PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 10W-30 suffice for Evo X

Skiracer
03-29-2010, 08:06 AM
For a Evo X, owners manual says 5W-30 synthetic oil should be used. Can i use Mobil 1 10W-30?

Massimo Power
03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Yes you'll be fine. O0

Skiracer
03-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes you'll be fine.Â* O0

Cool, now i can buy my oil cheap at Costco now O0

KT Motoring
03-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Costco has 5-30 as well.

Skiracer
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
5W 30 is typically better if you're in cooler climates correct and 10W30 is better if its "slightly" warmer?

STIH8TER
03-31-2010, 12:33 PM
How much oil does the Evo X need to be changed? What type of oil filter do you guys use?

ImEv0
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
5W 30 is typically better if you're in cooler climates correct and 10W30 is better if its "slightly" warmer?

is this true? so in s. cali 10w30 would be a better choice.

that1guynick
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Motor Oil Myths & Facts (http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm)

Jeffs2006EvoIX
04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Oil is a HUGE debate to get started on ANY Car Forum. That is why I am replying hehe. Most Engine Builders don't even know about oil per say. I mean it isn't rocket science, but there is allot to it that people don't realize. There are MANY factors to answer the questions people have. To answer yours, to use 10/30 M1 would work? Sure it would. Would I use it? No. It has nothing to do with weight either. M1 is a great oil and if your driving around town, just driving the Evo as a regular car and you live in a nice cool climate that isn't super hot, or super cold its fine. BUT and I say BUT, with the 4B11T there is an obvious problem with oil for the Turbo. HEAT. The 4G63 had MUCH better airflow to the turbo and oil temps stayed cooler with or without the oil cooler. Granted the 4B11T does indeed have an Oil Cooler so what gives? Well think of this. What happens when you shut the car off? That M1 just is baking in the crevaces of the turbo, the journal bearings ect. What happens on a cold day when the thermostat on the Oil Cooler never opens? Things like that. M1 also meets per :mitsu: manual the new "SN" API certifications. Did :mitsu: use this specification to meet new EPA standards? or for the durability of the motor itself? mmmmm I will let you decide on that one.

Oil is a choice, just like any car you buy. If you want to spend big money on a little rally car then do your car a favor and buy a real synthetic oil for it. Sure it may cost ya a few extra bucks but isn't it worth it? Sure the issues that may or may not resolve with M1 may not surface till your car is out of warranty or you sold it, but if you plan on keeping it? Wouldn't it be worth it to have an oil that can keep it that much cleaner? To help it out just a tad bit more? IMO the answer is YES. Oil weights also play a huge part but I won't go into that. That is between you and the guy who built your motor. But my Recommendation would be to use either Redline 5/30 or Amsoil 5/30 signature series. Granted the Redline DOES NOT have the API certifications on the label, but :mitsu: would have to prove that the oil was indeed the cause of any failure. I seriously doubt that any Redline product would cause a failure. Amsoil does have the certification and both of the oils mentioned are True synthetic oils that IMO the Evo deserves to have.

Jeff

Skiracer
04-18-2012, 08:32 PM
holy necro bump... O0