PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, new 06 IX mr owner here! A few quick ?'s

TehPantyThief
06-14-2010, 09:20 PM
After purchasing the vehicle roughly a month ago I'm starting to see a great many things need fixing.

So far the list of nagging issues below most important to least:

clutch is worn and according to socalmitsu it has been overheated, in current condition it is very hard to drive smoothly, engages at 2" from end of travel and engages fully in 1/8" of travel (not sure if clutch is stock or aftermarket)
grinding/rubbing noise coming from left side of engine case when cold (dealership has diagnosed this as a worn timing belt, or bearing)
loud harsh slam noise and impact heard/felt from rear of car during hard acceleration and shifting ( can be very harsh at times)
brakes feel mushy and as though you need to stand on them to get good stopping power
car pulling to the right (out of alignment)
several small dents around the body and hood
front bumper is beat up and held on with zip ties
tires are bald. lol.

I'm in serious need of your collective experience in dealing with the above issues, I would like not to make any major mistakes. thoughts or opinions are very welcome, even if negative.

Thanks

anxiouz
06-14-2010, 09:56 PM
What are your questions? Sounds like SCM diagnosed it all already. There are no trivial fixes to the things you mentioned except for the noise from the rear when accelerating....that just sounds like the spare tire/jack being loose.

As for the rest:
Do the 60k maint service, including flushing the brake fluid.
Get an alignment.
Replace the tires.
Replace the clutch if you have to.

Did you buy the car sight unseen? That's a lot to not have noticed.

XdsEVO8X
06-14-2010, 10:01 PM
the noise under hard shiftin thats the rear end, theres nothing wrong with it all evo's do it. look into the beatrush rear diffs buschings

and the over heating problem might be a bad water pump, your thermostat is sticking, a hairline crack in the radiator could be any of those problems

TehPantyThief
06-14-2010, 10:18 PM
you got me ;)... i guess I havent really asked any questions. Â*I'm mostly in need of some sage advice on the issues I'm facing. Â*I'll need some body work done, I'm curious to know of a particular shop that does paintless dent repair well and what to do about the bumper. Â*So far i've read that the ACT HDSS and streetlite flywheel are good choices and I've heard massimo might be a good person to have perform the clutch reinstall... Â*

As for noticing these things during the purchase of the car they were somewhat overlooked. Â*the car was seen by myself and the folks over at scm performed a 27 pt inspection and at the time the clutch was diagnosed as being OK. Â*A week later after I've driven it up in the canyons once or twice I started to experience a noticeably worse clutch feel and was beginning to really have problems driving the car smoothly and with more frequent first gear stalling. Â*It had been roughly one week when I took it back to SCM and they explained to me that the clutch was overheated and needed replacement.

This was a private party sale which at the time I overlooked the cosmetic flaws as I was more concerned about getting the car at a decent price than anything else. Â*Now i'm ready to have the thing fixed. Â*

as far as the slam goes the spare tire/ jack might be the ticket, could it also be driveline lash? Â*It sure felt like something is heavy and loose and slamming around. Â*I initially thought it was the speaker box that was installed by the first owner and then I removed it and the slamming continued.

jamesinger
06-14-2010, 10:20 PM
What are your questions? Â*Sounds like SCM diagnosed it all already. Â*There are no trivial fixes to the things you mentioned except for the noise from the rear when accelerating....that just sounds like the spare tire/jack being loose.

As for the rest:
Do the 60k maint service, including flushing the brake fluid.
Get an alignment.
Replace the tires.
Replace the clutch if you have to.

Did you buy the car sight unseen? Â*That's a lot to not have noticed.

+1 on the 60k service. Â*I did mine the week I got my EVO at SCM and they chased down a lot of the gremlins that way. Â*Buying a used EVO means shit has been done to it in most cases. Â*SCM and RRE could be your best friends to get your car tight. Â*It is hard to notice everything when you don't know the car super well. Â*Goof Luck!!

jamesinger
06-14-2010, 10:23 PM
you got me ;)... i guess I havent really asked any questions. Â*I'm mostly in need of some sage advice on the issues I'm facing. Â*I'll need some body work done, I'm curious to know of a particular shop that does paintless dent repair well and what to do about the bumper. Â*So far i've read that the ACT HDSS and streetlite flywheel are good choices and I've heard massimo might be a good person to have perform the clutch reinstall... Â*

As for noticing these things during the purchase of the car they were somewhat overlooked. Â*the car was seen by myself and the folks over at scm performed a 27 pt inspection and at the time the clutch was diagnosed as being OK. Â*A week later after I've driven it up in the canyons once or twice I started to experience a noticeably worse clutch feel and was beginning to really have problems driving the car smoothly and with more frequent first gear stalling. Â*It had been roughly one week when I took it back to SCM and they explained to me that the clutch was overheated and needed replacement.

This was a private party sale which at the time I overlooked the cosmetic flaws as I was more concerned about getting the car at a decent price than anything else. Â*Now i'm ready to have the thing fixed. Â*

as far as the slam goes the spare tire/ jack might be the ticket, could it also be driveline lash? Â*It sure felt like something is heavy and loose and slamming around. Â*I initially thought it was the speaker box that was installed by the first owner and then I removed it and the slamming continued.

I have heard this place is awesome:
http://sosdent.com/

Also the RRE clutch on my car is pretty much butter. I would check it for sure. Their prices are reasonable and their work is always perfect. From what I gather is that any shop that is close to you on this site would be a good pick though.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm

TehPantyThief
06-14-2010, 10:23 PM
the noise under hard shiftin thats the rear end, theres nothing wrong with it all evo's do it. look into the beatrush rear diffs buschings

and the over heating problem might be a bad water pump, your thermostat is sticking, a hairline crack in the radiator could be any of those problems

Thanks for the suggestion on the beatrush rear diff bushing. Â*I'll look into this, it can be a pretty violent slam at times, almost feels like the drive train is just going to fall apart or tear off. Â*The overheating comment I made was only in reference to the clutch. Â*the water temp and engine temps are all running normal.

XdsEVO8X
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion on the beatrush rear diff bushing. Â*I'll look into this, it can be a pretty violent slam at times, almost feels like the drive train is just going to fall apart or tear off. Â*The overheating comment I made was only in reference to the clutch. Â*the water temp and engine temps are all running normal.

good luck O0

anxiouz
06-15-2010, 09:02 AM
+1 on the RRE clutch. I had that in my last Evo and loved it. It was a good price and really nice and easy to live with.

And Massimo is great for anything. Personally I would just take the car to RRE and let them do a 60k service and another inspection while they're at it. They're much quicker and better at finding things than SCM in my experience...SCM has had my car for 3-4 days at a time to troubleshoot one issue. On more than one occassion.

pink godzila
06-17-2010, 10:48 AM
How many mileage? BTW... where did you found this MR from?