PDA

View Full Version : Left to Right motion on Steering wheel causing clunking below.

I like to Smash
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, just posting to see if anybody would know the problem before taking it into scm this weekend.

The car drives perfectly fine and straight. Just recently found this weird clunking noise as i move the steering wheel left to right quickly.

2nd gear off the gas around 15-20mph, as i turn the steering wheel left to right, i can hear slight clunking underneath the car. I cannot diagnose the problem. It happens at lower speeds. I have tried higher speeds and it does not make the clunking noise.

It sounds like it coming right dab in the middle where the transmission is as well as the rear end of the car.

driveshaft? rack N pinion? any thoughts guys?

It will go into SCM this weekend for the tsb's and this minor clunking 8)

any thoughts?

evolution8mirage
05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
i had a similar problem but on my VIII, my problem ended up being my transfer case, the diff in there was bad.

does it hesitate a bit when turning at slow speeds?

I like to Smash
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
i had a similar problem but on my VIII, my problem ended up being my transfer case, the diff in there was bad.

does it hesitate a bit when turning at slow speeds?

the car itself hesitating??? I dont feel anything different other than hearing that clunking sound. it sounds like the noise might be coming from the center of the tranny, driveshaft, or rear diff...cant spot it out.

evolution8mirage
05-07-2010, 03:03 PM
ok then it shouldnt be something too major, well hope not lol.

I like to Smash
05-07-2010, 04:16 PM
^^ yeah, ill update once it gets back from the dealership. Fingers Crossed.

xhazeyx
05-09-2010, 03:13 AM
update? was there a problem?

I like to Smash
05-10-2010, 06:13 PM
^^Took it to the dealership on saturday. Got my new reflash, they drove the car trying to duplicate the clunking noise, couldnt hear what i was talking about. I probably didnt state at the time, but i told them after that it only happens when i turn the steering wheel left to right quickly.

no major left to rights, even the slightest left to right movement.

Funny thing is i cannot hear goin 50+

i hear it ranging from 10-45mph off throttle/sometimes on throttle in 2nd-4th gear.

Going back for a more detailed search on this clunking this weekend. will keep you all updated.

MaC_X
07-18-2010, 12:42 AM
i can hear this noise too when turning left or right full lock @ 5 mph.. is this normal???

MaC_X
07-25-2010, 11:44 PM
???

I like to Smash
07-28-2010, 12:40 PM
i can hear this noise too when turning left or right full lock @ 5 mph.. is this normal???

does this happen when turning left to right really quickly ???

MaC_X
07-29-2010, 10:21 PM

does this happen when turning left to right really quickly ???

not quickly, but when like making a turn slow..

CubanCt9a
10-07-2010, 10:45 AM
This Happens To me as well, but when im going up or down driveways at really slow speeds, like a clunk sound coming from the front center

lowso
10-07-2010, 10:49 AM
i hear a clunk from the front left side like right on top of the wheel when i do left or right turns any were from 5mph-45mph

demetry14
10-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I had this exact issue when i first purchase my X, it ended up being a bushing from the factory that was not placed exactly right.Â* They fixed it in a matter of minutes.

I know have the sound @ 48,000+ miles when first taking off at a light and it sounds like a squeak/clunk.Â* Thinking it might be that same bushing as it is coming from the same side (driver side).

j_nizzle
10-11-2010, 01:57 AM
tighten the bolts that hold the strut in place...both the 3 that are on the tower above the wheel well and the 2 holding the strut to the control arm.

JayDub514
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Hmmm, I think i'm having a similar issue as the OP -- I've read somewhere that this is noise has a habit of coming on after a rain (which we've had in socal last week).Â*

It's louder in cabin than outside, honestly sounds like a "twang" type noise when moving the steering wheel at low speeds, or even parked.Â* Definitely from the front, and to me it sounds dead center. Upper strut bolts including the center 2 were tightened, sound is still there. It's definitely coming towards the bottom of the suspension/steering rather than from the top.

I'm only at about 16k on my 08 so I hope it wouldn't be anything letting go just yet, but you never know.

I like to Smash
10-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Hmmm, I think i'm having a similar issue as the OP -- I've read somewhere that this is noise has a habit of coming on after a rain (which we've had in socal last week).Â*

It's louder in cabin than outside, honestly sounds like a "twang" type noise when moving the steering wheel at low speeds, or even parked.Â* Definitely from the front, and to me it sounds dead center. Upper strut bolts including the center 2 were tightened, sound is still there. It's definitely coming towards the bottom of the suspension/steering rather than from the top.

I'm only at about 16k on my 08 so I hope it wouldn't be anything letting go just yet, but you never know.

I havent gotten a chance to take a second look. But i will keep looking. I have been driving around but not noticeing this clunk due to the fact that i dont move my steering wheel, left to right to imitate the noise. It surely only happens when i move it left to right in a quick manner back and forth. then i hear something from the rear section of the car, or right in the middle underneath somewhere. Its annoyiny :(

tighten the bolts that hold the strut in place...both the 3 that are on the tower above the wheel well and the 2 holding the strut to the control arm.

Ill have to check once i get some lift time at the shop....