PDA

View Full Version : help rre need price check

twistedevo8
02-21-2010, 03:28 PM
well i need head work..i snaped timing belt on freeway and valves when out ..know the question is ..what work would be best on head for the things i wanna put on my evo 8..i have a full 30r kit..rc1000.ams fuel rail.280 hks cams.255 walbro pump....what do u guys recommend on my head sp it would run good on this setup..and price to build head?

Mike W
02-24-2010, 04:29 PM
First someone needs to pull the cylinder head off the car and see what all is tore up. Depending on how it all went bad, it could need new valves and guides... or the whole motor could be junk. You need to see what you need to spend on dead parts before you go plannign upgrades.

It can get fugly in there quick:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/deadstuff/kanaly-holeinpiston.jpg

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclipsetech/deadstuff/kanaly-peeledvalve2.jpg

Mike W

Brand0n
02-24-2010, 05:15 PM
OMG!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

HMatt
02-24-2010, 10:37 PM
DAmn... nice pics...

To the op, that's not from bent valves from a timing belt snap, you can clearly see the timing belt intack and ziptied to the timing gears. I doubt Mike would have done that if the timing belt snapped, lol.... Looks like someone wasn't watching thier EGT's and ran a little lean for a little too long.

Picture dings in the tops of your pistons that may or may not be able to be fixed, and valves bent up into your head possibly causing dents which may, or may not be able to be fixed. lol

Mike W
02-25-2010, 01:10 AM
Actually that was from a balance chaft belt snapping. The balance belt remnants get jammed up in the timing belt and it skips. Everything opening and closing at the wrong time makes a mess.

Mike W

Drifting Away
02-25-2010, 01:12 AM
damn thats bad, i think ill do my 60k now....

HMatt
02-25-2010, 08:04 AM
^I thought you did it already!?!?!?! You mean you drove all the way to willow springs and back, and even ran on the track with a 70K timing belt?!?!?!?

Mike, damn.... all from a jumpped tooth... impressive...

Mike W
02-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Have a car in the shop right now getting a new motor thanks to a DIY timing belt job. Silent valve death. You would be surprised how much destruction can happen in there and you dont hear a thing.

I bought an Eclipse from the MMSA race team back in 1996. It only had 8k miles on it (only driven on Sundays :-) ) but had been sitting for 4 years in Riverside stench and heat. FIrst time on the track the timing belt let go on the front straight at Willow Springs. Didnt hear a thing, just buuuuuuuuuuhhhhh - no power. Coasted to turn two exit. All the teeth on the belt stripped off where the belt had been wrapped around the small oil pump sprocket sitting forever.

It isnt your odometer that wears parts. One car could have more timing belt laps from 30K stop and go traffic and drivethroughs than another with 60k of going to Vegas and back for a serious blackjack habit.

Mike W

blkside
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM
With that.. Mike please go run my car so it doesnt sit too long...