PDA

View Full Version : engine swap from evo 9 to evo 8

evolution2.0.0.3
05-25-2010, 04:54 AM
New to the game of evo's well my block to a shit so I'm goin to swap an evo 9 mr motor with tranny 6 speed it comes with the harness. What else do I need But. my 03 evo8 doesn't have the acd. Do I need it and also will my transfer case fit on the evo 9 set up.

Reese Tuning
05-25-2010, 08:22 PM
If you would like some help please the call shop.

James

blueprint
05-26-2010, 10:46 AM
you will need the full evo 9 longblock as well as engine harness and ecu.

blueprint
05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/engine-turbo/423980-evo-8-9-engine-swap.html

lots of threads on evom... this should help you out.

HMatt
05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Or just swap the blocks... just sayin.

hiphopfeinds
05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Someone plz chime in on this one but imo u should just go with a 8 block and use the extra money on go fast mods I heard u need a lot of sensors and such from the 9 for the mi vec

HMatt
05-27-2010, 01:49 PM
And there is no point going with the 6-speed... at least not until somebody starts doing upgrades on them.

I also misunderstood when I made my last post. I was thinking you were doing this because you blew your motor... the easiest way would just to put the 9 head and sensors right on your stock block, 9 engine harness, and 9 ecu... the 5-speed is a stronger tranny anyway, and if both blocks are stock, you don't need to go through more trouble than you have to...

Also with less trouble, 8's and 9's pretty much have the same power once modded, just the 8s just dont have mivec, so that's less crap to tune and worry about. Ever notice how AMS and even James himself have 8's? I mean, come on... if the gains with the mivec weren't neglegible, don't you think they would have 9's?

evolution2.0.0.3
05-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Yea my motor took a bad shot so it needs a rebuilt I'm getting the engine,tranny an harnes for a good deal just tought of swapping thatv one in the car till I build the 8 motor

HMatt
05-27-2010, 07:25 PM
well... like I said... you can throw that bottom end in without any issue or wiring at all. If you want the head too, then you are going to have to put in the new wiring harness and ecu to make it work.

Like I said before though... I wouldn't put in the 6-speed. They aren't as strong as the 5's, so it will be more of a downgrade.... UNLESS your tranny is grinding and locking out on you, then go ahead and throw it in and send the 5-speed off to be built-up when you get the funds.

My 6-speed is perfect, but I don't beat on my car, and I'm really just waiting for shep or tre to come out with thier stronger internals so I can finally pull my motor and tranny and build them.

blueprint
05-28-2010, 09:01 AM
first and foremost what do you want out of the car? is it for track purposes or is the car mostly street driven? i've tracked many times on my MR 6 Speed without any problems and cruising on the hwy with the 6 speed is awesome.

if all you plan on doing is doing bolt ons with a tune than you can't go wrong with a MIVEC IX Engine. If you plan on going all out than perhaps the VIII Engine is where you should be going.

IX's respond much better to basic mods than VIII's. :)

anxiouz
05-28-2010, 09:20 AM
If you drive on the highway a lot and are getting the 6sp in the deal (and don't mind the time/expense of install), I think it would be nice to have if it's in good shape. "Cruising" between 70-80mph in a 5sp is around 3500-3700rpm or so which isn't the best for MPGs. If you're mostly city or are going to mod the car heavily then stick with the 5sp.

evolution2.0.0.3
05-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone for given me yeah I'm getting the hole long block with the lsd diff turbo,harness and ecu it only has 25k on it brand new act clutch in it. From an se mr edition

evolution2.0.0.3
05-28-2010, 08:43 PM
I forgot I'm doing all the installation my self

HMatt
05-29-2010, 07:48 AM
ok, well... if you want to put the acd transfer case in, you are looking at a severe pain in the ass because your car didn't come with one. I would recommend you keep your old transfer case and sell the acd one. I'm sure someone will spend a few hundred on it...

Did you say MR SE? Hate to break it to you buddy, but the SE version was basically an MR, but with the 5-speed and a special interior... I heard there was a hanfull that got 6-speeds, but I've only ever actually seen 1. You sure it's a 6-speed? If you have it out already, the easiest way to tell is the 6-speed's oil drain and fill plugs take an allen wrench to undo. The 5-speeds look like regular old bolts.

jamesinger
05-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I forgot I'm doing all the installation my self

Just for Starters you should buy the book that Robert Garcia from RRE wrote with some other dude. It will give you an overall idea of what you are dealing with and it does go into detail about head swaps from non-mivec to mivec as well as full swaps and what you need. It isn't a step by step but it is a good starter. I know a lot more about EVOs and DSM 4G engines after reading this book. It is really good.
Here is a link to the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Performance-Mitsubishi-Engines-Design-Performance/dp/1932494626/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275160887&sr=8-1

anxiouz
05-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Did you say MR SE? Hate to break it to you buddy, but the SE version was basically an MR, but with the 5-speed and a special interior... I heard there was a hanfull that got 6-speeds, but I've only ever actually seen 1.

Is that really true? I thought all 8/9 MR's were 6MT...with the SE just added the aero, wheels, and red stitching.

HMatt
05-29-2010, 03:28 PM
^idk man... i've seen one "MR SE" with the 6-speed, and the guy said his came like that. Every other SE or MR SE I've seen had the 5-speed.

blueprint
05-29-2010, 06:33 PM
MR SE's were all 6 speed. SE because of the lip and red stitched seats. Aluminum roof was standard as well as bilstein shocks and BBS Wheels.

GSR SE's were 5 speeds that inherit all the MR's features minus of course the transmission. They also came equipped with a different colored BBS Wheels.

jamesinger
05-29-2010, 09:26 PM
MR SE's were all 6 speed. SE because of the lip and red stitched seats. Aluminum roof was standard as well as bilstein shocks and BBS Wheels.

GSR SE's were 5 speeds that inherit all the MR's features minus of course the transmission. They also came equipped with a different colored BBS Wheels.

I remember the first time I shopped for an EVO, the clueless sales person at Glendale was trying to explain all the different models to me and I was like "WTF?" and I left. GSR, GSR SSS, GSR SE, MR, MR SE...FQ50000000...OMGLOLWTFBBQMRSEFQ900000...

HMatt
05-30-2010, 01:02 AM
^damn... aight... no wonder there was all kinda confusion... gotcha...

evolution2.0.0.3
05-30-2010, 11:02 AM
its a 6 speed tranny.

anxiouz
05-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys. I learned something new today. :)

HMatt
05-30-2010, 02:09 PM
^werd

jamesinger
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
The IX MR SE was 6 speed, at least the one I drove was. The IX SE had the Bilstein's, so it was like an MR with a 5 speed in that regard. Before I got my VIII, I had one friend with an AS IX MR SE and another friend with an AS IX SE and the only difference I could pick out was the trans. I might be wrong though. I actually think Mitsu should chill on having 800 different models and just have like 3 that are totally solid.

HMatt
05-30-2010, 09:24 PM
^now you know that wouldn't fly in america! we love our choices!

jamesinger
05-30-2010, 10:05 PM
haha. true.