PDA

View Full Version : Just got a flat. Questions about replacement.

XKalibur84
06-14-2010, 09:09 PM
First of all, 2010 Evo GSR.Â* Everything stock.

**edit** I forgot to mention I bought the car around mid April and have a little under 3,000 miles on the car.Â* **end edit**

Okay, my left rear wheel got a 1 inch cut sliced into it on my way home from some random object I didn't see on the road.Â* Anyway, I got a few questions regarding replacement:

1) The stock wheels cost a bit over $300 from what I last read.Â* Can I buy just one and replace the flat or do I have to replace all 4 of them?

2) If I have to replace all 4 of them, I was thinking of going with the Yokohama S.Drives instead since it's about half the price for one tire.Â* If I do go this route, will it mess up the tire pressure sensor?

3) Would it be advisable to get my tire replaced at a Mistu Dealer shop or would I be okay with going to a third party shop like Discount Tire Co?

I had one more question, but I forgot...anyway, thanks for anyone who could help me with this!

b
06-17-2010, 02:47 PM
First of all, 2010 Evo GSR.Â* Everything stock.

**edit** I forgot to mention I bought the car around mid April and have a little under 3,000 miles on the car.Â* **end edit**

Okay, my left rear wheel got a 1 inch cut sliced into it on my way home from some random object I didn't see on the road.Â* Anyway, I got a few questions regarding replacement:

1) you can find them used here for cheap.

2) nope unless you roll low low low profile tires then yeah.

3) tire sensor is on the rim not the tire bro.

xhazeyx
06-17-2010, 03:12 PM
You should be fine at 3000 miles... if this happened further down the line, at around 10k miles, then you might have to replace all four.

Rencii
06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
1) it really depends on how low the tread depth is on the other tires.... if you have more than a 3-4 mm difference between tires it could mess up the differentials and if that's the case then you'll have to replace all 4. If its less than 2mm difference i wouldn't worry about it.

2) No it won't mess up the TPMS. Get whatever tire you want, just make sure you get the right size so that your odometer and speedometer read correctly. If you get a tire size too big or too small, the speedometer and odometer will either read too high or too low since they measure off of the overall circumference of the tire.

3) no you do not have to go to a dealer for tire mounting balancing... actually most dealers are really bad with tires from what I've heard (there definitely are exceptions). America's tire co (or discount tire) is probably one of the best tire shops out there with some of the best customer service you can have. They repair flats (if their fixable) and inspect your tires for free if you bring in your car to them. The flip side is that for mounting and balancing they are a lil expensive, but you're guaranteed a good job. I've heard alot of horror stories about firestone stores, sears and costco places... so try avoiding them since they tend to hire whatever joe shmo who says they know something about tires.... discount tire actually trains their employees and uses an system based on experience before letting anyone mount a tire.

choicelaw
06-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree that at 3000 miles you should be fine just replacing the single tire.