PDA

View Full Version : evo 8 in car forged piston and rods install

amaev05
05-06-2010, 07:35 AM
hay guys just looking for a little help from anyone who has done this and which parts were used how it worked out for them in the long run. story= car curently has 23,xxx miles only driven on the weekend and at track events, always 3k ams oil changes and never seen boost past 23psi. car always had a small tick in the head area near the fpr, well i installed a tomei arms turbo and kelford cams and since the cams the tick has become louder and louder well after finaly sorting out my tune i was doing some pulls and the bolt holding the 02 to the turbo came out and i got a bad exhaust leak, well since i had to pull the whole turbo to get to the bolt i figured i would pull the oil pan to check out the rod bearings as this was a sugestion as to what the problem could be, when i did i found a only few small metal flakes 1 in the pick up and 1 in the pan, well so far i only pulled the caps off the 2 l/r end rods and they looked almost brand new on the crank side, and the 2 center ones have no up and down play only a little side to side, seems normal? sooo, im thinking the crank is ok, whats the chances of a main bearing going bad?
ok so my main question is since i am alredy in there i think i want to just drop in a new set of rods pistons and bearings opinions? any done this? i might need to pay someone with experence with this to help me with the install, also want to do head studs and valve springs with everything apart.

amaev05
05-06-2010, 10:22 AM
please any info or help would be appreciated.

evolution8mirage
05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
someone shime in for this fellow evo member

bump

biggiesacks
05-06-2010, 02:40 PM
There are some very important tolerances that need to be checked when doing bottem end work. I dont wan to discourage you, but to protect your investment you should really work with a pro engine builder on stuff like this.

amaev05
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
just want to know who has done this and how did it work out for them. think i ought to move this to evom

GokuSSJ4
05-07-2010, 12:46 PM
you might wanna check your lifters as well (due to the tick) n when doing something of this magnitude, you should consult someone with a lot of experience instead of playing mechanic. Since at the end, you can end up in a worst situation than you originally started.
just my .02 cents

amaev05
05-07-2010, 07:31 PM
ok thank you guys for the warnings but please is there any one on here with any experience with this, FYI this would not be the first motor i have built also i am pretty sure the tick is just lifter because i was showing zero counts of knock, but since the motor is still almost new at only 23k and the way i get things done is to rip it apart and quickly i will go crazy not having it to drive, and fix it! i was going to try the drop in pistons and rods method and want to see what people have done.

reggieting
05-09-2010, 09:05 PM
As long as your car was never starved of oil your rod bearings should be OK. Did the ticking get louder after your cams were installed?
Im thinking either lifter tick or loud injectors?
There is a big difference between a tick and a knock.

edit.
If you want it done right get everything machined, balanced and blue printed. There is more to building than just putting pieces together and hoping it will last...And if you decide to do it yourself remember to torque everything properly. GL.

biggiesacks
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
You really cant just throw the parts in. You gotta use a Micrometer and an inside bore gauge to determine all the proper tolerances. Plastigauge wont do either so dont try and take that route. Also im not even sure if you could shove the pistons in from the bottem, most ring compressors are meant to be used from the top. Ive never built a 4g63 but i would emagine trying to push the piston up from the bottem with a ring compressor would be a super PITA, esp with the crank in the way. Really to do this job right you need to pull the engine. You cant even hope of having a balanced bottem end with this type of an install.

HMatt
05-14-2010, 12:06 AM
^yeah... the only people I have heard of doing piston and rod replacements with the block in the car... BUT the head was removed and they were dropped-in from the top.

amaev05
05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Update. Got the head off and pistons out. And every thing looks brand new still. Pistons were very tight to remov and rod bearings barly looked worn. Though at this piont I relly want to just do it right and am thinking of getting a buschur motor, seems to be the best bang for the buck. Though in looking I found that buschur makes a piston just for a in car install. My next question is any one have a cherry picker/engine hoist I can use?? Lol

amaev05
05-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Any one know the weight of a bare block with crank? Could 2 or 3 guys lift it out?

NativeSS
05-19-2010, 07:41 AM
i have a cherry picker you can use. i keep it at my buddies house out in el cajon though.

amaev05
05-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Nativss thank you for the offer if I don't find anything closer to the oc, I will take you up on it. Is it foldable or can be broken down to fit in a car with fold down seats or will I need a truck?
Thank you all for the help the evo comunity is the best,

NativeSS
05-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Nativss thank you for the offer if I don't find anything closer to the oc, I will take you up on it. Is it foldable or can be broken down to fit in a car with fold down seats or will I need a truck?
Thank you all for the help the evo comunity is the best,

it folds in half, the bigger the vehicle the better

amaev05
06-27-2010, 11:39 AM
well got it out thanks to the help of javi/monstergarage, who is also going to help me with a full build, i will be starting a build thread soon when things get some momentum.

phoreal
06-27-2010, 12:44 PM
well got it out thanks to the help of javi/monstergarage, who is also going to help me with a full build, i will be starting a build thread soon when things get some momentum.

goodluck O0 :grin:

amaev05
06-27-2010, 05:27 PM
/\ /\ /\ any input ?

n03lsevo
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
ok thank you guys for the warnings but please is there any one on here with any experience with this, FYI this would not be the first motor i have built also i am pretty sure the tick is just lifter because i was showing zero counts of knock, but since the motor is still almost new at only 23k and the way i get things done is to rip it apart and quickly i will go crazy not having it to drive, and fix it! i was going to try the drop in pistons and rods method and want to see what people have done.

my first setup was a dropin from BR with JE and Crower rods, it's very do-able. You'll need to check piston wall clearance as I am sure you'll have plenty for only having 25k on the motor. Buy a tool to deglase the cylinder walls to seat the rings in. Carefull though this method is noth really recommended and has a way bigger downside than most. Good luck

amaev05
08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
hay thanks for the info, yea i decided to go another rout