PDA

View Full Version : Problems with board moderators

kaj
05-30-2010, 01:44 PM
i had a brief encounter with a moderator on this site.

my question: if a moderator has acted poorly, is there any reprecussion? is there a way to get my account put back to the way it was? is there any point in putting it up for discussion or is it done and over?

i ask, because i feel i was treated unfairly and it resulted in my account being modifed. i have the whole conversation in print, so nobody thinks i'm making things up or trying to make the guy look bad.
i help run a web forum and we 100% support our moderators and their actions are the final word. then again, we don't have people that treat members like this.

the guy resorted to some mild personal comments, and general bad attitude. i emailed the webmaster here, but got no reply. i've never seen this happen on anther site and i am quite surprised and a bit appalled.

anyway, i just want to know if i'm making a big deal out of nothing. my post count has been set to "0". i got banned for three days. i was never rude to the guy.

just looking for some advice. thanks, guys. i'm hoping he doesn't delete this and ban the account again. no biggie if he does as i have a couple other accounts from other IPs.. but still.

i'm not some punk kid that harasses people online. in fact, i'm far too old to deal with power trips.

anyone?

evolution8mirage
05-30-2010, 01:55 PM
WOW, well i dont really know what happened, but i think there should be someone you can report to about moderators. but i dont know who.
i haven't had a problem with any moderators and hopefully i never do.

but good luck and hopefully the differences between you and the moderator get resolved.

kaj
05-30-2010, 02:04 PM
WOW, well i dont really know what happened, but i think there should be someone you can report to about moderators. but i dont know who.
i haven't had a problem with any moderators and hopefully i never do.

but good luck and hopefully the differences between you and the moderator get resolved.

well. it was weird. i've delt with the guy before, asking to buy parts here and there. i've never had issues before either. i'm a member on about 30 different forums. NEVER had this happen.
i'm assuming it was a misunderstanding, but i never got a chance to find out. and when i questioned the actions, i got banned for three days.
i'm not saying he's a bad guy or a jerk. i do think it was all inappropriate. i can tell he was pretty pissed by the personal comments he made, but i'm not 100% sure why.
i've shown the posts and PMs to everyone i know and they are all a bit not-so-sure what happened.

i'm trying not to really make a big deal of this or complain... but to have my account messed with is a bit much, IMO. most importantly, i'd like to reach someone "in charge" to get a "we'll look into it" or even a "our moderators do what they want, suck it up" response. LOL

i'm waiting to hear back from the guy now. he says he warned me because, after accepting my invitation to check my account (to verify i'm looking to buy a part like what he was selling, hence the questions), he says all my posts are spam.

i dunno. the only thing i can think is that i didn't put my original question in a "happy enough" way? or maybe i'm not supposed to ask technical questions in a for sale thread? i was wanting to know how to use a UICP with a BOV without making the car run like crap.

was i out of line?

i have no problem admitting when i'm wrong about something. that's why i made this thread. i'll even apologize to the guy, if i did something wrong.

???

S2myEVO
05-30-2010, 02:10 PM
usually the mods here are against people who join the boards only looking to sell parts but to buy parts is something i think is preposterous! who cares if you just wanna buy something.

Gear Grinder
05-30-2010, 02:13 PM
The best thing to do it chalk it up to experience, and try to stay out of that persons way. You need to understand that this is a privately owned forum, and such, you have no rights. There is very little "moderation" here, and when they do, it's usually something personal. It may seem unfair, but in the end, it's just a stupid car forum. Â* Â* 2c

btw- Is this Keven?

kaj
05-30-2010, 02:20 PM
usually the mods here are against people who join the boards only looking to sell parts but to buy parts is something i think is preposterous! who cares if you just wanna buy something.

i do have a coupla for sale ads here. the site i help run is FULL of people only looking to sell parts (mostly honda). we don't mind, as parts are parts and it's nice to have a large pool to choose from.

i THINK i've made plenty of other posts here, besides the few items i've sold. i know i've bought more here than sold.

i'm in fresno (norcal? socal? hell i dunno LOL) so i don't post here REGULARLY. maybe that's what why he thought all i did here is spam?

my exact words (if i remember correctly.. posts have all been deleted) were, "i see lots of these for sale on many sites. how can we run a VTA BOV without making the car run like ass?".
i'm a ricer. i admit it. i miss the sound of my BOV and kinda want one. LOL
anyway... he deleted my post and told me if i were to post anything negative in another for-sale thread (especially HIS), i'd be banned from the for sale forum. i was stunned.

so, i guess i needed to word the question more polite? or not ask a tech question? it's possible i didn't understand the classified has a "0-tolerance policy" on going off-topic in a for sale thread?

The best thing to do it chalk it up to experience, and try to stay out of that persons way. You need to understand that this is a privately owned forum, and such, you have no rights. There is very little "moderation" here, and when they do, it's usually something personal. It may seem unfair, but in the end, it's just a stupid car forum. 2c

btw- Is this Keven?

that's pretty much the impression i got. i'm familiar with smaller, personal forums. i kinda figured that is what the deal was. i guess it just sucks. LOL

as you say: it's just a forum. there's many, many others.

thanks, guys.

kaj
05-30-2010, 02:25 PM
btw- Is this Keven?

am i kevin? no. is the moderator kevin? i have no clue. LOL. i don't know anyone's names here and i kinda prefer to keep the guys' screen name out of it. i'm not trying to cause trouble, just find out WTF i did wrong. LOL

Gear Grinder
05-30-2010, 02:28 PM
btw- Is this Keven?

am i kevin? no. is the moderator kevin? i have no clue. LOL. i don't know anyone's names here and i kinda prefer to keep the guys' screen name out of it. i'm not trying to cause trouble, just find out WTF i did wrong. LOL
I was asking your name. I thought you might be someone I know.

kaj
05-30-2010, 02:29 PM
btw- Is this Keven?

I was asking your name. I thought you might be someone I know.

no, sir. name's Jason. good to meet ya, though.

GokuSSJ4
05-30-2010, 09:56 PM
If you have been part of different forums and especially of a mod team, I would expect for you to understand things a bit better than most.
Running a site isn't easy when you have people posting everywhere!!! Now if you bother to take the time and read some of the stickies we have place in every section, you will understand why you were banned for 3 days.
Also the fact that it seemed as you trying to increase your post count to sale parts is a big no no.. Since it doesn't require much to get to the amount require to do so.
We get a lot of people that pollute threads just with the main purpose to gain post count in order to sale items in the classifieds.
This doesn't allow any feedback from forum members to obtain when people are allow to continue on the forums with this type of behavior. We aren't very demanding when being compare to other forums (i have been a member of worst forums in the past)

mrobs15
05-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Your posts say that you didn't do anything wrong.. That seems relative to what you think is wrong.. Just cause you feel like it was no big deal to do certain things doesn't make it okay everywhere. This website has a strong sense of community, so people get irritated if it feels like the only reason you are using the forum is for personal gain. Â*Hope you can work it out.

kaj
05-31-2010, 09:35 AM
If you have been part of different forums and especially of a mod team, I would expect for you to understand things a bit better than most.

i thought i did. we've never treated members like this be they new or old.

mrobs15:

exactly: I'm not seeing how I'm using the board for personal gain any more than anyone else does (isn't that kinda why these boards exist??), other than to buy parts and ask for tech help. If you guys think that's wrong, then that would explain everything and I won't post here any more.
Since I don't live in So Cal, I'm not a regular here. But when I'm trying to find parts or am having a problem with my car (or if I have advice for someone that has the same problem I had), I search the entire internet, to the best of my ability. Back when I bought my evo, I did a search and this is one of the sites that came up....so....it worked out well cause I worked in LA, which made picking up parts a snap. Hell, because of this site, I was able to replace all my crash beams and intercooler.
Anyway, it's not a problem and I'm not upset to not be "part of the crowd". I get it, no worries and no sarcasm here. you guys want to know everyone that posts in the for sale section so you feel you won't get scammed. on the site i help run, we made the a seperate classified section and linked to it, for just this reason. we have a smaller section on the main board that is only for people with high post counts. so, as i say: i do understand.
Thanks for the explanation, guys. That's pretty much all I was looking for. Good luck with your site. I kinda don't feel welcome and don't believe I'll be back.
Thanks for reading and all the helpful replies, fellas.
;)

Sam Smash
05-31-2010, 09:42 AM
i always settle my issues with moderators with a street race

kaj
05-31-2010, 09:45 AM
i always settle my issues with moderators with a street race

saw this before i logged out and LOLed. thanks for injection some humor into this. haha.

Sam Smash
05-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Smash