle stepper table. Fixing the idle is really simple, my ecu originaly had some other rom (don't remember exactly which atm) But i got it to idle rock solid with the tephra 9653. And to charlie, the reason why so many people are going crazy over the new tephra roms is because of all the badass features that they include aside from your basic tuning. Who doesn't want speed density, gear dependent boost control, etc anyway? I do however think a lot of people jump into it without knowing what the hell they're doing and then they bitch about it, those people should just pay someone to tune their dam cars.

biggiesacks
12-25-2009, 01:47 PM
There are some video tutorials floating around on Evom that are pretty decent. I would suggest anyone that doesnt know what they are doing watch those first then read read and read some more. Its the same as any software, if you dont know how to use it you wont even know what you are doing wrong. ECU tuning is not intuative at all.

SoCalRedLine
01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry charlie, adjusting the biss does "sync" it with the ecu. You generally want the ics in the 40-60step range in SaS mode while you adjust the screw. Then you switch back and forth to conirm that the idle is correct between the two modes, and that it doesn't swing wildly up/down or die while in sas mode.
I've done this many times on many different evos. It does only take about 20-30 min tho, so ur right about that.

Matt, if u need help I'm located in costa Mesa, iirc that's not too far away from you.

It looks like you got your immob. Problem figured out. You need to change the immob hex from 0040 to 0058 on the 96530006 rom. Then copy your immob code over.

05's got a screwy rom. I haven't had any throttle hang issues on the 96530006 cars I've seen.

HMatt
01-10-2010, 10:39 PM
^yeah, i'm not having any of the hanging issues... and I adjusted the biss to around 1000-1050 and set idle to around 1050, then set all the stepper tables back to stock, then bumped the idle timing a couple degrees. MUCH better now!