PDA

View Full Version : Better auto-x times, what to do?

Ixse
06-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Looking to spend some $ for better perf..
it's be best if anyone can share their personal experience at track or auto-x and their experiences with time improvements from these modifications.
:-P

o-townFLA
06-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't know your entire track experience background, but how about more track experience? Then suspension, then more track time, then to tires and then more track time...

More power is the worst choice for you. Given the options you provided too...

S2myEVO
06-19-2010, 09:42 PM
shouldnt you focus first on chassis support?

Sam Smash
06-19-2010, 09:46 PM
its so hard for me to control what i really want to post.

bump

S2myEVO
06-19-2010, 09:46 PM
do tell sam

Sam Smash
06-19-2010, 09:49 PM
What to do to get better times. Hmmmmmm.......fuck. I cant do it. I just cant share. I would be the ultimate .....hahahahaha

btw

Bump

kambodianboi
06-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I would see the suspension being a big roll in auto-x.

jebus27
06-19-2010, 10:43 PM
suspension, brakes, and tires is were you are gonna see the most improvement, you dont need any more power than what you have

JT-KGY
06-20-2010, 05:31 PM
I assume you went SCCA autox...
Keep your car stock... modding your car throw you into different classes... stock Evo is plenty fast.

You should however get a good alignment done (max out your front negative camber) and good set of grippy tires to start (and still stay in the stock class).

Azian
06-20-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't know your entire track experience background, but how about more track experience? Then suspension, then more track time, then to tires and then more track time...

+12471578951789513789351

JT-KGY
06-20-2010, 11:09 PM
OP,

you need to put down "seat time, learn how to drive" on your list...

casperdomo
06-20-2010, 11:49 PM

X3244234

Ixse
06-21-2010, 09:52 AM
OP,

thx for your concern.
Seems like SCE always considers anyone who is not a track whore as if they do not understand how to drive
Please come out to adams motorsports park on tuesdays (pretty much like auto-x), and show me the real driving you so wish I need to learn, then maybe i'll take you comment seriously.
I'm obviously putting this up since I'm feeling like i've hit the wall on getting better times at auto-x , and just wanted more experienced drivers' opinions on next small step that could help me out.

evolved13
06-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Time for popcorn....

FUEL
06-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Suspension -----> Tires ------> Power Mods last. However IMO nothing beats seat time though in any form. Be it Auto X or the race track.

Learn to drive fast on shitty tires first... it's the advice I was given by Muellerized... when I was first starting out. Because then when you do get good tires... oh sweet Jesus it's just the best thing EVER!

Call up Mullerized... the shop loves Auto X customers too!

ARMORED SNAKE
06-21-2010, 11:01 AM
^^^Don't listen to this person. She is lying to you bro. First thing you should do is get a 35R and squeeze a 100 shot of Nawzz to spool the turbo. If you want suspension just cut your springs and bump stops. And if your serious pull out your back seat. You can also roll your windows up for extra Aerodynamic efficiency.

You will be the king at any Auto-X course with this set-up.

Jk.. Listen to Ms. Fuel. She knows what's up.

Ixse
06-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Suspension -----> Tires ------> Power Mods last.Â* However IMO nothing beats seat time though in any form. Be it Auto XÂ* or the race track.

Learn to drive fast on shitty tires first... it's the advice I was given by Muellerized... when I was first starting out. Because then when you do get good tires... oh sweet Jesus it's just the best thing EVER!

thx for your advice
I've already hit up mullerized a while ago.. and have their stg 1.. so my next step up will be coils.. (btw their stg 1 was definately worth every penny)
and i agree with you on the tires.. i've used up a set of falken 912s.. which was pretty bad on auto-x.. then i switch to nt05s.. what a difference..Â* just the tire change shaved off 1.5sec at adams.. also it felt like the car had less body roll, probably stiffer side walls i'm guessing..Â* but still the car seems to roll too much with stock suspension.. and the front seems unstable at times under hard cornering as i begin to partial throttle out of the corner.. (hard to describe.. but it kinda wabbles? ? )

FUEL
06-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Suspension -----> Tires ------> Power Mods last.Â* However IMO nothing beats seat time though in any form. Be it Auto XÂ* or the race track.

thx for your advice
I've already hit up mullerized a while ago.. and have their stg 1.. so my next step up will be coils.. (btw their stg 1 was definately worth every penny)
and i agree with you on the tires.. i've used up a set of falken 912s.. which was pretty bad on auto-x.. then i switch to nt05s.. what a difference..Â* just the tire change shaved off 1.5sec at adams.. also it felt like the car had less body roll, probably stiffer side walls i'm guessing..Â* but still the car seems to roll too much with stock suspension.. and the front seems unstable at times under hard cornering as i begin to partial throttle out of the corner.. (hard to describe.. but it kinda wabbles? ? )

The better tires will definitely help your times. If the car feels "unstable" or "wobbly" it may be the inner front tire losing contact during your turn in. You may need a more aggressive alignment it could help you out ... or if it's in your budget you may want to step up to coilovers soon!

JT-KGY
06-21-2010, 02:36 PM
OP,

OP,

thx for your concern.
Seems like SCE always considers anyone who is not a track whore as if they do not understand how to drive
Please come out to adams motorsports park on tuesdays (pretty much like auto-x), and show me the real driving you so wish I need to learn, then maybe i'll take you comment seriously.
I'm obviously putting this up since I'm feeling like i've hit the wall on getting better times at auto-x , and just wanted more experienced drivers' opinions on next small step that could help me out.

thx for your concern.

Dude.. chill out... make that "More seat time" then...

And why not ask experienced drivers at the event to take a few run with your car?
If he's beating you then you know you need to get better with driving before spending money on mods, right?

What autox event do you go to?

JT-KGY
06-21-2010, 02:39 PM
And what does mullerized stg1 consist of?

booster310
06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
^^^ I believe its strut bars, mullerized lowering springs and a nice alignment and corner balancing.

FUEL
06-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Strut bars? Do u mean sway bars?

If you go to the website you can see exactly what the stage 1 consists of.

There's a slight difference for a X then an VIII/ IX.

.airekone
06-22-2010, 12:04 AM
If you are already working on track time and if you are simply looking for better times, I would suggest stickier tires. Better tires will have the biggest effect on cutting down your times, from braking, turning, to accelerating out of corners. Keep in mind though that the grip from the stickier tires will give your car more roll on the stock suspension. Decide what tire you plan on mainly using (for a certain class or not) and then pick up some suspension set up for them. After you get your chassis figured out then I would add more power. Â* Â*

heartagram88
06-22-2010, 12:19 AM
OP, definatly come out to adams time attack tuesday...im always out there...i might be able to give you a few pointers...i may not be the fastest one out there but i could definatly give you a few pointers

Ixse
06-22-2010, 02:33 PM
^^^ i'm always out there.. 8~9 session.. i've been hitting 45.6~46 marker w/ current set up.. and just seem to stuck at that time for awhile now.. only guys that were much quicker at the track was jessie guy w/ red evo and another guy with white evo x who currently has track record.. if you are out there tonight i'll prolly see you there.=) they are holding consistancy series today~!! it'll be fun.

JT-KGY
07-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Ixse,

Have you try http://www.solo2.com/eventpage.asp?eid={275F81C6-D7CD-46DE-8E7C-87C547AD5567}
SCCA sanctioned autocross... different course every event...

You race with cars with similar class + similar mods... you're not faster just because you have better mods.. etc.

b505
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
mod the driver not the car... =) you already know that!