PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions

evoperkonator
12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
The car feels prefect. I'm just curious!

If your rear wheels spin and your front wheels dont?

what could happen? why does it happen?

(I know its an awd and there all supposed all turn).

what should i look at to make sure everything is ok?

thanks

Mike W
12-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Hypothetically or your car is doing weird stuff? Are you talking abotu driving the car with all the wheels up in the air or spinning on asphalt or snow? More specifics please. Some history on the car too. How/why did you notice?

Mike W

evoperkonator
12-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Hypothetically or your car is doing weird stuff? Are you talking abotu driving the car with all the wheels up in the air or spinning on asphalt or snow? More specifics please. Some history on the car too. How/why did you notice?

Mike W

In the snow, friend noticed it when we were shoveling out the evo buried in the snow.
I went to pull the car out of the spot it was buried in, and my friend was standing outside my car,Â* and said only your back wheels are spinning.
Came to be that ice was packed in the wheel well so bad, it frozen to the tire and the wheel well, preventing my front wheels to rotate.
had to pick at the front wheels for half an hour finally freed them and all good. drove right out no problem!

But i drove it home from mammoth after all that happened. with no problems!

I'm going back to mammoth this Friday and its a 330 miles one way that's all,I don't wanna be sitting on the 395 waiting fora tow truck. lol
just trying to prevent delays for my skiing trip. lol
thanks

Ixse
12-15-2009, 10:22 PM
hmm thats interesting.. i thought our cars are full-time awd.. none of that crappy real-time awd junk..
i'd like to know about this also..

AlphaKennyBody
12-15-2009, 10:27 PM
interesting, i'd like to know this also

JDMboi
12-16-2009, 08:09 PM
ifyou get stuck letsus know me and alphakenny live in san berdoo

panda
12-18-2009, 12:53 AM
hmm thats interesting.. i thought our cars are full-time awd.. none of that crappy real-time awd junk..
i'd like to know about this also..

whats the difference between the two? i know awd and 4wd is different but there are different types of awd? someone enlighten me please

Massimo Power
12-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Its just the situation the car was in... If the front tires were to be stuck with ice in the wheel well, then the power would be released by the rear but the lsd will prevent them from fully burning out with just the rear wheels... Its a really complicated answer but simple truth is that it was the situation the car was put in. Thats why only the rear tires moved... Probably ever so slightly... Go out to the snow and launch the car and you'll see all four wheels spin...

If you dont have any weird noises, if you've kept up with all maintenence, if no warning lights are on.......You're car is fine...

Mike W
12-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Lots of trucks are 4WD too. But to get out of being stuck in the mud they need to lock the center differential. That makes all 4 wheels spin together. And still you would need locking front and rear differentials. It is possible that one of the front wheels was spinning, but your buddy didnt see it. The front diff on the 9 is a Helical LSD, but with no traction at all on either wheel it wont lock up.

The center diff is limited by a bunch of clutch plates sealed in a housing filled with a silicone goo that expands with heat. First you need to make heat, then it grips more. Up to a point. The rear diff is a clutch type, it has the most initial grip but still isnt a locker.

The wheels that had traction would have gripped well and not done much. The wheels with no traction would be merrily spinning until what ever mechanisim could do something about it, or maybe not. There may have been only one front and one rear wheel spinning but on opposite sides of the car.

Bottom line, nothing is wrong with your car.

Mike W

rickyart23
01-07-2010, 01:38 PM
cant that cause serious damage to your T-case tho? I know your not suppose to tow an awd or more specific an evo unless its on a flat bed right? Last I heard Evos arent full all wheel drive their (and correct me if im wrong here) INVERTED AWD?

Mike W
01-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Will doing what cause damage to the transfer case?

Spinning one set of wheels? No. The transfer case would be doing its normal thing at that point.

Spinning wild and then suddenly stopping from traction could damage any gear.

Spinning one single or pair of wheels is bad for the differential that is getting half spun. Differentials cant properly deal with prolonged half traction.

Mike W

evoperkonator
01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Well another question. I was in mammoth ova the weekend and park my car next to the condo thursday thru sunday, I started my evo up at 1030 am let it warm up to operating temp! Started to drive home from mammoth and noticed that all my acd lights were on! So i got gas in bishop shell station. when i was pulling up to the pump I heard from my car load clunks and pings scared me, so i filled up on gas check everthing thatz i could reach with my hand making sure nothing was loose on the evo so i started the car when i found nothing at the time . When i started the evo the acd lights were normal and i still heard alittle bit of clunks and pings drove back to home and never had a problem or heard the noise again! The only thing that i could think of is that the acd fluid was so cold the acd couldnt work propley!

Anyone ever had this problem before or heard clunks and pings?

Mike W
01-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Your clunks and pings were most likely debris getting thrown up at the bottom of the car. Lots of extra gravel on the road when it is snowy.

ACD lights seem to mostly come on and go off for nothing from my experience.

Mike W

evoperkonator
01-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks mike w
for all your input,info and help! maybe ill have you look at my car just to be on the safe side!

I dont think it was rocks and debris Hitting the car it only made the noise when i let off the gas at low speeds! And got on the gas on low speedsÂ* when i was driving normal!

thanks again for your help
Justin

biggiesacks
01-15-2010, 10:02 AM
For the question on 4wd vs AWD. A 4wd vehicle does not have a center diff. The front and rear axles are locked together and must spin at the same rate. This is why 4wd cars must be in 2wd mode for normal driving. In 4wd mode they can usually only go tops about 35-40mph. This is because of small differences in the size of the tires not wanted to spin at the exact same speed. An AWD car has a center diff that will allow slippage between the front and the back thus allowing full time operation. Hope that helps.