PDA

View Full Version : Mixing 91 Octane And E85 On An FP RED

Archiebabes
02-07-2010, 08:14 AM

prime8
02-07-2010, 09:46 AM
i probably wont mix it whatsoever. im planning on doing the same as far as using e85 all the time and using 91 when i run out. who are u being tuned by if u dont mind me asking.

EvoBaja
10-12-2010, 10:15 AM
e85 and 91 mix just fine. when a computer is mapped correctly for e85, the computer will automatically adjust for whatever ratio of 91 and e85 you put in the tank.

the two fuels mix just fine, its a matter of making sure the tuning was done properly

75% pump 25% e85
50/50
then 75%e85 and 25% pump

after that you can do whatever mix u want and the computer will adjust.

blkside
10-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Really so here is a question seeing you know so much about mixing fuels...

1. How are you going to guarantee you have an exact measured ratio? Are you going to empty your tank every time you fill up and remeasure for proper fuel mixing?

2. Why would you wanna mix the fuel in the first place?
a- you wanna have a race fuel that when mixed with 91 creates a ton of detonation?
b- you wanna have pump gas with the smell of E85

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to mix the fuels. NONE

You can sit here and tell me a million different ideas you found on the net... I dont care

Its best to run them as pure as possible to prevent any issues .... plain and simple.

Mike W
10-12-2010, 10:44 AM
EvoBaja just forgot to preface his answer that it applies to other factory Flex Fuel cars and has nothing to do with an EVO that has been tuned on E-85.

Mike W

EvoBaja
10-12-2010, 10:52 AM
You dont need to mix them exactly. The computer will analyze it as it comes in. Yea your right u would rather run them separately. But mixing will work perfectly.

You mix to save cash buddy. You also mix to keep engine heat down. If u need a fuel with a higher flash point to protect against detonation but can't/don't want to advance timing then use mix fuels to keep heat down and flash up

Being as my cousin is in the fuel industry I'd say I have a better wealth of knowledge in this field He's been working there for years. Mixed fuels don't have seperate rates of flash when mixed. They mix and have a new flash point.

I'm assuming your the same kind of guy that thinks mixing 87 and 91 gives you 89 huh? Your pretty violent Calm down

EvoBaja
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
No my reference was not toward flex fuels only. Thank you for not telling me what I was saying.

blkside
10-12-2010, 11:00 AM
How come every time someone knows someone that does something that means they know it also... Well lets run down some things you dont know..

I have been an A&P mechanic for 13 years. I work with more petroleum based products than you can spell. Im not impressed that your cousin drives a gas truck for a living. My uncle was a supreme court judge in Washington state. Does that make me a lawyer. Nope but apparently your cousins job makes you an expert.

Ok if you know so much there rocket scientist...

What is the ROM of E85 and the specific gravity. Explain how mixing 2 distallates that have different elemental compounds is better than running an isometrically rich fuel.

The reason I am upset is because all of you internet geniuses get on here and spread misinformation. If you would like to partake in a battle of wits.. come back after you use google and you are actually armed.

ON to intelligent conversation..

So Mike... talking to Rossy on FB and I am scheduling her a day off cause I am gonna come in and keep you in line. Hey can you tune the suburban.. its a factory flex fuel vehicle....

GokuSSJ4
10-12-2010, 11:13 AM
U r too funny Timmmey Boy!!!
Some people rather be cheap and sorry at the end then prevent things in the first place...

EvoBaja
10-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Don't need to be. My cousin who doesn't drive a gas truck, that doesn't just play with himself and petroleum products like it sounds like u do, is sitting here with me, and actually makes fuel ntells me otherwise. We've run these mixed fuels we are speaking of exactly in his STI as I was there with him doin the mixing. We also made our own race fuel and mixed it with 91. Toluene. Ever heard of it with all your gracious pertoleum background? Probably not

Know what's up before you open your mouth buddy.

Just because uve sold Vaseline at the walmart where u work doesnt mean u work with all petroleum products.

blkside
10-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I mean if I was interested in running a cool detonation free engine I would turn down the boost.
I love it how people get on here with all this information.
I have been a mechanic for 13 years with an A&P, I have a college degree in criminal justice and am certified hazmat.

You will never see me give legal advice or try to clean up an oil spill.
Damn I just wish people would stick to the facts...

I have a guy at work here with a 95 civic with a STOCK K20 that does 12s and has a 10000 rpm redline. Then again he also said he saw an A10 warthog chase a rocket down and shoot it out of the sky.

Tomas you gonna come hang out when I get back from the desert in a few weeks...?

Oh yeah cause mixing toluene means you know how to mix race fuels.. people have been adding methanol,toluene and numerous other sorts of solvents to fuels for years.. That is the basis of adding Priss to jet fuel in order to provide it with anti icing capabilites at altitude. Please stop before I embarass you and your brother. Why did it take so long for you to respond. Google not open up fast enough. I have all day to do this.. I sam sitting in afghanistan.. oh yeah thats right I am a hangar lead for a phase team for AH64Ds... yeah thats it playing with POL...

RisingphoenIx
10-12-2010, 11:22 AM
e85 and 91 mix just fine. when a computer is mapped correctly for e85, the computer will automatically adjust for whatever ratio of 91 and e85 you put in the tank.

the two fuels mix just fine, its a matter of making sure the tuning was done properly

75% pump 25% e85
50/50
then 75%e85 and 25% pump

after that you can do whatever mix u want and the computer will adjust.

the only "adjustment" going on is a change in long term fuel trims. Â*Depending on who's behind the keyboard the fuel trim MAY or MAY NOT carry over to WOT operation. Â*What you are saying is totally off in terms of application to the evo. Â*I can also tell you that the Subaru ECU controls fuel differently than the evo. Â*Do not come on here and assume that because you work or whoever with petroleum that you automatically know whats going on in the ECU and how it controls the mixture.

EvoBaja
10-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm done. Assume what u want. And no smartass he makes fuel. Daily basis for exxon. Not in his garage.

Mike W
10-12-2010, 11:29 AM
The EVO has no fuel analizer. Factory flex fuel cars do. With an EVO you need to run what you were tuned with.

PM me an address to send some factory EVO manuals on CD to you so you and your fuelie can do some reading.

Mike W

blkside
10-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Well this was very productive children. This is why I get hostile on the boards because 90% of you would have thought twice about this. This is why LEARNING your car and all aspects of it is so important.

Nice to have Mike W. and Rick here to help keep the misinformation down. Thanks...

GokuSSJ4
10-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm done. Assume what u want. And no smartass he makes fuel. Daily basis for exxon. Not in his garage.
that might be the case, however what guarantees that your statements when mixing fuels and having a safe map on an Evo ecu?
By you providing wrong information can misleading to others who happen to be new to the Evo community.
The purpose of a topic is to discuss and point out the facts away from ideas with solid evidence. Â*
The last thing u wanna see is an individual blow his/her motor because they ASSummed mix fuels are ok to have on an aggressive map and that it will be perfectly fine since the ecu "suppose to" take care of it by making adjustments on the fly @wot

GokuSSJ4
10-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Well this was very productive children. This is why I get hostile on the boards because 90% of you would have thought twice about this. This is why LEARNING your car and all aspects of it is so important.

Nice to have Mike W. and Rick here to help keep the misinformation down. Thanks...
don't u love the peanut gallery!????
N hit me up when u arrive

R-EVOLUTION
10-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Very Usefull info, Thanks Guys...

blkside
10-12-2010, 12:03 PM
No problem bro..

Easiest thing to remember is you pay someone to tune your car for a specific set of parameters...
fuel,boost,timing and you dont mess with them.

HMatt
10-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Yeah... WOW... Umm...

My comments:

It's not a good idea to switch to e85 or mix it with 91 in an evo and assume the ECU will compensate. The car doesn't have the ability to tell what it's being fed with. Mixing the same type of fuel like 100 octane with 91 is not the same as mixing ethanol and 91 oct since they are different types of fuels with different thermal properties. (I know e85 has 15% 91 in it before anyone jumps down my throat.)

If going to a higher octane like 100 oct race gas from 91, then yes, the ecu can compensate to an extent and most ecus do. Over time the ecu can advance timing a touch to gain more power in much the same way that it can learn to retard timing if it constantly gets knock. With an absence of knock for a certain time period, it will raise timing a hair to test the waters (so-to-speak) and then take it from there. This does not happen in the first 10 seconds after you turn the key.

The toluene crap... Whopee... You figured out that adding paint thinner to 91 increases it's octane level. Good for you. Welcome to 10 years ago, population - you and your brother. Do you REALLY want paint thinner in your fuel system? Do you really? I personally don't. If that qualifies you as an all-knowing fuel mixer then I outrank your brother because I've made biodiesel before.

As you know though, none of this applies to you, YOUR evo motor is completely different than everybody else's and will run just fine no matter what fuel you put in it in what combination. Hell, throw strait nitro-meth in it and let us know how it works out for you. The ecu will compensate for it.

Mike W
10-13-2010, 12:38 PM
No PM for the manuals :-(

Since EvoBaja has an X motor in a Baja chassis it would be easy for the fuel scientist buddy to point out the alleged fuel sensor on his car.

Mike W

blkside
10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Well thats because he has reformulated the fuel and now he gets 1200 mpg so he will never need anyones help ....

HMatt
10-13-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm just glad people like this only seem to pop-up and argue on the intardnet. If they did this in person, I wouldn't be able to say I have a clean record.

Massappeal
11-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Stick with E85 or pump! dont mix it.... Dont be lazy about draining the fuel line Archie! :grin: O0

blkside
11-03-2010, 10:08 PM
You dont have to drain the fuel in the line.. run it till the light comes on and then for a few minutes longer and you are fine to switch maps.. the minimal amount of residual fuel in the lines will be gone and of no consequence...

white9
11-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Easy Timmy! You always get so angry! Hahahah