PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case leaking from the rear

biggiesacks
01-07-2010, 02:03 AM
So i was working on my exhaust and i look at the transfer case and see a nice little collection of Shockproof right at the rear. I didnt get a chance to get a better look but im asuming this is coming from my rear seal as thats the only place i saw any fluid. Ill be getting a better look tomorrow. Has anyone else had to replace this seal?

biggiesacks
01-07-2010, 10:08 PM
i guess this isnt a common problem

BlackFQ
01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
If you need one I have one and its in perfect condition

biggiesacks
01-08-2010, 09:34 AM
If you need one I have one and its in perfect condition

I just picked up a new one from SCM yesterday, but thanks for the offer! Ill be installing it this weekend. If it goes smooth enough i may throw together a "How to" article.

balambda08
01-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Dude I think I have the same problem cuz I replaced one of the seals coming from the passenger side axle but it turned out not to be the leak I think its the same seal ur changing...bump for the "how to" lol

biggiesacks
01-09-2010, 12:23 PM
I forgot i was gonna need some more shockproof for my transfer case after i drain it...ill be hunting around the valley for this stuff today. Hopefully i can find it, my usual source (PAW) has stopped carrying it. If anyone knows where i can buy this stuff somwhere around the SF valley please let me know.

biggiesacks
01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Today i replaced the seal. It was easy,

1. Jack up the Car and place all 4 corners on jackstands
2. Drain the transfer case
3. remove 4 12mm bolts and nuts from the part of the driveshaft that connects to the back half of the car.
4. Carefully slide the input shaft out of the back of the transfer case and place it somewhere safe.
5. Remove the old seal ( i used a plastic panel poper)
6. lubricate the seal with gear oil and install it. ( I just used my fingers to install it and flush it out but a large socket or even the correct install tool would work)
7. re-insert input shaft into transfer case
8. rebolt the driveshaft together
9. refill transfer case
10. drop the car

biggiesacks
01-12-2010, 11:45 AM
update: No leaks so far

CardShark
04-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Sorry to bump such a old thread but this sounds like what's going on with my car. Can you take a look at this picture and give me your thoughts?