PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Maps = Epic Fail

Boosted
02-03-2010, 06:00 PM
This is why you don't run off the shelf maps from Cobb! I just saw this on Nagtroc, some guy was running an off the shelf cobb map on his GTR and blew his motor after just 1200 Miles. Anyone else heard about this?

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36946

after less than a month driving my GTR after my perfect gearbox rebuilt, i was cruising today on 3rd gear, then i decided to shift to second gear to overtake a car, i down shifted , car accelerates like a missile, then 1 k before cutoff i hear a uninterupted sound like trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr coming from the engine, and some smoke going out of the engine, i look at the oil pressure and oil light in dash they are ok , i look in my rear view mirror and i see oil , i shift to neutral shut down the car and go to the side of the road to stop. i get down of the car open the engine from where smoke is going out, and i see all the oil under the car... at that point i was CONVINCED its an oil pipe that is broken, i called road service to get towed, go to the workshop, and... guess what............ broken cylinder block...... something seems to have broken on the crank, or piston or pushrods and made a big mess..the block is broken on both sides, i guess the broken part blew off left then right.. i was running on AP stage 2 97 version 2.0
the bad news:
- i got AP , Y pipe and 5zigen, car is already blacklisted and out of warranty :( :(
-new engine is 55,000 us$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!
-i'm really really pissed
-i hate nissan management!
-we don't know yet the extent of the damage inside the engine

the only good news:
unlike the GR6, nissan sells engine parts and not only complete assembly.. otherwise i would put fuel on the car and burn it in front of the nissan showroom

here is some pics, can anyone share any experience with the engine? any thoughts what could have happened? is there is any other cases with broken cylinders blocks???? i cant believe that the AP software upgrade could have blow off the engine.. these engines should support more than 70hp of upgraded power IMO

im in love with the gtr but i HATE nissan

Cliffs: Guy Uses Access Port off the shelf map on his GTR, Engine Grenades, Dealer voids warranty because of AP and a new motor is 55k!

FI
02-03-2010, 08:02 PM
FUUUUUUCK! That sucks. and why I only ran my stage two map for a couple hundred miles to the tuner. This was on my subie.

lg_4g
02-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah thats sucks big time but thats what he gets for skimping on something as important as a tune in his $80k car.

panda
02-06-2010, 01:33 AM
55k for a new engine... wow...

Wasabi
02-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Eeek! Time to flash her back to stock... lol

EvilAWD10
02-15-2010, 01:10 PM
seriously, when does the tuner or map that was put together by a vendor suddently gets involved

mosth8d
02-18-2010, 08:52 AM
perfect time for a 4g63 swap!

frankd14321
02-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Ok I have a friend that blew his GTR transmission... It was 22k..

So 55k for the engine
22k for the trans..

80k for the car?

What is the body, wheels, Interior and chassis made out of? Paper mache?

EVO KING
02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
sux to be that guy

biggiesacks
02-23-2010, 05:34 PM
you gotta pay to play...this guy is paying big time

JdotYang
02-23-2010, 09:34 PM
WOW!!!Â* that sucks.Â* i was actually thinking about getting the Cobb and uploading a map.Â* good thing its discontinued for the ix.

jeric
03-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Nissan has been having big problems with thier engines blowing up with low mileage. They actually recalled hundreds of GT-R's and replaced the destroyed engines and re-designed the existing ones. I'm not a fan of shelf tunes either, but i doubt the tune was wholey responsible for the engine blowing. It probably accelerated the damaged a bit sooner but it was ineveitable to begin with.

This is from the GT-R forum as well....

"Nissan recalls a number of GT-R from today and over a period of three months to perform the complete replacement of the engine and its peripherals.

This recall involves 56 vehicles in France and 350 in Europe.

Reason

Since the first deliveries, several engines have broken into Europe without real explanation and low mileage.

After research and analysis by technicians in Japan, it became a problem on the alloy component of the pallia Crankshaft engines that take the game and eventually break.

Who is affected?

Are affected by this problem and this reminder that vehicles without GPS delivered between April and June 2009.

Nissan West Europe has begun to warn customers one by one through the service dedicated GT-R and all persons affected by the recall have been prevented by next weekend.

There is no need to contact your Nissan WE or CHP.

Procedure and replacement engine

Nissan WE will then remind the owners affected by this recall and appointment will be made for the removal and return of the car.

The cars will be transported to Amsterdam in a CHP specifically dedicated to changing engines.

The cars will be equipped with a brand new engine but also of all devices. Oil cooler, etc. ...

The whole procedure lasts 10 days, return the car included.

A new owner's manual will be given to replacing the engine with new revisions intervals calculated according to the mileage of the car.

What to include

- For those who have made engine modifications on their GT-R (turbo, outlet, injectors cobb): It is imperative to put everything behind before removal of the car.

- For those who have changed the cat-back. (Y-pipe rear silencer ,...): You can leave your pieces in place, it poses no problem.

- Expect to leave your car clean and with full fuel. Nissan will add the fuel before returning for the replacement of the engine requires that it can rotate and be tested on the road.

Recovery and running

Once your GT-R returned home, there should be a little running time. Less complex than the basic running because only the engine is concerned.

- 500 km without exceed 3500 rpm
- 500 km following without exceeding 5500 rpm

No revision "after running" to predict.

Finally

Nissan takes its responsibilities largely by doing a recall of this magnitude and we (the GT-R Club and Forum members) appreciate the seriousness of the measure.

The links between Nissan and WE Club we have been informed several weeks of this recall and thus to prevent and implement various activities from club members, Notament complicated the repatriation of some cars.

I thank all members for their calm and understanding and I remain convinced that the quality of our relationship with Nissan is still grown.

Patrice Girard - PDT GT-R Club France"