PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Maps = Epic Fail

Boosted
02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
This is why you don't run off the shelf maps from Cobb! I just saw this on Nagtroc, some guy was running an off the shelf cobb map on his GTR and blew his motor after just 1200 Miles. Anyone else heard about this?

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36946

after less than a month driving my GTR after my perfect gearbox rebuilt, i was cruising today on 3rd gear, then i decided to shift to second gear to overtake a car, i down shifted , car accelerates like a missile, then 1 k before cutoff i hear a uninterupted sound like trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr coming from the engine, and some smoke going out of the engine, i look at the oil pressure and oil light in dash they are ok , i look in my rear view mirror and i see oil , i shift to neutral shut down the car and go to the side of the road to stop. i get down of the car open the engine from where smoke is going out, and i see all the oil under the car... at that point i was CONVINCED its an oil pipe that is broken, i called road service to get towed, go to the workshop, and... guess what............ broken cylinder block...... something seems to have broken on the crank, or piston or pushrods and made a big mess..the block is broken on both sides, i guess the broken part blew off left then right.. i was running on AP stage 2 97 version 2.0
the bad news:
- i got AP , Y pipe and 5zigen, car is already blacklisted and out of warranty :( :(
-new engine is 55,000 us$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!
-i'm really really pissed
-i hate nissan management!
-we don't know yet the extent of the damage inside the engine

the only good news:
unlike the GR6, nissan sells engine parts and not only complete assembly.. otherwise i would put fuel on the car and burn it in front of the nissan showroom

here is some pics, can anyone share any experience with the engine? any thoughts what could have happened? is there is any other cases with broken cylinders blocks???? i cant believe that the AP software upgrade could have blow off the engine.. these engines should support more than 70hp of upgraded power IMO

im in love with the gtr but i HATE nissan

Cliffs: Guy Uses Access Port off the shelf map on his GTR, Engine Grenades, Dealer voids warranty because of AP and a new motor is 55k!

C-Spec Tuning
02-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Funny how people spent all the time on a car but yet can't afford a real tune.Â* The fktard even got mad at Nissan for voiding his warranty :uglystupid2:

Mike W
02-03-2010, 06:10 PM
But do you think skyline guy was smart enough to at least tow the car home, put it to stock, hide the AP in a deep hole _and then_ with a good story and an angel face story tow it to the dealer? From reading this sad story I think he went straight to the dealer with mods and a blowed up motor. $55k smarter now maybe.

Mike W

Dead_Pirate
02-03-2010, 06:30 PM
lol

antox18
02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
rich people are book smart but obviosly no common sense. O0

Mister
02-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Well, the guy is from Beirut, Lebanon......so I don't think there is going to be a bunch of GTR tuners at his disposal.

JUN stroker kit time!

sxe_davexxx
02-03-2010, 06:51 PM
A quote from one of the cobb fan bois...

"Man, this sux. I don't think that ap software caused this problem but Nissan will claim it did. I'm sorry to hear about this. Maybe you can get a Jun block or something. Good luck with everything."

The first comment and someone is already defending the AP.

antox18
02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
hahaha yup alot of cars blow their engines in the first tousand miles. lol

jrecluse
02-03-2010, 09:35 PM
poor guy

rl22
02-03-2010, 10:07 PM
$55k for a FCKN engine :'( i guess you need some horse power in ur wallet to repair a gtr. makes that evo look much nicer new crate motor $6k installed O0

hellgunner
02-03-2010, 10:51 PM
$55k for a FCKN engine :'( i guess you need some horse power in ur wallet to repair a gtr. makes that evo look much nicer new crate motor $6k installed O0

no kidding, thats with the turbo too. haha

S2myEVO
02-03-2010, 10:56 PM
damn 6k installed is a sweet ass deal. VIII motor? IX motor? do you get to keep the old engine too?

HB Speed
02-04-2010, 10:24 AM
thats what happens when you cant read the Map notes that come with the Maps

I think i know what could have happened , unfortunatly i discovered it late.. just tonight!! :
the fuel we have in lebanon is 98 octane RON while in the US its 93 AKI and not RON. when i downloaded the new AP software , i had to choose the country, and since my GTR is a US spec car, i choosed USJDM software and i ran on stage 2 97 octane software. the 97 octane of the US maps is AKI while i was running 98 octane RON. and 98 octane RON appears to be less than 93 octane AKI... timing settings should have been different...

running a 97 oct map on 93 = fail

the new V2 cobb base maps are far safer than the V1.08 that were out for the gtr
I have tuned dozens of them.

this is what a Properly Tuned GTR makes on 100
http://hbspeed.com/dyno/graph.php?gb=0&hp=1&torque=1&sl=1&sln=1&runid1=275&rgb1=000000255

FI
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
What a dumb ass.

Looney Tuning
02-05-2010, 01:06 PM
The 97 octane RON is the same as the 93 octane AKI in the US. Note that the Cobb 93 octane and 97 RON have the same hp/tq gain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

The free maps from Cobb do NOT have 97 octane AKI for the US, only 97 octane RON. He says that he ran 97 octane RON and the gas in Lebanon is 98 octane RON.

http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/nissan/AP-NIS-005/R35.html

Something else must have caused his engine to blow. I suspect it is a boost spike of some sort.

Looney Tuning
02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
This nugget from a tuner on the site:

Canned Cobb tunes, from what I've seen posted here, rely heavily on the knock sensor to retard timing. Posts on the forum of logs w/ knock sums in the multiple thousand range, timing retards of 3-5 deg constantly are common. Just poor tuning strategy IMHO.

If a knock sensor fails, timing is no longer retarded during a detonation event. Pistons fail.

Sounds like the Shiv tuning strategy to me. Advance the timing and ride the knock sensor and let it back off the timing.

HB Speed
02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
This nugget from a tuner on the site:

Canned Cobb tunes, from what I've seen posted here, rely heavily on the knock sensor to retard timing. Posts on the forum of logs w/ knock sums in the multiple thousand range, timing retards of 3-5 deg constantly are common. Just poor tuning strategy IMHO.

If a knock sensor fails, timing is no longer retarded during a detonation event. Pistons fail.

Sounds like the Shiv tuning strategy to me. Advance the timing and ride the knock sensor and let it back off the timing.

On the older V1.08 maps this was true the new 2.00 maps are not like this

a stock car can run -300 to -1200 on a stock tune, which is 1-3 degrees pulled, STOCK

The boost control strategy will not allow boost spikes. The problem is the Rod bearing recall happening.

big boss
02-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I got alil Scurd but then I saw it was a GTR then I went Fwwwwww!!! :D

blkside
02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
You can put a car back to stock and then try to warranty it.. damn thats a good idea...lol

Looney Tuning
02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Well, he was running on the 1.08 before. Maybe the damage was done then. Why would Cobb release maps that ride the knock sensor in the first place is beyond me. I am glad they fixed that with the 2.0 version, but knock causes damage over a period of time and this GTR had the 1.08 version.

It is NOT the octane rating, that is for sure.

It is also possible that the rod bearing re-call for the cars is the issue, but it is only supposed to be for the EU models and not the USDM models. That is what I read. This GTR was a USDM model.

Looney Tuning
02-05-2010, 02:01 PM
You can put a car back to stock and then try to warranty it.. damn thats a good idea...lol

The GTR has a recorder and it records flashes and re-flashes. The dealer knows that you moded it with a flash. You got to pay to play with the GTR. Just leave it stock if you cannot pay. It has more than plenty of power that way.

HB Speed
02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Well, he was running on the 1.08 before. Maybe the damage was done then. Why would Cobb release maps that ride the knock sensor in the first place is beyond me. I am glad they fixed that with the 2.0 version, but knock causes damage over a period of time and this GTR had the 1.08 version.

It is NOT the octane rating, that is for sure.

It is also possible that the rod bearing re-call for the cars is the issue, but it is only supposed to be for the EU models and not the USDM models. That is what I read. This GTR was a USDM model.

GT-R dont use a typical timing map, they run on a Closed loop ignition that is based off of Combustion duration and knock sensor feedback and fueling (which is also closed loop)
The unfortunate part is that the retard that made the cobb stage maps (over a year ago) couldn't tune a goddamn guitar never mind a $80K car
His self proclaimed expert tuning on the platform is a joke, a retarded monkey could have done a better job.

1slowrex
02-07-2010, 10:49 AM
55k motor lol poor guy

docboz
12-13-2011, 10:42 AM
I got alil Scurd but then I saw it was a GTR then I went Fwwwwww!!! :D

if you can afford a GTR and choose to mod it, well then you can suck it when you grenade your motor on the freeway wrapped out in 2nd gear tuff titties!

pikadosboy
12-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Fuckin necro bump!!!!

kambodianboi
12-13-2011, 10:57 AM
I like were this is going...

leetEVO
12-13-2011, 11:12 AM

The GTR has a recorder and it records flashes and re-flashes. The dealer knows that you moded it with a flash. You got to pay to play with the GTR. Just leave it stock if you cannot pay. It has more than plenty of power that way.

Are there any known ways around this recorder? Swaping ecus maybe? This really was on my list for next year...but 55k a motor makes my bills at RRE seem non exsistant hahaha

kambodianboi
12-13-2011, 11:21 AM
You cannot bypass the GTR black box. It logs boost, flash events, throttle, you name it.

amaev05
12-13-2011, 11:12 PM
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuking laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

DTunedEvoX
12-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Sweet so free car logger?! :D LOL

bardabe
12-15-2011, 01:59 AM
haha don't say this on the nissan forums but Uprev is almost done cracking the ECU, soon we can just shut off NATS, BCM, PDIM, if you are creative you can thug life the flash from the black box

stormbird
12-16-2011, 08:55 AM
When will guys learn. If you modify your car, you can't bitch when shit breaks. Especially when you live in freaking Lebanon.

TitosEVO
04-12-2012, 04:17 AM
lol

i know this is really old, but if he would have done that, doesnt he need to drive it again to log some data on the ecu so the dealer see?

raygrant
03-24-2013, 01:05 PM
That sucks