PDA

View Full Version : How-To: In-Cabin air Filter/Purifier for a 2003 EVO

jamesinger
01-09-2010, 05:54 PM
I did not take any pictures because this process was so basic but if anyone needs some pictures, I can easily take some.

The entire install took me 5 minutes.

There is a lot of talk about these filters on here but I couldn't find the basic How-To, so I am writing this one.

I used a test filter from an IX RS but you can get the Filter at your local :mitsu: dealer or on the web.
This is the filter/purifier part on lancershop:

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=157&cat=15&page=1

All you need is a phillips head screw driver, 2 small screws from your :mitsu: dealer or from Home Depot (if you want your filter to be bolted in), an X-acto knife and the filter of your choice.Â* There is a simple air filter that is cheaper and needs to be changed every 15k and there is an air filter/purifier for more money that only needs to be changed every 60k and allegedly has a purifying effect on the smell inside your car.

1.Â* Take everything out of your glove box.

2.Â* With your your glove box open, on the left is a tab that you can pop out just by wriggling it a bit.Â* When the tab pops out, gently pull the glove box to the left and the tab on the other side will clear letting the glove box drop fully open.

3.Â* In front of you will be a black box looking thing that has a very obvious inner seam on it.Â* You can match up the air filter with the seam if you are unsure.Â* This will give you a clear idea of how the filter will slide into the black box.Â* When you match up the filter with the black box, you will also notice how the bolt holes on the filter matches the bolt holes on the upper left and the lower right of the black box thingy.

4.Â* Take the X-acto knife and carefully cut along the inner seam.Â* The plastic should cut easily with a new blade but be gentle because you don't want to slip up and cut outside of the seam.

5.Â* When you have cut all 4 corners, pull out the plastic and simply slide in the filter so it matches up with the holes.

For a couple days I did not bolt this in because I did not have the bolts.Â* It did rattle a slight bit but I could only tell when I was paying attention to it with the glove box open.Â* I would assume that not bolting it in would decrease the effectiveness of the filter but you can get away with it until you have the proper bolts or some that work.Â* When I got the proper bolts from :mitsu:, they went right in.

Basically, our cars came with everything you need to have an in-cabin filter but someone atÂ* :mitsu: decided to leave these out of the 2003 models.Â* All other models come with the regular in-cabin filter that is supposed to be changed every 15k.Â* I think those are about $30.Â* The $70 one is a better filter/purifier and is supposed to last 60k.Â* Regardless, living in LA, I thought this was an important addition to my 2003.

MRavenIX
01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the how to... I've needed to change my filter badly since the Rabbit Run last year, but just haven't gotten around to finding out how to go about it O0

Evolutionized
01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the how to... I've needed to change my filter badly since the Rabbit Run last year, but just haven't gotten around to finding out how to go about it O0

its ok i still havent changed my from rabbit run 2 years ago haha

MRavenIX
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
LOL... well I guess the one I'm talking about was in '08!!! hahahaha...

Every time I turn on my air is smells like stale dust... VERY uncool when trying to impress a lady & then you shoot a dustball onto her face!!! ;)

jamesinger
01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
LOL... well I guess the one I'm talking about was in '08!!! hahahaha...

Every time I turn on my air is smells like stale dust... VERY uncool when trying to impress a lady & then you shoot a dustball onto her face!!! ;)

Just changing the filter is SUPER easy. It is the same steps without the cutting. You can get the part at any dealer close to you and have your car smelling good in no time. There is a big difference in my car, especially in LA traffic. It really cuts the diesel smell and it will filter out your farts unless they are the kind where you need to change your seats but that is for the 'how to clean your seats after a blow out' thread.

MRavenIX
01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
LOL... after a blow out, huh?!? I think I'd throw someone out even if we were on the fwy if they sharted on my damn Recaro! Yeah, it's just one of those things that's "out of sight, out of mind", but pisses me off every time I turn on my A/C. Never took the time to look it up! I'd rather swap out turbos & fun stuff... lol

jamesinger
01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
LOL... after a blow out, huh?!? I think I'd throw someone out even if we were on the fwy if they sharted on my damn Recaro! Yeah, it's just one of those things that's "out of sight, out of mind", but pisses me off every time I turn on my A/C. Never took the time to look it up! I'd rather swap out turbos & fun stuff... lol

If I were you, today, I would take that thing out and at least bang it on the ground or blow some compressed air into it. You could also use a car vacuum to get some of the dirt out. I think even that would make a difference but getting a new one should decrease the stank of your car.

MRavenIX
01-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I'll give it a "blow out" and then a mexican shower (spray cologne on it)... then it should be perfect!!! O0 LOL

jamesinger
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I'll give it a "blow out" and then a mexican shower (spray cologne on it)... then it should be perfect!!! O0 LOL

I have a friend who sprayed some cologne on his in in-cabin filter on a BMW and now it smells like if a guy came home after working on a construction site all day in the rain and instead of taking a shower, he just sprayed on some Fahrenheit cologne over the mud caked on him. Basically, it smells like if they added some musty ass dirt scent into his cologne. My GF said, "ug, nasty dude smell" when she got in his car.