PDA

View Full Version : ACD Tarmac/Gravel.. question

pink godzila
06-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Did some of the reseach before I post this... this might be a stupid question but I really want to know if this might fix the early T-case problem and like to heard what you guys have to say.

Most EVO has T-case (transfercase) problem and is a paint in the a$$ if your run out your powertran warranty. So I was thinking why not switch the ACD mod to gravel. Because gravel put most force toward the rear diff and tarmac are mainly in front. So the T-case has less pressure if switching to gravel? correct me if im wrong.. new to evo and came from a RWD.

I had try and feel the differece from gravel and tarmac at GMR. Feel like tarmac are more pressure in front and handel like a FWD and after switch to gravel, feel like the force are more in rear it give me less understeering.

Massimo Power
06-17-2010, 11:51 AM
The way ACD works is that the Diff locks to keep the power feeding more evenly... It does not transfer power from the front to the rear wheels. ACD Settings feed different information to an actuator that feeds fluid to a clutch pack that locks and unlocks at different intervals and speeds according to the ACD setting as well as inputs from steering angle and g-force sensors in the car.

Mitsubishi recomends you set your ACD settings to tarmac because tarmac is the quickest and loosest setting on the tcase. Its best for grip surfaces and allows the rear wheels to slide a bit more or front wheels to slide a bit more.. etc..

Setting it to any other setting slows down the reaction of releasing the clutch packs as well as makes them clamp more to keep the front and rear wheels moving more evenly and at equal pace. Which is what you would want in an offroad situation.

If you use your snow or gravel ACD settings on a more grippy surface it will tend to put more wear and tear on the clutch packs and the tcase itself...

The Tcase problems you may have heard of are mainly due to people who drag race and cause alot of stress on the tcase.. or those who neglect their oil service intervals. Improper use of awd such as towing etc can also result in damage. Rest assured if you take care of your car it will take care of you...

Our race car has been tracking and going to canyons for the past 5 years. It has 100k miles on it and we have gone through 1 transmission which was replaced with another stocker due to a bad mishift... and thats it... Stock motor stock drivetrain and 400whp+ for the past 50k track miles...

pink godzila
06-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks Massimo......

jamesinger
06-26-2010, 08:43 PM
wow. I just read this today. Nice write up Massimo!!