PDA

View Full Version : what's better for ecu boost?

91_gsx
03-10-2010, 12:17 PM
i'm on the GST boost pill right now, but i've been considering switching to another ecu based boost to get more boost. i currently log boost with the zeitronix map sensor and i'm not sure what the purpose of using the jdm/Evo X map sensor is for to control boost. Should i just get rid of the zeitronix map sensor and use only the JDM/EVOX map sensor?

HMatt
03-10-2010, 12:23 PM
If you go with the jdm/evo x 3bar or the omni 4bar, it ties directly into your ecu and you can not only log boost through the ecu, but you can set up the ecu to be psi dependant boost control. Basically, instead of watching load cells and a gauge, then adjusting the goal load and setting the wgdc by %, you enter in your desired psi, and the ecu does the rest... it's quite cool... Then if you decide to convert to speed density, you just need to pick up a gm air intake temp sensor and do a little more programming and you are good.

I vote gm 3-port w/jdm map... but i would get the omni 4-bar. It's about the same price and you have more room to grow. Plus it gives out more linear readings.

And there is a company that sells a plug and play harness for it for $10 with the resistor inline and everything... I can't think of it off the top of my head, but if you search for it on here I think it's at the end of a thread called "how to make a plug and play harness for gm 3-port" or something to that affect...

91_gsx
03-10-2010, 03:40 PM
thanks for the info. i'll look more into changing my rom.

jdmcwestevo1
03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
or instead of the gm 3 port there is that egr thing that plugs right in. some people had luck with that.

HMatt
03-10-2010, 04:19 PM
^true... but I still haven't seen any extensive test results on that...

And changing your rom isn't difficult if you have a tactrix cable, ecu flash, and an internet connection. Just dl the proper rom from the tephra thread on evom, and convert your tune over with the big map convertor to past into tephra.

Once you have that done, there is the options for the boost control and speed density built in. So when you get it, just hit a couple buttons.

silvrEVOIXn818
03-10-2010, 04:27 PM
using the EGR as a 3-port is a NO-NO. Â*Ask bryan, he posted up about what a shitty curve it creates... Â*
From what Ive read, you CAN use it, but results wont be a "smooth" boost curve.
From the test that have been done, the GM is the best! Â*
Now if youre a self tuner, you might wanna get the JDM sensor, so you can log / tune boost, rather than load... Â*Same results, just easier to shoot for "x" amount of boost, rather than load. Â*
If bryans gonna tune it, doesnt matter load or boost will be on point w/ him! Â*
I personally have the JDM/GM 3-port combo, and love it! Â*On a good day, I can hit full boost by 3375, and I dont necessarily need to start @ 2000 to get there... Â*

I will say that if u have the GST pill in the stock BCS, its got the same holding powa (of boost) that the GM has... Â*I ran a pill from Naji, for a while. Â*To go to "direct boost control" I believe requires a 3-port for best results... Â*U can run it w/ out, but again, results will vary... Â*I believe the 3-port is just a hair more responsive, but dont have any data to back it up...

HMatt
03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
The 3-port is much more responsive because of the way it operates. the stocker just bleeds off from the T of vacum line on the turbo.

91_gsx
03-10-2010, 05:36 PM
yah i'm in the works to get a windows on my Macbook pro so i can flash and work on the xml files, but reflashing was easier on my old dell before it went to shit. Anyone care to help me out w/ setting up the tephra mod? i was gonna go e-85 next week and wanted to have the alt-map switch installed by then, if not i guess i have to revert to bringing my laptop w/ me

HMatt
03-10-2010, 05:55 PM
^with v7, you don't need an alt map switch... all you gotta do is hold down the gas pedal with the switch in the on position, then the cel will flash at you to let you know it's on the other map.

Granted, if you do this, you don't have the valet mode anymore...

And dl bootcamp for your mac so you can dual boot, OR find a copy of paralells... Your choice. I have an enterprise copy of xp somewhere around here I can hook you up with... If you are anywhere close to me anyway... I can help you with the tephro conversion over email.

jdmcwestevo1
03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
i stand corrected on the EGR thing i havent read up on the test yet i just remember when they figured it out they were like OMG so sick.

if you need help converting maps etc. i could help you out shoot me a PM harrison im tuning today if u wanna come by we can clean up your tune at stephen's im sitting in the car logging fuel trims on my car as i type lol

HMatt
03-10-2010, 06:20 PM
^yeah... that's nice... I'M ON DUTY...

91_gsx
03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
HMatt where you located?

HMatt
03-11-2010, 01:32 AM
Me and the other guy (jdmcwestevo1) are in the camp pendleton/oceanside area.

91_gsx
03-11-2010, 02:51 AM
word, i'm south of you guys. near the naval station. another time i get free we should meet and you can show me how the tephra rom stuff works. still some what confusing for me.

HMatt
03-11-2010, 02:53 AM
^oh... it'll blow your fuckin' mind man. Lots of headaches for me... BUT once I figured it out, it's not that hard...

And yeah dude, no prob. Hit me up when you are gonna be in the area and we can work something out.

HMatt
03-11-2010, 03:09 AM
Oh, and if you go here:

http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=36&Itemid=57

They have a version of ECUflash that is compatible with mac's.

91_gsx
03-11-2010, 01:33 PM
yah i have that on the mac, but i can't change the xml info to do tephra mod on the mac.

HMatt
03-12-2010, 09:09 AM
^gotcha... Well, like I said, I'm down to help. If you just need help converting to tephra, all you gotta do it copy over all your stuff into the new rom... not terribly hard, but it is a pain in the ass...

Drifting Away
03-12-2010, 12:45 PM
you need the tephra big map converter on evom id post the link but evom is blocked here at work.

HMatt
03-12-2010, 01:03 PM
^it's a link on the tephra thread. I have it as well. It doesn't really matter to him though, he can't edit the xmls on the mac version, so someone with a pc will have to do it for him.

Wait.... actually...... you shouldn't have to edit the xml.. version 7 comes with it's own xml, so you can just drag and drop that into whatever folder all the other xmls are in...

jdmcwestevo1
03-12-2010, 01:12 PM
^it's a link on the tephra thread. I have it as well. It doesn't really matter to him though, he can't edit the xmls on the mac version, so someone with a pc will have to do it for him.

Wait.... actually...... you shouldn't have to edit the xml.. version 7 comes with it's own xml, so you can just drag and drop that into whatever folder all the other xmls are in...

some comps u cant even do that my girls laptop that i tactically aquired for tuning purposes i had to un hide all folders and turn off all kinds of bullshit in vista i miss xp :(

ohhgyeahfasho
03-13-2010, 02:55 AM
word, i'm south of you guys. near the naval station. another time i get free we should meet and you can show me how the tephra rom stuff works. still some what confusing for me.

Everything is clearly defined and explained at http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/TephraMod

91_gsx
03-17-2010, 12:15 PM
well got my omni 4bar map sensor and gruppe-s 3port. just need to get a laptop or someone free today to help me set my rom

RALLInspired
03-17-2010, 01:27 PM
well got my omni 4bar map sensor and gruppe-s 3port. just need to get a laptop or someone free today to help me set my rom

im not that close but i can help set you up. located in norwalk 90650

just don't forget that the calibrations for the 4 bar map sensor are a little different than the GM and to lower the WGDC before driving off with the 3 port installed O0

HMatt
03-17-2010, 02:39 PM
^hmmm... i'm not really free until the weekend...

And that's a simple enough install, just take the parts with you whever you go with them. The map is 2 bolts and a plug, right on top, and the bcs... well... if you have about 3 or 4 feet of vaccum hose and the plug and play harness, you are good... Well... if you don't have your stock airbox in anyway... if you do, it's underneath it...

If you want to come up this weekend, me and my buddy are probably going to be working on his skittle (srt-4), so you can meet us and bullshit for a bit and I can help ya out. Just make sure you bring your tactrix cable. I don't have mine anymore.... :(

91_gsx
03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
yah i have the weekend off. i was gonna check out reese tuning's dyno shootout this sat

HMatt
03-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Go ahead man, supposed to be a good time. Me and a few buddies are going to qualcomm friday night for drag legal. and I'm sure we will be working on something on sunday if you want to come up then... Actually, I'm probably going to be free this afternoon if you want to drop by.

91_gsx
03-18-2010, 04:13 PM
i'll be at qualcomm friday as well, not sure if i'll be racing tomorrow. pm me your # and i'll hit u up tomorrow

HMatt
03-18-2010, 05:10 PM
^yeah, not sure I'll be racing either... the wife is trying to force me to, but I'm on the stock clutch and I really don't want to push it, lol.

PM'd!