PDA

View Full Version : Shortshifter question...

booster310
02-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Well im thinking of buying a short shifter, but i have heard that it messes up you ratios and ultimately your transmission, anyone have any input on this? as to if its true or am i good to do it, thanks guys O0

Rencii
02-02-2010, 04:34 PM
hmm... i havent heard about this, so i'm curious too! i just purchased a Cobb Shortshifter last night from another member, and if this is really the case i might not install it.

I wouldn't think it would affect ratios... whats the reasoning behind that? i could see it affecting synchros due to harsher shifting maybe? then again i'm just talking out of my ass cuz i'm not familiar with how exactly the shifter engages and am no ways a professional with transmissions....

blkside
02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Ok depending on the shifter in question whether adjustable or not only makes a slight difference. It doesnt change the ratio unless you change the gears. The reason its called a short THROW is because really all you change is the length of the shifter to lessen the throw

jrecluse
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
it's impossible to change the gear ration by installing a ss

install a ss and get ready for greatness

booster310
02-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Cool thanks guys, will install one in about a month, thanks for the advice, and I meant the synchros not the ratios, my bad :)

I like to Smash
02-05-2010, 12:45 PM
you wont mess up your synchros unless you like to grind them.

Mode S/S here and i love it :)