PDA

View Full Version : Making Aftermarket Cams Idle

HMatt
12-07-2009, 10:37 AM
I have a set of HKS 280/280's in my car at the moment, and have been having a little trouble getting them to NOT die on me at idle. I figure alot of people probably have similar problems, so I want to know if anybody has any special tips for making thier car NOT DIE on them.

Oh, and have some input BESIDES raising the idle! :2funny: I think everybody has figured that one out! :roll:

C-Spec Tuning
12-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Bump up the the timing in the idle area.Â* Also adjust your idle stepper table.Â* HKS 280s are not as aggressive as you think.Â* Buschur's, Kelfords, and TomeiÂ* they are only 272sÂ* but they are more aggressive than the HKS 280.Â* I could get them to idle very smooth.Â* If you have aftermarket injectors, you might want to check your scaling, cause your fueltrim might be off. GL

HMatt
12-07-2009, 02:47 PM
alright, advance timing a bit in idle, and the idle stepper table.... like increase the values or decrease?

I was thinking adjusting the BISS might help a little as well. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, I know the HKS 280's aren't as agressive as most people's 272's. You can kinda figure it out based on how you don't need aftermarket springs to run them, but you are STRONGLY incouraged to get aftermarket springs on the others you mentioned.

Charlie@MFQ
12-08-2009, 10:19 AM
alright, advance timing a bit in idle, and the idle stepper table.... like increase the values or decrease?

I was thinking adjusting the BISS might help a little as well. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, I know the HKS 280's aren't as agressive as most people's 272's. You can kinda figure it out based on how you don't need aftermarket springs to run them, but you are STRONGLY incouraged to get aftermarket springs on the others you mentioned.

I only recommend what my clients needs and not what they don't. anyway Couple of things factor if valvessprings needed or not, cams Lift and how high you want to rev your engine. But Valvesprings isn't the only thing that will break when you high rev.

you got pmed.

clockworktoy
12-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Before you adjust the idle stepper table (taking shots in the dark unless you know what the table actually is) change the rpm in target idle in neutral/drive and see if that helps Ive raised mine to about 850 and the idle is rock solid. Adding timing in the cels you hit at idle also helps out to smooth the idle.

HMatt
12-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Yeah.... 850 is waaayyyy too low

anxiouz
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
If it was me the easy fix is to just jack up your idle. I have super mild 264/272 HKS cams and I think my idle is just shy of 900.

HMatt
12-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah well, that didn't quite do it, 1000-1100 seems to be the sweet spot, and stepper and timing adjustments(thanks charlie!). It still kinda jumps down to sub 900 levels when i let out the clutch sometimes, or if i have the rear defroster, a/c, and my stereo on at the same time... where the car quickly almost dies... Or does die sometimes...

I'm going to adjust the BISS in the morning and take it from there. I figure since the BISS is set to around 950-ish, and that seems to be where the idle jumps to when I let off the gas sometimes no matter where I set the idle to, If I set the biss to 1050-ish, that might clear up my problem.

And when the idle goes down below 950, it really messes with the ecu, so much so that the car will fight to raise the idle and seems to get hung at like 500 until I hit the gas... friggin wierd... and then the SES light come on, and the code is "idle system malfunction" I don't remember the number off the top of my head.