PDA

View Full Version : How do enable lean spool in a 2008 model?

jrsimon27
01-03-2010, 10:25 AM
first of i have 2008 mr it only has and hks drop in air filter as for now iam gonna be using the stock oem tune cause i dont have and afr gauge nor boos gauge and i dont plan to mod any further.
i read that the 2010 models have enabled lean spool and that this is why they are faster stock vs stock, the only difference i see when comparing the maps is the the lean spool table one has a 0 this the 2008models and the 2010models have a 1.
so what do i do just change the value to 1 and i will be set?
would it be ok to do this in conjuction with the drpo in air filter?
thanks a lot.

blkside
01-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Ok Im no genius but if you have to ask ... you shouldnt be doing it unsupervised. I havent seen anything that will give a great advantage from an 08 to a 10 by just changing one cell. I would worry about doing a bolt on or 2 versus playing tuner with something as sensitive as an ECU. That one cell you think you may be changing may also change cells you dont see ant then we get this...

"My car blew up, I dont know what happen, all I have is a drop in"

Good luck either way

jrsimon27
01-03-2010, 11:28 AM
ok but someone in here must know how to enable and if its ok to do it?

blkside
01-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Ok I dont know you from Adam.. here is the problem with asking a serious ECU question online.. You cant verify who these people are. I could tell you I invented the Ecu while trying to make a flying toaster and who are you to say I didnt. Your best bet is to either have a physical shop or a verified tuner help you out. Cause after damn near 4 years on here and many other boards.. there are some professional........liars on the internet..

Spend a penny save a dime..

1WkdEvo
01-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Agreed

Azian
01-03-2010, 12:27 PM
+2 Agreed

SoCalRedLine
01-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Ok. So I'll answer your question. If you are runnin a unmodified tune, you can have lean spool enabled. It's usually that way from the factory. feel free to turn it on by the method you described. If you need more answers, pm me and I'll help u further :)

blkside
01-03-2010, 12:59 PM
SocalRedline = Qualified Tuner... strange but definitely a great guy...

SoCalRedLine
01-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Hheh. Thanks Tim :)...if only I could get a job tuning, then ppl might believe I can tune :)

blkside
01-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah well I will let you play with my miata if I ever get back to the states to enjoy her... I need to find a suitable ECU for it.. I may have you build a MegaSquirt PNP .. that will keep you busy...

SoCalRedLine
01-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Eh. You kno I'm down. I've tuned a 35r powered protogay before :). Miatas make the best track toys, and I'd be happy to help...if you let me drive the piss out of it :D

Looney Tuning
01-03-2010, 08:58 PM
first of i have 2008 mr it only has and hks drop in air filter as for now iam gonna be using the stock oem tune cause i dont have and afr gauge nor boos gauge and i dont plan to mod any further.
i read that the 2010 models have enabled lean spool and that this is why they are faster stock vs stock, the only difference i see when comparing the maps is the the lean spool table one has a 0 this the 2008models and the 2010models have a 1.
thanks a lot.

First, I will only do it on a stock tune. Second, only do it if you have a drop-in as you said. Here is how to do it:

1. Open your rom in ECUflash
2. Scroll down to ECU options section of the rom
3. click on ECU options #3
4. Last line in table says "bit 0: lean spool off/on
5. the number next to the last line is set to 1
6. use the minus button on the keyboard and set it to 0
7. Save the rom and flash the rom into the car

This will make your car run leaner by about 0.5-0.75 afr points. Log the AFR, knock, timing, ect...to make sure that all is well.

jrsimon27
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM
thanks a lot.

First, I will only do it on a stock tune. Second, only do it if you have a drop-in as you said. Here is how to do it:

This will make your car run leaner by about 0.5-0.75 afr points. Log the AFR, knock, timing, ect...to make sure that all is well.

thanks for the info i will do this and have a DLL run to see if whp increases also i will log to see if it has knock,

have you tried this with a 2008 model?

Residue
01-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I would recommend getting a wideband before even considering making changes to the fuel parameters in the ecu. If you make these changes without a way to log and verify that everything is okey-doke...you are setting yourself up for some heart-ache and an expensive repair bill

Looney Tuning
01-03-2010, 11:48 PM
thanks a lot.

thanks for the info i will do this and have a DLL run to see if whp increases also i will log to see if it has knock,

have you tried this with a 2008 model?

No I have not. On all 2008 Evo Xs I keep lean spool Disabled.

booster310
01-15-2010, 10:20 PM
To the OP, youre willing to risk your car for a little bit of HP or spool that the 2010 X has, come on, be real, it doesnt make a difference unless youre trying to race your neighbor's stock 2010 X.