PDA

View Full Version : Make Gas Better...

demetry14
06-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Even better for daily drivers ~1-3 MPG increase.Â* Removes the crazy idle the 08-10 Evo X has and helps fuel economy along with lowering emissions.

Daily Drivers...
Fill up your tank about 1/2 way.
Put 3oz Acetone in for a full tank. (or 2oz for each 10gal)
Fill your tank the rest of the way.

Racers...
Apply the Math if you place 1gal of gas in a fuel cell use .3oz of acetone.
But 1/2oz would be OK too.

lowso
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
isnt race gas like 12$ though? so for the 1-3 mpg i think 91 or e85 would still be better?

demetry14
06-22-2010, 10:38 AM
My bad, I didn't mean to put race in the title.

I have been doing this for about a month now and have notice that the mileage varies between 2oz & 3oz per 10gal of gas. I have been using 2.25oz per 10gal of gas and have on average been getting an additional 2-3mpg over standard.

MA70Snowman
11-28-2010, 09:17 PM
is there a benefit to say using.. 4oz? or do you just start getting diminishing returns?

07outty
12-19-2010, 03:39 PM
...sounds interesting.........and easy.

how about giving a brief explanation of why/how it works.

thanks

kandyredcoi
12-19-2010, 03:57 PM
+1
and by acetone u mean....?

Black Evo Beauty
12-20-2010, 12:43 AM
+2

Black Evo Beauty
12-20-2010, 12:47 AM
My bad, I didn't mean to put race in the title.

I have been doing this for about a month now and have notice that the mileage varies between 2oz & 3oz per 10gal of gas. I have been using 2.25oz per 10gal of gas and have on average been getting an additional 2-3mpg over standard.
r u talking about nail polish remover?

Blaze
12-21-2010, 09:50 AM
I should point out that getting the mixtures wrong can be detrimental to your vehicles.

There are a lot of articles out there on the net on cutting gas and raising octane levels by using acetone or similar. IMO, it's not worth the risk. But if you must proceed, please do a little more research and understand WHAT you are doing beyond a 2 sentence blurb you saw online about adding rogue chemicals to your tank.

blkside
12-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Ok these type of topics come up all the time. Why do you buy a performance car and then worry about mileage. It's performance first then a sedan second. If you want an economy first,performance second sedan then get an Si sedan and you'll be great. I'm not a fan of these types of site cause all the op did was copy it from somewhere else. He doesn't have any clue as to the theory behind cutting it ,he just passes it along so let's stop the dumb shit and be wary of it cause if your worry about gas mileage , go get a good tune. It makes more sense.

choicelaw
12-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Ok these type of topics come up all the time. Why do you buy a performance car and then worry about mileage. It's performance first then a sedan second. If you want an economy first,performance second sedan then get an Si sedan and you'll be great. I'm not a fan of these types of site cause all the op did was copy it from somewhere else. He doesn't have any clue as to the theory behind cutting it ,he just passes it along so let's stop the dumb shit and be wary of it cause if your worry about gas mileage , go get a good tune. It makes more sense.

^werd. Besides, it will automatically void your warranty. . .

2muchboost
12-21-2010, 10:37 AM
I would worry to much about hurting the motor, fuel injectors, etc. and Mitsu doing a gas analysis and voiding your warranty. Â*:P
I can understand demetry14's wanting to get better gas millage, there is nothing wrong with that. Â*Most people daily drive their evo's
with the occasional spirited punch here and there so there is nothing wrong with wanting to get the most MPG when you are just cruising around town.
If MPG is your goal i think a better idea would be to have 2 or 3 maps on the car. 91oct-performance map, 91-oct MPG map, and even go as far as an 87-oct MPG map.
Thats the route i would go.

blkside
12-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Agreed....

I didn't mean there is anything wrong with wanting mpg but there seems to be too much concern about it...

2muchboost
12-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I got ya....
I get the best MPG when im drafting Alex in the Vette and BL mike is bump drafting me in his Stang.. :D

blkside
12-21-2010, 11:14 AM
You coming to REAM?

2muchboost
12-21-2010, 11:46 AM
^
YES!
I am very disappointed at how over the top Mitsu is getting with their Nazi warranty voiding techniques....

darkevo
12-21-2010, 11:53 AM
what's the best way to improve gas mileage in the 90-120mph range?Â* Â*O0

2muchboost
12-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Remove your wing and tape up all openings in the front! lol

The Jake
12-21-2010, 11:59 AM
You've been watching NASCAR haven't you? My hokeyness is rubbing off on you. lol

2muchboost
12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
You know it!

mehsdomi
12-25-2010, 12:49 PM
I know the Cobb increased my gas mileage some

mazdaspeed619sd
01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
MPG? Gut out the trunk first of all, all the carpet =) and the spare? who uses a spare (Jm around)? Take out half of the rear seats in the back and there you go. You probably gained 1MPG lol.

VinceR
01-28-2011, 04:00 PM
the acetone does work I tried it on my evo, although I saw a decrease of mpg after I added more after every gas tank. It seems like the acetone lingers in the fuel system or it settles down in the fuel tank; so I putÂ* in 2 oz after every 3rd tank and it definitely raised my mpg.

The eratic idle your car has might be gone because of the small increase of octane it provides.

I put nitrogen in my tires and found an increase of MPG as good as the acetone
doing so is a lot easier than putting acetone every time I put gas in my car.

I dont put acetone in my gas tank anymore as the evo is not my daily driver.

Rencii
01-28-2011, 07:35 PM
i REALLY doubt putting nitrogen in your tire increased your MPG. Think about it.... its not like you're shaving weight off the car or changing the amount of fuel going into your engine. The only positives Nitrogen in tires provide is more consistent air pressures as the tires go through temps and less permeation of air through the tire over time. Checking your air pressures ever other week will do the same thing =P

VinceR
01-28-2011, 09:18 PM
i REALLY doubt putting nitrogen in your tire increased your MPG. Think about it.... its not like you're shaving weight off the car or changing the amount of fuel going into your engine. The only positives Nitrogen in tires provide is more consistent air pressures as the tires go through temps and less permeation of air through the tire over time. Checking your air pressures ever other week will do the same thing =P

oh but you are shaving unsprung weight of the car, nitrogen weighs less than air. Another example is that I told my girlfriend to put nitrogen into her new 2011 genesis coupe since she has a mpg gauge in her car.
her gas mileage went up from 17.7 mpg to 19.9 mpg and she saw the difference in a 2 days and has been consistently getting the same mpg. I do check my car tire pressure and keep it at 35psi. I dont daily drive it anymore so mpg isnt a big deal for me anymore.

demetry14
03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
I so don't come on here much anymore. "pretty surprised anyone else tried this"

But the Acetone does work...Â* I started seeing less mileage and moved to every third tank.Â* Seems the acetone would linger if i filled up with a single line on my gauge.Â* So instead of risking running completely out I moved to 1 in ever 3 fills.Â* Nitrogen in the tires is ok too if you like paying for your tire fill every week or 2.Â* Removing everything from the trunk even the spare works for me but has no effect of any MPG.

I am not exactly worried about the warranty anymore as Mitsu already screwed me many times and I am out of warranty anyway.

blkside
03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Ok there is no way that nitrogen increased your MPG at all. First the only reason people use nitrogen is because it is a STABLE gas. If you were really worried about the weight of your tires, why arent you using them filled with helium.

Nitrogen is used due to its stability and the ability to maintain pressures over various temperature ranges. That is the reason we use it in aviation. If an Airliner went to 40,000 feet and within 30 minutes landed in Arizona where it was 110 degrees and the tires were filled with ambient air, they would explode from the temp difference.

And honestly posting that the acetone isnt working much is more proof that passing along information like this without facts supported by an industry expert is dangerous to those who are willing to try it.

VinceR
03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Ok there is no way that nitrogen increased your MPG at all. First the only reason people use nitrogen is because it is a STABLE gas. If you were really worried about the weight of your tires, why arent you using them filled with helium.

Nitrogen is used due to its stability and the ability to maintain pressures over various temperature ranges. That is the reason we use it in aviation. If an Airliner went to 40,000 feet and within 30 minutes landed in Arizona where it was 110 degrees and the tires were filled with ambient air, they would explode from the temp difference.

And honestly posting that the acetone isnt working much is more proof that passing along information like this without facts supported by an industry expert is dangerous to those who are willing to try it.

well then wouldn't the stable nitrogen pressure be better for MPG since is more stable and hold longer than air pressure??? besides any weight loss in unsprung weight is better than no weight loss at all, especially if its for such a small price.

blkside
03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Its more stable in the aspect that in the morning when its 30 degrees outside, your tire temps wont be underpressure from the temp drop.

So if you look at it like this - at normal operating temperature, if you got 25mpg having nitrogen in your tires wont change because everything is at optimal pressures and temps. SO if you use that as your baseline, you wont see an improvement. But you wont be servicing your tires as often so the important part is that you save time...