PDA

View Full Version : New Year 2010 Evo tune: +47 hp +38 ft-lb

Looney Tuning
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
This 2010 Evo X belongs to forum member Antox18. I believe that this is the first Evo X to be tuned in SoCal. The second one was done by Charlie on the same day but later that evening. The car had the following mods:

UR UICP/LICP.
UR intercooler
AEM intake
TBE
TP

Intakes on an Evo X tend to skew the fuel trims positive. The AEM intake can skew the fuel trims up to the maximum ECU allowed 12.5%. Meaning the ECU will add 12.5% more fuel because it sees a lean condition. This is done during idle and cruising. The bad part is that the cruising trim is added to WOT AFR operation.

So let us say that you went to a shop and the shop installed an exhaust and an intake on your car. Then they put the car on a dyno and tuned it. They did not drive the car long enough for the cruise trims to get to their maximum limit. For the sake of argument the trims were at +4% and the AFR was set at 11:1.

You drive the car for a while and then you log the AFR again and you notice that your AFR is richer at 10.1:1. What the hell happened? Well dear reader, your trims have drifted positive into +12%. So the ECU added 8% fuel (12-4=8) since you last got the car tuned. Now the car is running 8% richer.

What MUST be done to avoid this is to drive the car for 20-30 minutes to see where the cruise fuel trim settles. Then you need to adjust the latency table in the rom and flash the ECU. Then drive the car another 20-30 minutes and make sure that the cruise fuel trim has settled at +/-5 to +/-7%. Then and ONLY then, should the tuner even consider to tune the AFR. If the AFR is tuned and the fuel trims are inconsistent, then the AFR will be inconsistent as well.

On the 2008 Evo Xs we now have the ability to STOP the cruise fuel trim from impcting WOT operation. This is the result of Tephra’s hard work. I have started implementing this on the 2008 Evo Xs that I tuned. I am not certain if the changes to the 2008 Evo X rom will also work to the 2010 rom. So I am still using the old strategy on the 2010 Evo X.

The main point here is to take your time when tuning an Evo X with an intake. First make sure that the trims are consistent and then tune the AFR.

On antox’s car, I spent the better part of 40 minutes getting the fuel trims nice and steady. We took a nice Sunday morning cruise down the 405 @ 60 mph and then returned to the logging site to do the tune. I wonder if there are dyno tuners out there that will drive the car on the dyno for the better part of 40 minutes to get the fuel trims nice and steady before the AFR is tuned.

This is the 2nd 2010 Evo X that I have tuned and once again it proved to run leaner stock than a 2008 Evo X that I have tuned with similar mods. The roms are exactly the same with the exception of lean spool being enabled on the 2010 Evo and disabled on the 2008 Evo. Take a look at the following overlay:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Jeovany/overlay_08_10.gif

Both car have similar mods and are on the stock tune. The solid lines and bracket-less tags are for the 2010 Evo. The dotted lines and bracketed tags are for the 2008 Evo. Even though the 2010 stock Evo is running higher boost (solid red line), its AFR (solid pink line) is consistently leaner than the 2008 Evo’s AFR (dotted turquoise line). You would expect that the higher boost would make the car run richer AFR, but that is not the case when lean spool is enabled. One downside of lean spool is that it does make AFR variable under certain rpm/boost/weather conditions.

Another characteristic of the stock 2010 Evo X is their tendency to knock when modded w/o a tune. Mitsu being Mitsu, enabled lean spool (made the car leaner), but kept the same advanced timingÂ* :tickedoff: So now you have advanced timing AND a leaner AFRÂ* :tickedoff:Â*

So when you mod the car (TBE, Intake, MBC), the car inevitably knocks like crazy. By comparison the 2008 X does not knock much when you add power mods to it. Take a look at this overlay between this 2010 Evo and another 2008 Evo:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Jeovany/knock_08_10.gif

The solid lines are for the 2010 Evo and the dotted lines are for the 2008 Evo. The 2008 Evo did not have more than 2 counts of knock. Focus on the knock counts (pink solid line) and the timing (blue solid line). Notice how the timing gets pulled as the knock counts increase on the modded 2010 Evo with the stock tune. By contrast, the modded 2008 Evo with the stock tune has no more than 2 counts of knock across the rpm range.

The lesson here is the following: If you have a 2010 Evo X AND you mod it, then you MUST get it tuned. The car will knock for sure even if you only have minimal mods. The 2010 Evo in the chart only had an AEM and a TP as serious power adders.

Now that we did some baseline logs and fixed the fuel trims. I finally got to tune the car. We started the first log at 10:10 AM and finished the last log at 12:55 PM. Here is an overlay of the stock tune and the final tune:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Jeovany/tune_stock_overlay.gif

The boost at peak was pretty much the same between the dotted (stock tune) red line and the solid (final tune) redline. The tuned boost, however, is higher than the stock boost from 4000 rpm onwards. By 6000 rpm, for example, the tuned boost was 4.88 psi higher than the stock tune; by 7000 rpm redline the tuned boost was 3.73 psi higher than stock.

The AFR was also leaned out more than the stock AFR. Between 4000 and 6000 rpm the AFR was made 0.65 points leaner than stock. From there to redline the AFR was leaner by an average of 0.90 points. To compensate for the higher boost and the leaner mixture, as well as to combat knock, I had to drop the timing advance to 15* by redline. That is the most timing that the car ran while keeping the knock demon at bay.

The final run of the day that we made was the mandatory WOT to redline from 1st gear to 4th gear. This is very important to do when tuning boost from the ECU. This will give you boost consistency per gear.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Jeovany/boost_gear.gif

In every gear tested the boost peaked at 24-25 psi and tapered to 18-19 psi by redline. I rarely see boost plots like these done on the dyno. I can only surmise that they are not done. Ofcourse, I can always be proven wrong ;)

Finally, here is the e-penis chart. As always I do a baseline (unless the customer does not want one). W/O a baseline a fancy dyno chart tells you nothing about the gains that the car made. It just gives you a number. This car made good gains over stock, but not as high as the 2008 Evo X since the baseline on the 2008 Evo X is much lower.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/Jeovany/dyno_b4_after2.gif

Since the peak boost was slightly higher than stock, the peak torque gains we 29 ft-lbs. The top end gains were much more significant. The car had the following top end gains:

Max power gain: +47 hp
Max torque gain: +38 ft-lb

The customer was pleased and so was I. He now wants to do an E85 tune at a later date. I can’t wait :D

jrsimon27
01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
will a 2008 model make this same whp with the same mods?

also what fuel oct was this car using?

big boss
01-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Im Glad to HEAR GEO Went with You Naji.. Geo and I talked not to long ago about you tuning my car and how happy I have been! GEO CONGRATS ON YOUR TUNE BRO! O0 nice gains WELCOME TO THE LOONEY FAM!!! :D

antox18
01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
thnx big dogg im happy ass hell and btw this is on 91 oct. i wish you could have tuned my 9 naji and fixed the problem with the overscaled inj. but thats a whole other story O0

big boss
01-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey no worries MAN :coolsmiley: told NAJI knows his stuff

antox18
01-04-2010, 06:54 PM
cant wait to put my kws

Looney Tuning
01-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Hello my friend. I am nj1266 on Evom. You and I go a long way back to the Xede times :)

Yes, a 2008 will make similar power once tuned. The only advantage that the 2010 Evos have is when thry are stock since they run leaner.

The tune was done on crappy 91 octane. Had it been 93 octane the car would have gained 20-25 hp more than it did. Here in CA we only have 91 octane. It is the worst 91 octane that you can get.

Looney Tuning
01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
thnx big dogg im happy ass hell and btw this is on 91 oct. i wish you could have tuned my 9 naji and fixed the problem with the overscaled inj. but thats a whole other story O0

I would have loved to tune your 9. Scaling injectors involves a similar method to adjusting the trims. You and I would have had to take a cruise down the 405 similar to the cruise we took when we set-up the trims on your X becuase of the intake. Most tuners do not take the time to scale injectors properly. All they worry about are the numbers on a dyno. Daily driveability is far more important to me than a number oin a sheet of paper.

Glad your enjoying your car.

jrsimon27
01-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Hello my friend. I am nj1266 on Evom. You and I go a long way back to the Xede times :)

Yes, a 2008 will make similar power once tuned. The only advantage that the 2010 Evos have is when thry are stock since they run leaner.

The tune was done on crappy 91 octane. Had it been 93 octane the car would have gained 20-25 hp more than it did. Here in CA we only have 91 octane. It is the worst 91 octane that you can get.

holy molly man iam glad i found you.
you are a great guy and a helpfull person iam glad you keep tuning evos nj
yep it was long while ago you helped me with the xede i had in my evo 8

thanks nj O0

popdakebin
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Great writeup. Where are you guys located?

antox18
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
hes located in long beach

RedSER13
01-06-2010, 02:08 PM
for the mandatory final WOT, how fast were you guys going up to the 4th gear redline?

antox18
01-06-2010, 02:17 PM
didnt pay attention to that maybe naji did. i was too busy shifting and looking at my rpm

sxe_davexxx
01-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Congrats on the tune...

antox18
01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
thnx

RedSER13
01-07-2010, 10:21 AM
didnt pay attention to that maybe naji did. i was too busy shifting and looking at my rpm

i'm thinking in the reckless driving territory! lol nice tune btw. i'm hoping to get one soon.

Looney Tuning
01-07-2010, 10:34 AM

i'm thinking in the reckless driving territory! lol nice tune btw. i'm hoping to get one soon.

No it is not. It is about 100 mph. If your concerned, get a dyno tune, but then ask yourself this question: Do you drive on the dyno? ;)

I have tuned over 130 cars using the same method. Not one problem, not one issue. Never been harassed, no tickets, no nothing. If it happens, you will hear about it for sure. All the haters will be posting about how dangerous road tuning is and not to tune that way. These are the same haters that not too long go sang the praises of road tuning over dyno tuning. But now that shops have dynos, they all of a sudden, have become concerned citizens. If there is a medal for hypocracy, then certain members of this board will have tons of them.

antox18
01-07-2010, 11:03 AM
ive had my car tuned by other tunners and i can assure u that naji was the best when it came to safety. there is a stretch of highway where u get on the on ramp and about 1/4 of a mile in theres an offramp. we nver tuned or whent wot unless there was no cars there. its probably as dangerous as any other member going wot in the freeway with no traffic. O0

antox18
01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
btw no wot tuning was done on regular surface streets and if u r worried about safety maybe u can preach that if u have never gone over 100mph

hardcoreracing
01-07-2010, 11:17 AM
I have tuned over 130 cars using the same method. Not one problem, not one issue. Never been harassed, no tickets, no nothing. If it happens, you will hear about it for sure. All the haters will be posting about how dangerous road tuning is and not to tune that way. These are the same haters that not too long go sang the praises of road tuning over dyno tuning. But now that shops have dynos, they all of a sudden, have become concerned citizens. If there is a medal for hypocracy, then certain members of this board will have tons of them.

Amen to that brother.Â* I'm old enough to remember a day when dui and street racing weren't considered the biggest crimes in america.Â* I blame it on the media and the fact that people believe everything they see on the evening news.Â* About a month ago, I heard a news story on tv.Â* The newscaster was reporting about a car accident and said its possible street racing was involved.Â* Well, don't you think they should verify that before reporting it on the news?Â* Well, I guess that's why it's called sensationalism, they tell people what they want to hear.Â* They use the words "street racing" and people pay attention right away like there's a sale on underwear at JC Penny.

RedSER13
01-07-2010, 11:35 AM

No it is not. It is about 100 mph. If your concerned, get a dyno tune, but then ask yourself this question: Do you drive on the dyno? ;)

nice man. i don't have a problem with road tunes. i'm here on the board, getting as much info as i can before i get one. i like reading your threads btw, they are very detailed.

bluaeon
01-09-2010, 12:45 PM
i know this is off topic but can you PM me for how much the tune is? :) thanks

RedSER13
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
click on his name and you'll see his rates.

popdakebin
02-04-2010, 03:28 PM
The more I read about Naji, the more I wonder why he doesn't work for some major car manufacturer, esp the thread of that Evo X that had the never had any ECU updates.

Looney Tuning
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM
The more I read about Naji, the more I wonder why he doesn't work for some major car manufacturer, esp the thread of that Evo X that had the never had any ECU updates.

Which Evo X are you talking about?...Thread please.

big boss
02-05-2010, 12:52 PM
It might had been mine!!! :D

Looney Tuning
02-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Considering how much power your car gained (74 hp, 58 ft-lb), I would say that your car had the worst baseline tune. The car was hesitating like a virgin on her first date at the top end on the stock tune :)

big boss
02-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Considering how much power your car gained (74 hp, 58 ft-lb), I would say that your car had the worst baseline tune. The car was hesitating like a virgin on her first date at the top end on the stock tune :)
HAHAHA! it was those Saki drunken FOOLS at the Mitsu Plant! ;)

andrewRA
04-29-2010, 06:46 PM
good info

Pstl_Pete
05-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Its great to see that there are still some tuners out there using the road as a means of dialing a car in. Props to your sir.