PDA

View Full Version : shaft that goes through the trans and transfercase

reggieting
12-25-2009, 02:21 PM
So I was taking my trans off to do my clutch and i left my buddies at the shop to watch my car while i got some trans and transfer case fluid . The were messing with it because of that clip that holds the throwout bearing on to the pressure http://plate.....

They took the shaft that goes through the trans and connects to the transfer case.Â* I dont know which side is which and they forgot!!!! :( there is a thicker side and a thinner side .
please help ill take pics of it when i go back to the shop.

Im thinking that the bigger part goes in the trans side and the thinner side goes through the trasnfercase..
please someone verify...
Thanks..

borrowed this pic from the TheMadScientist thread......
Its the shaft at the top....my photoshop or paint isnt working...
[img]http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/14437/DSCN0428.JPG

Evokid
12-25-2009, 02:30 PM
well there should only be one side that has the threads where you threaded the slide hammer on

reggieting
12-25-2009, 02:31 PM
both side has splines
one side had a shiny upstep.
thanks
updated my first post its that shaft at the very top.

Evokid
12-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I could be wrong, but it looks like the right side would go back into the trans

reggieting
12-25-2009, 02:34 PM
So the part that has the shiny upstep is the trans side? thats what i was thinking but i didnt get to try and put it in because it was getting too late .
thanks.

Evokid
12-25-2009, 02:35 PM
both side has splines
one side had a shiny upstep.
thanks
updated my first post its that shaft at the very top.

I'm not speaking of the splines

only one side has a hole in the middle with threads on it where you would thread in a metrick bolt with a slide hammer. the opposite end would go back into the transmission first

reggieting
12-25-2009, 02:38 PM
hmmmmm...thanks ill have to take a look at it again. i wish i never left to get the fluids.

Evokid
12-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Yea that suck man. Just look at both side's and you'll see the one side has a hole in the middle with threads in it

reggieting
12-25-2009, 02:44 PM
It should only fit one way hopefully im going to go to mitsubishi and try to get a diagram. thanks for your help bro, merry christmas.

Evokid
12-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Merry Christmas to you too

reggieting
12-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Would anybody happen to know if that clip/spring that holds the TOB to the pressure plate is sold seperate or is part of a pressure plate?

Evokid
12-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I have one sitting on my tool box but you probably live far

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r270/2006evolution9/Picture014-1.jpg

reggieting
12-25-2009, 03:16 PM
That thing is a pain in the ass to take off..and i still haven't taken it off. I think mine is jammed because only 1/4 of it moves when i try twist the flat head to take it off, Sunday Im just going to take the whole pressure plate off .

Im in moreno valley.

Evokid
12-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Have you already removed the transmission?

reggieting
12-25-2009, 03:51 PM
No, it got a little to late and Ive been busy at work. trans is still in the car and the only thing stopping it from comming out is that clip! Once i take that off, RRE i go.

thoughts on the RRE 3200 no name clutch and flywheel?

From what ive read it very nice. Hopefully they will be open this weekend and they have both instock!!!!

reggieting
12-25-2009, 03:54 PM
This isnt my first clutch job, but its the first time I encountered a TOB that clips onto the pressureplate.

Im a honda tech, and before that an audi tech. None which are as complicated as that stupid clip. haha.

thanks man.

My buddy told me that the supra clutch is the same exact and the only way to replace the clutch is to fish out the pressure plate bolts.

Vietdragontekx
12-26-2009, 01:22 AM
maybe this will help, http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tech_id=27&osCsid=44f8f7a8d9e2184ec0c4653b2c3315f1

at the last pix u can see a part of the output shaft installed and look like the left part of the outshaft(without shinny side) is push in first and the shiny part of the shaft is outside.

reggieting
12-26-2009, 01:25 AM
dude thanks. Ive never came across that step by step

Jonny right? I bought your boost controller couple months ago at frys. Hahaha

Vietdragontekx
12-26-2009, 02:04 AM
dude thanks. Ive never came across that step by step

Jonny right? I bought your boost controller couple months ago at frys. Hahaha

haha yep, i remember u =D.

TheMadScientist
12-26-2009, 08:23 PM
yeah that clip was a bitch. I actually ended up breaking the throw out bearing when I finnally got it out. I had to use a lug wrench with a pry bar on one side and grinded it down a bit and when I twisted it to get it out it broke the bearing only way I could get it loose though was a major Pain in the ass. Took me almost 6 hours over two days on just that thing. :tickedoff:

reggieting
12-26-2009, 08:34 PM
I used a 30in snap on pry bar. And the thing still won't break haha. I'm in the process of towing my car 90 miles to my house so I can get the pressure plate bolts off. :(

JOOTZ
12-26-2009, 08:57 PM
its a bitch to do the clutch on the evo. one thing i learned from trying to help a buddy- take it to shop.

Evokid
12-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I've done a crap load of clutches and I think they are pretty easy to do now. I've got it down pretty good and takes me about 2 minutes to release the bearing. The first one was a biotch to do. You have to have the perfect flate head screw driver to do it. I bought a Matco Tools set that has a perfect #2 flate head

reggieting
12-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I have the matco scredriver set. Its just that clip is jammed in there and won't release like it should. Thanks for all your help. Very much appreciated.

Evokid
12-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Are you doing what Evo moto say to do with the screw driver? After you put it in place and hold the fork to the right twist the screw driver and wiggle it while letti g go of the fork quickly. Sometimes ill spray a lot of brake clean up there just to try and break some of that dust off.

I'm not sure how easy its gonna be at this point after using a pry bar. Your best bet now is to remove the 6 pressure plate bolts with a 1/4" ratchet

reggieting
12-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah exactly like evo moto. For like a good portion of the night. Had my 2 of my buddies read and do what they comprehended.

But like I said. When we wedge the flat head and turn while we let go, only a portion of the clip gets pressed up.

I've turned the crank and some areas of the clip don't want to move and then move all of a sudden. Its pretty lame and frustrated the shit out of me so I'm just going to fish out those flywheel bolts.

Ill keep you updated. Mostlikely monday because I'm trying to figure out my towing situation.

reggieting
12-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Update

Towed the car home finially. Next morning jack the car up.

First try within 15 seconds got the clip to pop off!!!!!!!!!! Maybe the bumpy 90 mile tow aligned it or something hahhahahahaha.

My act 2900 is fkd. The rivets on the hub popped off. And the springs came off.

Went to RRE picked up the act 3200 with a solid hub. Mike is trying to get act to hook me up with something because of how the hub rivets came apart. My cars only has a tbe blow off valve and a mbc @17 lbs untuned. So it shouldnt have came apart but shit happens.

Vietdragontekx
12-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Update

Towed the car home finially. Next morning jack the car up.

First try within 15 seconds got the clip to pop off!!!!!!!!!! Maybe the bumpy 90 mile tow aligned it or something hahhahahahaha.

My act 2900 is fkd. The rivets on the hub popped off. And the springs came off.

Went to RRE picked up the act 3200 with a solid hub. Mike is trying to get act to hook me up with something because of how the hub rivets came apart. My cars only has a tbe blow off valve and a mbc @17 lbs untuned. So it shouldnt have came apart but shit happens.

nice, i hope my ACt dont end up like that

Evokid
12-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Good to hear man O0

reggieting
01-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Update. Got the car towed monday to my house monday, Took me 2 days because of work(by the time i get home its around 7:30..70 mile drive.)

Got the car running drove it to and from work today put 200 easy miles on it.
I like the pedal feel, a little stiffer than my 2900, and the catching point is a little sooner.

Only dislike is gear noise because of the solid hub. Only does it in 4th(any rpm below 3500) and 5th(any rpm below 3500). Its starting to annoy me but i guess ill get use to it. Just gotta lightly let go of the gas and for the most part it doesn't do it OR just turn your radio upÂ* ;)

As of right now, Im satisfied with it. Buying the solid hub I was aware of the more noticeable gear noise and brushed it off saying "ill get use to it". Hope nothing breaks!

THANKS TO RRE.
They hooked my up with the clutch, called the shop the following day around 8:25pm....Robert picked up answered my torque and grease question and i was back on track!!!

Finished my car 230am. Cold as fuck and raining, now im sick, But my evo runs :grin:

pikadosboy
01-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Update. Got the car towed monday to my house monday, Took me 2 days because of work(by the time i get home its around 7:30..70 mile drive.)

Got the car running drove it to and from work today put 200 easy miles on it.
I like the pedal feel, a little stiffer than my 2900, and the catching point is a little sooner.

Only dislike is gear noise because of the solid hub. Only does it in 4th(any rpm below 3500) and 5th(any rpm below 3500). Its starting to annoy me but i guess ill get use to it. Just gotta lightly let go of the gas and for the most part it doesn't do it OR just turn your radio up ;)

As of right now, Im satisfied with it. Buying the solid hub I was aware of the more noticeable gear noise and brushed it off saying "ill get use to it". Hope nothing breaks!

THANKS TO RRE.
They hooked my up with the clutch, called the shop the following day around 8:25pm....Robert picked up answered my torque and grease question and i was back on track!!!

Finished my car 230am. Cold as fuck and raining, now im sick, But my evo runs :grin:
dam! well your car is running on a new year!

reggieting
01-01-2010, 01:39 AM
^^ That was my goal, I had 2 days after it was towed to get it running...but work, weather and no sufficient light kept interfering. Plus I am superstitious. broken car on new years = broken car for the rest of the year. Haha.